Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/198/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default L-Carnitine and Chromium

If I am not mistaken...Atkins suggests taking these in addition to your multi-vitamin. I have started taking those in addition to my muli-vitamin.

My question is: Does anyone else take them and if so, do you feel a differnce or see one in your weight loss? Or am I just wasting my time and money?

Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 17:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Bella - I have taken both of them.

The L-Carnitine seems to have an effect early on, and then seems to drop off. I have heard other reports mirroring my experience. When I put them aside for awhile and then start taking them again, the positive weight loss effect seems to return. Others have speculated that these *fat burners* (if you will) cause your body to build up a resistance to their effect much like antibiotics will. A period of *rest* seems to make all the difference. Beside's L-Carnitine really expensive where I come from, so it's all for the best.

The Chromium, I continue to take on an ongoing basis, although I understand that people leaning towards diabetes derive the best results from this *potion*.

Hope this helps some, my personal experience is far from scientific results, that's for sure.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 02:30

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

Have a look at this:

http://www.hcrc.org/contrib/sukala/l-carn.html

L-Carnitine: Separating Fact from Fiction

Seems like Carnitine does not quite live up to the hype.

Greetings
Sabine
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 06:41

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have a question for Chromium:

I have heard, that Chromium Picolinate is not supposed to be safe, Chromium Nicotinate is. I can't find Chromium Nicotinate. The only stuff in the Health food store is Chromium Piccolinate.

Greetings
Sabine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:03
Registered Member

Stats: 160.6/157.3/145
BF:27
Progress: 21%
Default Proof is in the Pudding.

Bella, I have used L-Carnitine on a number of occasions. Especially when I have been weight training. I have had nothing but great results from it. I haven't used it long term though, so can't help you there.

It certainly gives you a great fat burn with minimal muscle loss which is what low carbing should give you anyway, so I am sure it will do some good to burning the fat faster.

I buy L-Carnitine in Musashi powder form. It's about 2000mg L-Carnitine per teaspoon and I have this before I do anything that might be constituted as excersise. Even spring cleaning the house. Gives you a little bit more energy. This form of Musashi L-Carnitine is about $90 AUD for 100g on average in your local health food stores. I find of all the L-Carnitine I have taken this has proven to be the most effective. I have had people comment after a week of hard training at how they can physically see the results.

So like I said, the proof is in the pudding.

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 09:52

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Bella

I take Chromium GTF (Glucose Tolerance Factor) as recommended in the Heller's Carb Addicts Lifespan Program pgs 131-135.

I believe this has helped to curb the cravings I use to have all the time and don't have anymore.
I've never tried L-Carnitine
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 16:24
Registered Member

Stats: 218/198/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile Thank You

All for your replies to my post. Most informative..and positive...I guess i'll keep taking it for a while...and yes it's very expensive here in Georiga as well!! But, like they say...I'm worth it!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 16:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/181/165
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default L-carnitine

LC Sponge, how long did you use it before you stopped and then how long did you wait before starting again? I have been taking it daily for almost two months so maybe I need to take a break.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BodyOpus
Stats: 222/184/184
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Try Alpha-Lipoic Acid

Chromium Picolinate acts as a "glucose disposal agent" in that it mimicks insulin. There fore, the insulin levels are controlled and kept low. This also helps to control hunger etc. I have found that 800 mcg of Chromium per day (1/2 taken in the morning, 1/2 in the evening) is optimal.

Clinical studies have shown some positive effect using L-Carnithine, but only in VERY high doses, making it a very expensive supplement.

I find Alpha-Lipoic Acid to be one of the best supplements. It also acts as a glucose disposal agent as well as being a very powerful anti-oxidant. All people I help use it with great results.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 19:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Catbat - I took it for a full bottle (50 days?) and then started a second and stopped for - must have been several months.

Decided one day when I was cleaning out the cupboards to eat them as opposed to throw them out... low and behold - I started losing again.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 13:26

Stats: 217/188/145
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have diabetes and the chromium picolinate is great for keeping my blood sugar normal.

Any one have any comments on L-Glutamine? I take it for sugar cravings and it really seems to help!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:
Question

My husband & I plan on trying to have another baby after the first of the year. Is L-Carnitine safe to take before then? [Already taking Chromium in Atkins Dieters Suppliment, but I can't see how it is helping] Is there a certain 'resting' time to get it out of your system as not to hurt a fetus?

--Kirkwood