Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:33
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default Clarification Re: working to failure

Hiya, BFL guys, I'm not doing the program any more but I'm still seriously weight lifting and I have a question about working to failure. Let's say I fail in the middle of my third set of leg presses. Should I then LOWER the weight until I can finish the set? Or just give up altogether? (BTW, I'm not doing pyramid style--just straight 15 reps in 3 sets).

Thanks for this clarification!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:56
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

When I fail, even on a BFL pyramid, I immediately lower the weight and finish the set with that lower weight. The only time I don't do this is when it's impractical to change the weight quickly, or when I think it would cause injury.

Emily
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:27

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I pretty much do the same as Emily. I lift to failure and if I am not done with that set then I will rest for about 10 seconds, if I still can't get anymore reps up, I lower the weight and finish the set.

Nothing is funnier when I am doing shoulder presses on the shoulder press machine with only 10 lbs on it, LoL. People look at me like I am crazy being a 6'5 260 lbs man that can't do 10 lbs. Little do they realize I have already done 5 sets for my shoulders and can barely raise my arms.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 05:50
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Thanks for the info. I belong to a gym with a lot of elderly people (even older than me, lol), so no one looks askance at what anyone else does--they're used to all sorts of idiosyncracies.

mrschmeltz--I always thought you were female--guess I read your username as *mrs chmeltz*, lol.