Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:59
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default Casual biking instead of walking?

Hi guys, got a question. I'm a serious exerciser, so what I'm thinking of would be in addition to the workouts I already do. You know how they recommend you get additional exercise in increments every day, like parking further from the store and taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc? I do all this but on foot--i.e., in addition to my exercise sessions, I also try to walk when I run errands. But the weather is so glorious this week I was thinking about getting a bike. If I casually biked to run my errands--and that would mean at a pretty slow pace with a lot of stopping--would that add anything to the scheduled exercise I get--or would it just be taking away from the walking? In other words, does casual, stop-and-start, slow biking contribute ANYTHING, or would I be better off walking?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

If you have a set distance that your going to travel, say a mile, then walking would be more beneficial than biking. If you have a set amount of time, say and hour, then I would think that the benefit would be pretty equal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 08:00
Kid R

Thanks, Hornbrau. I kinda suspected that.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/200/140 Female 5'5
BF:40.70%
Progress: 52%

Before I bought a car, I used to ride a bike everywhere (including my jobs). At my heaviest back 7 years ago, I weighed 220 lbs - and I rode a bike everywhere!

It wasn't until I started going on a daily walk (along with a diet program) that I started losing weight.

When you ride a bike, you don't pedal too much and tend to "cruise" along. Walking is more beneficial and you get more of a "workout" while doing it. Sitting on a bike seat doesn't really help with your upper body too much.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 14:06
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

All the above is true, in my opinion ...

But using a bike means you use different muscles, or use the same muscles in different ways.

That kind of cross training gives you better overall fitness.

Seems to me like the best solution would be to enjoy your secondary physical activities, and keep them varied for best results.

Just my $0.02!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:27
Kid R

That's great advice, thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:19

Plan: Atkins and Dr. Ellis Plan .. basically, low carb
Stats: 245/223/180 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I agree with AntiM .. it's the time that you excercise that really counts .. walking is a very good excercise .. partly because, you do it constantly for a while .. and it's easy !! Hey, you get a chance to look around the neighborhood, check out the scenery! It's the time you excercise that counts ... biking is very good ... just try to get your totalk aerobics to about 30 to 45 minutes ... 3 times a week