Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/237/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Unhappy Help!

I slipped up and now I think that I should start induction all over again. I messed up when I was baking for my work's bake sale that we were doing. I eat 2 cup cakes and I also eat a peice of banana bread. Which was so bad because it has so much flour in them. I also then had 2 peices of pizza yesterday. I think that I am going to need to start all over on induction so that I can get my body back out of wanting sugar. I just feel like I want something sweet now. Any advice would be helpful.
I also saw my doctor on Monday and he informed me that I should go of the Low Carb so that I can get my iron levels up since I have been brusing easily. I think that I might just add some extra iron in by suplement. By how much meat I am eating and also the brocolli I am eating I thought that I was getting my iron that way and that it would be a whole lot for me. I don't want to go off the low carb but am unsure of if I should go off or just not let him know that I am staying on the LC. I have to have major surgery in December and am going to donate my own blood for the surgery so I wanted to be in good health for that. What do all of you guy's think? Please let me know.
Shondel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 15:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Well, I am definately not qualified to give medical advice, but, a low carb diet just by its very nature of including a lot of meat, and therefore heme iron, should be great for increasing iron levels.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 18:29

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Shonnee,

According to my nutrition manual, the highest source of iron is Black Pudding, followed by Liver. Any meat, oily fish or eggs are also good sources of iron. Haricot Beans are a high source too, but are very high in carbs. The same is true of lentils, Apricots and figs. Almonds are high in iron, and moderately low in carbs, as are desiccated coconut and peanuts. Should be enough choices there to bolster up your iron intake, without going overboard with carbs. Even bacon contains iron, but no carbs.

I can understand your desire to get your iron level right, with the operation looming up. Good luck with it, and with the eventual operation as well.

Best wishes,

Andy.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 19:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I too have low iron levels,and have been low-carbing since August 1. I just had a test yesterday to check my ferritin levels and see where they are at.
The doctor told me to take iron supplements. Does anyone take any particular iron supplement, or anyone have suggestions on types or names to use?? Seems very strange when I am eating so much meat, etc.

Glenda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 19:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There is a whole chapter about iron in Protein Power Lifeplan and before I reply, Shondel I would like to re read it... Most of us actually have too much iron but because it is kept mostly in our cells a blood test doesnt reveal the true amount. Based on the diet you are eating I would be hesitant to recomend an iron supplement. Hold tight, I will be back with more info (if Doreen doesnt beat me to it )

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 19:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Ist of all dont get too upset about falling off the wagon , we are all human. If I were U I would go right back to induction and keep in mind U may have some cravings for the next couple days. I also just did a post about chromium helping my blood sugar level. I believe Dr atkins suggests it for cravings as well. I also have read several times that lots of extra vitamin C can help prevent bruising....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 09:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shonnee
I also saw my doctor on Monday and he informed me that I should go of the Low Carb so that I can get my iron levels up since I have been brusing easily. I think that I might just add some extra iron in by suplement. By how much meat I am eating and also the brocolli I am eating I thought that I was getting my iron that way and that it would be a whole lot for me.

Shondel, before adding an iron supplment to your diet you should have your serum ferritin levels checked. Simply checking the level of iron in your blood (the standard test) will not give you an accurate reading. Iron is stored in the cells and the body lets out what it needs to function. Blood serum levels drop off when you're fighting an infection or have been ill but rise afterward. Didnt you have a nasty bout not that long ago with a severe allergic reaction to shellfish?

Protein power lifeplan suggest that before adding any iron to your diet you have your ferritin levels checked. Ferritin is the "wrapper" the body uses to enclose stored iron. The range in which we aim to have our ferritin is no higher than 50 (equivalent to 500 mg) and no lower than 10 (equivalent to 100 mg of serum ferritin). Most of us have too much iron stored in our bodies and not the opposite. The only way to get rid of excess iron is to donate blood (pre menopausal women do lose some every month with their periods).

The Eades also caution taking a Vitamin C supplement and drinking wine if you have a high serum ferritin level as both of these encourage the absorption of iron.

HTH,
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 09:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking here I am, the toad in the puddle to spoil everything

First, easy bruising has nothing to do with iron ... easy-bruising happens because the capillaries and small blood-vessel walls are thin and fragile, and break open with the slightest impact. Blood vessel walls become thin and fragile when there is insufficient collagen-protein ... and lack of both Vitamins C and E are the culprits here, since both are required for collagen production. Do your gums bleed when you floss your teeth?? That's another sure sign.

Second, iron is a double-edged sword, yes indeed ... and heme-bound ferritin is a concern for persons with heart & blood vessel disease. But, iron-deficiency anemia in pre-menopausal women is more common that we thiink. Here's a post I wrote to someone a few weeks ago on this subject:
Quote:
originally posted by doreen T

... anemia is still more common in young women than we think. Part of it stems from years and years of lowFAT eating, where we were afraid to eat red meats. It takes a while for the body's stores to be built back up.

Recent research has shown that excess iron can accumulate in the tissues and acts as an oxidant. It can also interfere with organ function, such as heart, kidney, liver. The keyword is accumulate ... this is a concern for older men and a post-menopausal women. Younger women who are menstruating do NOT have this problem as the monthly losses serve to balance things. In fact, if iron stores are not replenished, low-grade anemia can result. And it happens a lot. We get tired feeling, sluggish, no energy ... Iron is used to make hemoglobin .. the molecule of the blood cell that carries oxygen to our cells. Not enough iron = not quite enough oxygen, and we get tired easily. Hemoglobin gets used up rapidly in hard-training athletes, particularly long-distance endurance type.

Vitamin C is needed to improve the absorption of dietary iron. The minimum RDA is 60 mg, which is a crock. Many nutritionists are urging that be raised to 100mg per day ... and note that the RDA is just the minimum required to prevent deficiency symptoms. For optimum health, you may need more. If your gums bleed when you floss your teeth, chances are you may need more vitamin C. Since many LowCarbers aren't eating a lot of vegetables and fruits which supply C, it's necessary to supplement. Vitamin C is NOT stored, meaning you must replace it daily. So check that daily multivite ... you might want to consider taking a little extra C .. .. I personally take 200mg twice a day.

As for iron, the RDA is 12 - 15 mg. According to our Foods counter tool, 100 g (3.5 oz) cooked lean roast beef provides only 1.85 mg of iron.
Don't "guess". If you and your doctor are concerned about this, it would be wise to have a serum ferritin level taken. And a hemoglobin level too.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile to Shondel ...

Don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon; it happens. GWilson is right, just dust yourself off and hop right back on. Consider it a learning experience and move on. Going back to Induction level would indeed be a good idea, and drink lots of water to help flush the excess carbs out of your system.

Your doctor is a bit misguided for suggesting to go off low-carb. Eating more carbs, and less meat ... and then taking a pill ... doesn't make sense. It's true that whole grains contain some iron, as well as beans and lentils as Andy pointed out ... but it is present in these foods in a very difficult to digest and absorb form.

Actually, I just re-read your post, and if you're planning to donate your own blood pre-op ... then the blood service where you donate will check your hemoglobin level, and will let you know if you're low.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking I agree with the wonderful replies here

Don't hack yourself about cheating. . . it happens to all of us from time to time. One thing I do to keep from cheating accidentally is give myself planned cheat days (though widely spaced) to make sure I can fend off any unwanted desires by saying. . . well when I hit this weight or reach this time frame I get to cheat. . . then no guilt!

Hop back on induction for a couple of weeks and breathe a great sigh of relief. You are human.

Mike
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/237/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Well guy's thanks for the great advice. I talked to my family doctor and he told me that I shouldn't go of the low carb just because I am going to have to have a surgery. He also had me do a blood test to check out my Iron levels and thinks that I should actually be ok. He said that if my iron levels were not ok then we will us a supplement then and not until we find those levels first because he doesn't want me to overdose on iron. You guy's are a great bunch of people and I thank you so much for always being there when some people need some words of advice. I have started back on induction to get the nasty carb out of my body and get back on track. With going back on induction I just lost a pound in 2 days. It feels great.

Thanks,
Shondel