Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Thumbs down Saw my doctor yesterday

Went to the doctor yesterday, and was yelled at for not losing enough weight. Even though I told her how many inches I've lost and that I had to buy new clothes because my old ones are too big, she said she also wants to see the scale go down.

I told her how much I've been exercising (3 days of aerobics and 3 days of weights per week), and she told me that to lose weight I would need to do 60 minutes of aerobics per day, at least 5 days per week! How can that be true? So many others have lost weight and do not need that much exercise! I don't have 60 minutes a day 5 or 6 days per week plus the 45 minutes of weights 3 days a week! I mean, gee, I did plan on doing something with my life besides working and exercising! Besides, I went from being completely sedentary to exercising 6 days a week -- shouldn't that be enough?

I know that the weight is coming off very slowly -- if I continue at my present speed, I should be about the right weight when I'm 150 years old! But I'm doing everything right and feel good, but my blood pressure just won't come down, and she told me the only way I can get it down is to lose weight. I'm doing my best, what else can I do? Does anyone else have any suggestions (besides changing doctors)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Angry Switch Physicians!!!!!

60 minutes of exercise is a futile waste of your time and possibly harmful for you. This will probably come as a suprise to those who have seen my prior posts (where I certainly believe in hardcore physical exercise), but going over 45 mins is considered counter-effective to losing weight when in strenuous exercise.

Also, any Doctor who raises their voice to a patient isn't giving good customer service.

Let me also add that (knowing nothing about your diet plan/calorie intake etc) that if you want to lose weight quicker, adjusting these things would be more helpful than exercising that much (which let me re-iterate is proven by exercise experts to be retroactive to the process).

You might also want to think about weightlifting. If weight is coming off too slow, the best way to speed it up is to create more muscle - which is what burns fat the best. . .

Just some thoughts

Thanks

Mike
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 12:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Saw my doctor yesterday

Quote:
Originally posted by pegm
my blood pressure just won't come down, and she told me the only way I can get it down is to lose weight.

The Eades address the problem of PB and/or cholesterol that doesnt respond to LC in their book "Protein power" This is from their FAQ off their web page :

Quote:
There are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).

Try cutting down on the red meat or marinating it as suggested and limiting the eggs. You can check your own blood pressure at most pharamcies to keep an eye on it. While exercise will help you lose weight and help bring down your BP if 60 minutes 6 times a week is unreasonable for you then its unreasonable. I would continue with your current regime .... and find another doctor (had to say it )

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 13:41

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

Yes definitely change doctors! I've decided to change mine simply b/c he gave me a hard time with mailing me my blood test results! Obviously ur doctor has no people skills whatsoever.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 13:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default reply to saw my doc

1st of all SHAME on your doctor! they are there to support U. So many docs are either misinformed or uninformed about low carb diets. I know in his book Dr. Atkins suggests supplements for high BP maybe one of them would help. And massive amounts of exercise may only do more harm than good. I would stick with what you are doing and maybe see if u do have a fat sensitivity
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 14:41

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Angry Lose the DOC.....

Quote:
Went to the doctor yesterday, and was yelled at for not losing enough weight.

Definately get a more compassionate doctor. Nobody needs yelled at to lose weight, that is definately not a motivator. You are doing what you can an losing in a safe manner. This is how it should be. If you can definately seek out somebody else.

Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 05:54

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks for all of your support! I will try eliminating the red meat and egg yolks, as suggested. Maybe what I should do also is get a home blood pressure kit. I sometimes think that I become so stressed simply by going to the doctor's that the reading might not be accurate.

I have been thinking about reading Protein Power, and now I've decided to get it today. Also, I'll re-read Atkins to find the supplements.

As far as weights go, I have been doing weights 3 times a week for the past 3 months -- using the 'Total Gym' that my husband bought me for a gift, free weights, and dumbells. I also have a treadmill -- have an entire exercise room with the weight bench, weights, Total Gym, and treadmill -- it's great!

I also will change doctors -- I was surprised that she was so negative -- she is my friend's doctor, and Vicki is doing low carb, and this the same doctor who told her that she was losing weight too fast (must be nice)! I've been doing Atkins since the end of June, and the doctor told me that low carb diets don't work for everyone, maybe I should change. I asked her 'to what'? Low fat, low cal, certainly didn't work -- in fact, they're one of the reasons I'm at the weight I am! At least with Atkins I did lose inches and a couple of pounds, and I feel so much better! I did quit smoking June 1st, so maybe it's going to take longer for my metabolism to adjust because of that -- I may try to adjust the diet, read more books, etc., but I will not go back to high carb, low fat -- I never want to feel the way I did when I ate like that again!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 06:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by pegm
I sometimes think that I become so stressed simply by going to the doctor's that the reading might not be accurate.

This is a factor in BP, Peg. Anxiety over simply being in the doc's office raises my BP 5 points. I have found that if they take my BP after the visit it has gone down somewhat. Also, try having them take it either lying down or with your two feet firmly planted on the ground (having your feet dangling over the edge of the examining table can cause your reading to go up from 5 - 10 points)

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 14:07

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Nat, thanks for the BP information. I take meds for high BP and developed a rash after being on Atkins for a couple of weeks. In 4 months time the rash still hasn't healed and I just keep buying different "stuff" to put on it. Actually, I more resembles acme but all down my arms, under chin and top of chest, and on my face. Will start to look better but then flares up again. I will start the no red meat and no eggs and let you guys know what happens.

Guess I missed the part of the book that talked about supplements for high BP. I'll get that as well. Anything to help lower this stuff!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 14:42
Registered Member

Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default exercise

Regarding exercise, someone in one of the forums mentioned "The Firm" exercise tapes as being really good, so I got on Ebay to see if anyone had any. I bought 3 of the ones they suggest for beginners, but have only received one so far - "Fat Burning." I absolutely love it! I can't wait to get the other ones!

I, too, believe that using weights along with aerobics will burn fat faster than aerobics alone. I also agree that your doctor was telling to excercise entirely too much. That much exercise is counterproductive and sometimes dangerous.

Irish
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 00:35

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 285/212/160
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Re: High Blood Pressure

Just today I was reading in Edaes book . Chapter 9, the Magnesium Miracle. They talk about how 75% of all Americans are deficient in Magnesium. They explain that magnesium needs to be on a 1:1 ratio with calcium or you will have problems. They say:

"Consider this list of the known conditions that research has correlated with deficiency of magnesium: heart disease and sudden death cholesterol and triglyceride abnormalities, diabetes, high blood pressure, toxemia of pregnancy, asthma and chronic bronchitis, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraine headaches, muscle cramps, premenstrual syndrome, anxiety, depression, and other psychiatric disorders, susceptibility to the brain-damaging effects of food additives such as aspartame and monosodium glutamate (MSG), and susceptibility to toxic shock syndrome. Quite an impressive list, and that's not even the half of it." (pg 224-225)

They tell of an experience where a patient came in and had BP so high he would need to be hospitalized if they couldn't lower it. They put him on a magnesium IV drip and it quickly lowered his BP to a manageable level. (pg 210)

You may want to get this book from your library and read Chapter 9. I have actually found the whole book most interesting, you may too.

Good luck. I also think another doctor would be a good idea.

Jeanne
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 00:38

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 285/212/160
BF:
Progress: 58%

The name of the book in the Above post is
"The Protein Power Lifeplan"
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 04:46

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Fire your doctor.

Your doctor YELLED at YOU?

Find a new doctor immediately. That is unprofessional and should be reported the the American Medical Association right away. Never subject yourself to abuse in anyway - especially if your paying for it!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 07:08

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

You know, we are facing a new age.

We don't just *find a doctor* anymore. We elicit partnerships to participate with us in our overall health. We do our own reasearch, buy our own health and diet books, make our own choices, and demand to know what's in all those little pills they want to give us. And general medical practicianers aren't the ONLY health care providers.

Find new and different health care professionals and increase your network of partnerships.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 12:12

Stats: 195/195/140
BF:
Progress:

pegm, no wonder you get stressed going to that doctor,my blood pressure would rise to! hope you get a more understanding doctor. best of luck to you!.....sukey