Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/212/195
BF:
Progress:
Cool Atkins

I have a question for the group. I started the Atkins almost 2 weeks ago. I am seeing positive results. I really didn't read the whole book but I got a good jist of whats going on. I have totally cut out carbs from my day... I mean not even 1gram in anything that I eat. Well actually every once in a while I will have a day with maybe 4grams because of onions or something. I guess what I am asking is it ok if I "cheat" a little. Well halloween is coming up, and I am a drinker and I miss it a lot. I just want to be able to drink 3 or 4 beers. Is that going to throw me out of ketosis? I was originally around 222lbs and I am now around 210. I want to get down to about 190-195 and build on another 10lbs of muscle. I want to meet my goal by Thanksgiving and am willing to do anything it takes. Will the alcohol ruine me?

Geeze this is turning into a muli-question post... Was anyone else here a smoker and quit smoking on this diet? I figure this would be the best time to quit because I can still eat fatty things to crave my hunger, but I have quitting (I will be using patches). I used to be in great shape but now that I work for a living I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day and I got fat! I am also trying to start excercising again I am hoping to to cardio in the morning and weight train at night. Are there any more possible health affects to using supplements now that I am depleting my body of carbs (creatine, andro). Well sorry everyone for asking so many questions but I have been reading over some past posts that have been very informative. Thanks in advance!

Gavin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 13:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Gavin and welcome to the forum. To answer your questions:

Drinking beer shouldn't throw you out of ketosis, if you drink it in moderation and if you stick to light. Light beer has about 4 - 5 g of carbs. Also, you body burns alcohol as ketone bodies regardless of whether you're LCing or not.

I would suggest you finish reading Dr. Atkins book, it was not intended as a 0 carb plan. 0 carb plans really aren't healthy. You do need those 20g of carbs from the green veggies ( you need their minerals and vitamins and fiber even more than you need their carbs). You might also be interested in know that unless all you're eating is unprocess meat and oils you have been eating some carbs (there are carbs in cream, eggs, bacon, saussages, coffee and SF jello).

I have heard that quitting smoking while on this WOL is somewhat easier; it also makes the plan work better as smoking causes an insulin rise. Qutting will improve your insulin sensitivity.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/212/195
BF:
Progress:

Well then I am eating carbs because I eat bacon and eggs every morning! I just try and avoid eating extra ones. Maybe thats the best way to phrase that. I know I know..... I should finish reading the book, but its not exactly the most interesting thing I have read. Well wish me luck everyone. This will be my last day of smoking. I will miss it A LOT, but I have been putting this off for a while now. I am also gonna try and make it to the gym tomorrow before work. Thank God I can drink some beer! I have been watching everyone around me constantly drinking and I haven't even taken a sip! Well maybe one :-). Thanks for your help Nat!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 14:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by grabes
I should finish reading the book, but its not exactly the most interesting thing I have read.

You might want to check Protein Power. It's a much more interesting read.

Atkins style is quite defensive, due to the time when he wrote his book.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 16:24

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hey Gavin - I hope you are taking supplements.

If you are not eating any of the veggie-type carbs, (and Nat is correct, these are mandatory on Atkins), then you are setting yourself up for a bit of a problem downstream aways, me thinks.

If something's worth doign, it's worth doing right. Right?

Would you consider weight training using all bad techniques?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 10:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default my experience

hello and good luckon Atkins. I have been on it for over 6 months now and reached my goal weight. When I drink alcohol I mix it with water. It never seemed to affect my weight loss altho it might for some. Once u use up the alcohol in your system U will go back into ketosis. Make sure U eat some low carb veggies everyday as well as lots of protein and fat. AND vitamins are very important. The one I was lacking the most was potassium which Dr Atkins says this diet can do. I was dizzy a lot and had muscle weakness but a potassium supplement helped
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 11:21
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Important Points

I must agree with many of the important points made here. . . but let me also say that I rarely eat green vegeatables. . .instead getting most of those nutrients from vitamin supplements. I find it too easy to cheat on foods like nuts and vegetables to have them often.

However,

I do agree that you need to finish the Atkins book. The good Dr. often puts really cool tidbits of information in the most tucked away corners of that book.

Thanks,

Mike
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 13:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default reply to Crowis

The thing to keep important is that everyone will do diferently on any diet-WOL. I takes heeps of vitamins because I was so difficiant having fibromyalgia[ chronic fatigue] Also it depends on what phase of the diet you are at. I have been in maintenace on Atkins for 2 months now and so I need to incorperate more carbs to stay where I am at.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 18:38

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default smokin'

the reason for my current weight is the fact that i quit smoking and could not control my eating. i gained 20+ lbs. had i had this diet, i truly believe i would not have gained this weight.

quitting sugar has been a struggle, but the 20 year smoking habit was crazy. the patches worked great. try not to wear them when you sleep, they give you wacky dreams (though, this may be fun for you)

good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Brenda
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 18:56

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 243/216/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Exclamation No Alcohol the first 2 weeks******

Hello!!!!!!!!!

Read page 310 in Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution and He will answer your question on drinking Alcohol. None, the first two weeks then read on for Details!!! C ya and Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MocaGirl : Thu, Oct-25-01 at 19:03.