Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/187/120
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Thyroide??

Im not sure but I think i may have a throide problem since I havnt lossed any weight in so long , how would I come to this conclusion?? and would taking throide medication effect my weight loss my weight loss by not letting me lose anything im on atkins....some one plz advise me thanx
Lorena
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 17:26
Registered Member

Stats: 257/237/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

I have a thyroid problem and the only way to tell if you do have a tyroid disorder is to go to your doctor and have him do a blood test. It will take about 2 weeks to get back but it could be the problem. I found that I was taking thyroid pills and they were not doing the trick until my doctor told me to try LCing and the combination together has really worked well. He also checks my thyroid levels every 2 months and he says that they are getting better everytime. But I would have you TSH levels checked and your T4 levels checked that way you know if there is a problem or not.

Shondel
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 02:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Are you noticing any of the other symptoms of a low thyroid? Feeling cold all the time, dry hair, dry skin, constipation, tiredness? One thing you can check at home is your body temperature. Every morning for a week, take your temperature before you get out of bed. If you have a consistantly lower than average temperature it is usually a good indication that a trip to the doctor for a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test is in order.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 07:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Average Body Temp

Just FYI, Lorena, Average body temp is around 98.4 to 98.6 (give or take a tiny bit as everyone is different).

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 09:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Giving thyroid hormone as a weight loss aid was "popular" back in the 1970's ... but was stopped when they realized that giving it to someone who wasn't actually hypothyroid would cause the thyroid gland to stop functioning PERMANENTLY, thus causing the very disease it was intended to "help". As a consequence, doctors are very reluctant to prescribe, until blood and lab tests are done to confirm a diagnosis of hypothyroid.

Failure to lose weight when dieting is a concern IF you have followed the diet to the letter, without cheating -- or without undereating and trying to starve yourself, or without bingeing. According to your stats, you've already lost 133 lbs by following Atkins .. that's quite an achievement for 18 yrs old. You should have the diet memorized by now, and be at the point where you're able to help others and offer suggestions so that they can be as successful as you have been.

Perhaps you're closer to your goal weight than you think. You're 5'8" .. 120 lbs may be unrealistically low for you. Are you exercising? This will definitely be a boost to your metabolism, and should help your stall problem as well.

My suggestion is that you get right back to basics, and follow Dr. Atkins Induction AS WRITTEN in the book, for at least two weeks. Follow the sample menus exactly, and eat only the foods that are listed there, nothing else. No cheating! I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Good luck

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
Perhaps you're closer to your goal weight than you think. You're 5'8" .. 120 lbs may be unrealistically low for you. Are you exercising? This will definitely be a boost to your metabolism, and should help your stall problem as well.

Doreen is right about this, Lorena. Have you tried a body fat test to see just where you are right now? I have seen your journal and I know you do use the treadmill; its very likely that with this WOE and the exercise you've developed some muscle mass. Body fat for women should be between 15% and 22%, at 5'8" you might very well be close to your goal.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 12:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanx ....You girls are soo helpful dorren and Nat I dont know what I would do without u 2 see this is what I dont get I exercise almost everyday on the treadmill and ill do an aerobex tape..I havnt lossed anything in 4 month or more, the scale even goes up I am sticking 2 the diet , and I havnt gone off induction yet....I have a ? though whats the minimmum cals I could eat I have been eating 10 X my weight but I think this is the reason im not loosing maybe its to much 4 my SLOW mabablism 2 handle what do you all think? or maybe its cuz I get most my cals by eating mayo and it has sugar in it and its causing a stall? I cant think of another way 2 get cals in, and I like mayo..could u give me some advice thanx girls
Lorena
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: lc
Stats: 130/128/110 Female 5'1"
BF:33%
Progress: 10%
Default you could try...

Hi! congrats on your acheivement so far!

You could try changing your workout routine.... ie:

change the incline on the treadmill
walk a little faster or longer
add intervals (walk fast for a 30 seconds or a minute, then slow down till you catch your breath and repeat a few times during your walk)

probablay better - do something completely different like bike or exercise video, yoga etc.... any access to another exercise machine?

and probably best - add some weighttraining... this could make the biggest difference, more muscle speeds up your metabolism and you lose more fat with more muscle. There are great videos out there like The Firm or Crunch that use weights in their program and can be aimed at beginners. Or get a book by Joyce Vedral! or another beginner's weight training book.. check your library for videos and books!

It could be that your body is used to what you are doing, and you need to spice things up a bit.

good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 11:44

Stats: 180/131/145
BF:
Progress: 140%
Default Lorena

The first thing to do is to see if you have any of the symptoms for thyroid problems. You can go on a web site for it and look at the symptoms. Than go see your doctor if you feel that you have some of the symptoms, do not take for granted you do have a problem. Than if everything is fine than follow the advice about changing your workout routines. You should do aerobic type exercise one day than a weightbeaing or yoga or such the next day, and than aerobics again.
Hope this helps.

Cindy.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanx Girls Im doing everything you said...I think I should cut my cals down instead of eating 10x my body weight .....thanx 4 the advice!!
~*LORENA*~
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 12:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetLoren
Thanx Girls Im doing everything you said...I think I should cut my cals down instead of eating 10x my body weight .....thanx 4 the advice!!

Just make sure you don't lose muscles! Muscle-loss is the main culprit for slowing metabolism, and preventing fat-loss.

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 13:09

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default breaking a stall..

i know most of u say to exercise or go back to limiting carbs more to break a stall, but any thoughts to an actual increase in carbs? like a 1-time high carb meal, then go back to lowcarb/induction?
my theory is any change might jump start the body?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 13:45

Stats: 310/180/195
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi there,

There is more to thyroid than TSH and T4. I am hypo and have lost 122 pounds. These are the tests you need. I have to demand them from my doc.

TSH
FreeT4
FreeT3

TSH has a broad range. I feel best under 1. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone. The higher the number the more hypO (low).

FreeT4 and FreeT3 should be close to each other in range and close to the middle.

Most of the time people go into the doc and they tell them that there thyroid tested fine. If you have the symptoms then ask the doctor if you can try to optimize your numbers. I like Armour thyroid because it has T3. It seems to me that low carbers sometimes actually have a lower T3. I actually went clinical hypo after 6 months on low carb. I started on synthroid but have much better results with Armour and synthroid together.

Just make sure that you don't take thyroid Just to lose weight...if you don't have symptoms...don't mess with it.

read all you can at http://www.thyroid.about.com

Joe
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 13:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetLoren
I think I should cut my cals down instead of eating 10x my body weight

I think that's a bad idea, Lorena. Cutting calories will only cause your body to hold on to more and more water and fat as it waits for the impending famine it thinks is coming. Visit your doctor and have your thyroid tested, and if its been a while have your lipids done too. You do not want to mess with your health.

Nat
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanx for the advice nat You should be the one 2 know so im gonna listen to you....Im gonna go to my doctor and get some tests done, but I have a few Questions 4 u if you dont mind, What are lipids?? and if I do have a thyroid problem and have to take medication would this prevent me from loosing weight ..
Thanx
~*LORENA*~