Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 07:36

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default diet soda dangerous?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114880,00.html

This might explain why some of us crave diet soda specifically, not just caffeine. It's also interesting to me since someone close to me is a diet coke AND carb addict, is overweight and has fibromyalgia.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

LIEBERMAN: I have to tell you something about that. If you look at the research, people that drink diet sodas are oftentimes eating more calories than people drinking regular sodas.

I would have to disagree with that part, I was a coke-a-holic for many years, and found myself eating ALOT more garbage when drinking coke as opposed to the diet, but maybe since I started LC, I really don't drink diet sodas at all, I guess I am just paying more attention to what I am putting in my body now and I knew caffiene was a problem for me...............

LIEBERMAN: Well, you also can get a certain amount of methanol, which is the more toxic alcohol. That's a byproduct of NutraSweet and aspartame, if you're drinking a lot of it, and that's a wood alcohol that's actually rather toxic and can cause some problems as well. So you have a substance that, when you're taking in really large amounts, is going to affect your chemistry, your brain chemistry, your...

Also this part is kinda scary, knowing we have all these teenage girls running around drinkin diet sodas, no wonder the pregnancy rate is so high! We can't let our kids know about this legal form of intoxication...............
I wonder if that affects your B.A.C? " NO, really officer, I only had 4 diet cokes?" Makes ya wonder

Thanks for posting the article, it was very interesting to read, I never gave this to much thought.............

Any other thought?[COLOR=Blue]
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 12:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've always been against soda's. Somehow I feel the carbonation is bad for you-weakens bone structure or something. The last I heard was the increase of fractures in youth was lack of calcium-soda's instead of milk.
I can believe the sweet taste sets off an insulin response and cravings for more carbs .
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't buy that sweet taste setting off insulin response. I think that's been disproven an ample number of times.

Here you go, you can catch up on your Cokelore at: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:30
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

I have never been a fan of soda, and I haven't had it once since I restarted this diet. I would rather just have water.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I am a reformed diet soda drinker. I thought that I didn't drink too much and I watched other things that I ate. I devloped abnormal liver readings (the equivalent of someone having 5-6 alcholic drinks a day), I suffered migraines, I craved junk, I was dignosed with diabetes.

Then I talked to my sister who was warned off aspertame by her nutritionalist. I stop ths same night and within 6 weeks my liver reading dropped by 1/3 and are now back to normal 10 months later, the headaches are gone, I don't crave the junk food near as much and with the Atkins WOL, have got my blood sugar under control and lost weight.

Too much of the stuff is very bad for you.

Last edited by Marge : Wed, Mar-24-04 at 15:36.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:50

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't buy that sweet taste setting off insulin response. I think that's been disproven an ample number of times.

Here you go, you can catch up on your Cokelore at: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

Nancy, there was nothing on that site about insulin response and sweetness.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:33
Experimenter

BF:

Nope, not there. But the usual "soda dissolves your teeth and bones" and cops cleaning the freeway of blood stains with it, gets dealt with there.

Someone posted a study on this forum a while back that was a study of insulin responses to a variety of sweetners. I'm sure you can find it with a good search.

Here's another good read about diet coke:
http://shopping.guardian.co.uk/prin...-103409,00.html

And I'll find the insulin response and artificial sweeteners study when I get a chance. But aspartame is digested as a protein and your body is smarter than your tastebuds are.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Mar-24-04 at 15:48.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 18:33

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Here's another good read about diet coke: http://shopping.guardian.co.uk/prin...-103409,00.html

she sounded like an cigarette addict trying to justify smoking
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 18:45
Registered Member

Stats: 280/280/170 Male 5'-10
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was a Coke drinker for decades and then switched to Diet Coke because of sugar. Started Atkins and found out Aspartame can slow down weight loss in 25% of all people doing Atkins.
Now I have found this wonderful (Crush) Diet Cream Soda which is sweetened with Splenda and only 0.03 grams of carbs per can. Dr Atkins speaks highly of Splenda and it is in all kinds of LC products.
Still losing weight steadily, drinking water and my bloodwork is good so I am just happy I have something else to drink than water all the time
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

This whole idea of aspartame becoming methanol is bunk. Sure, it happens, but in such small amounts. According to http://www.finchcms.edu/cms/biochem.../aspartame.html , a normal can of diet soda has 0.024g of methanol produced in the body. Tens or hundreds of grams are necessary to approach lethal or problematic dose. That might be an issue if you're drinking over 50 sodas a day, but I doubt even the heftiest of soda drinkers are doing that.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 21:20
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, here's some studies I found at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, I did a search on "insulin aspartame"

Presumably all peer-reviewed and published in respected scientific and research journals, not from random nutritionists promoting a book or with an agenda.

Now, I'm not a metabolic scientist, so I have to struggle to understand these. The first one seems to indicate that the phenylalanine in aspartame gives you a feeling of saiety and theyr'e trying to figure out how. phenylalanine was commonly used in OTC diet pills for a long time, maybe still is. I know it is a supplement you could also buy at a Health food store. Anyway, interesting but the real reason I included it was because it shows no rise in glucose or insulin when you consume it.

Quote:
Physiological mechanisms mediating aspartame-induced satiety.

Hall WL, Millward DJ, Rogers PJ, Morgan LM.

Centre for Nutrition and Food Safety, School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK. w.l.hall~reading.ac.uk

Aspartame has been previously shown to increase satiety. This study aimed to investigate a possible role for the satiety hormones cholecystokinin (CCK) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in this effect. The effects of the constituents of aspartame, phenylalanine and aspartic acid, were also examined. Six subjects consumed an encapsulated preload consisting of either 400 mg aspartame, 176 mg aspartic acid+224 mg phenylalanine, or 400 mg corn flour (control), with 1.5 g paracetamol dissolved in 450 ml water to measure gastric emptying. A 1983-kJ liquid meal was consumed 60 min later. Plasma CCK, GLP-1, glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP), glucose, and insulin were measured over 0-120 min. Gastric emptying was measured from 0 to 60 min. Plasma GLP-1 concentrations decreased following the liquid meal (60-120 min) after both the aspartame and amino acids preloads (control, 2096.9 pmol/l min; aspartame, 536.6 pmol/l min; amino acids, 861.8 pmol/l min; incremental area under the curve [AUC] 60-120 min, P<.05). Desire to eat was reduced from 60 to 120 min following the amino acids preload (control, -337.1 mm min; aspartame, -505.4 mm min; amino acids, -1497.1 mm min; incremental AUC 60-120 min, P<.05). However, gastric emptying rates, plasma CCK, GIP, insulin, and glucose concentrations were unaffected. There was a correlation between the increase in plasma phenylalanine and decrease in desire to eat after the liquid meal following the constituent amino acids (r=-.9774, P=.004). In conclusion, it is unlikely that aspartame increases satiety via CCK- or GLP-1-mediated mechanisms, but small changes in circulating phenylalanine concentrations may influence appetite.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

This one showed that mice ingesting ASP lost weight compared to ones on regular old water.

Quote:
Effects of long-term ingestion of aspartame on hypothalamic neuropeptide Y, plasma leptin and body weight gain and composition.

Beck B, Burlet A, Max JP, Stricker-Krongrad A.

Centre de Recherches UHP/EA 3453, IFR no. 111, Systemes Neuromodulateurs des Comportements Ingestifs; 38, rue Lionnois, 54000 Nancy, France. bernard.beck~nancy.inserm.fr

The aim of this study was to determine the effects of the chronic ingestion of aspartame (ASP) on brain neuropeptide Y (NPY) concentrations, plasma hormones, food intake and body fat. Two groups of male Long-Evans rats, fed on a control (C) well-balanced diet, had to drink either a 0.1% ASP solution or water for a period of 14 weeks starting at weaning. Food intake and body weight were weekly recorded. At the end of the experiment, fat pads were sampled, leptin and insulin were measured in the plasma and NPY in several microdissected brain areas. Substituting ASP for water led to lower body weight (-8%; P<.004) and lower fat depot weight (-20%; P<.01) with no differences in energy intake or plasma insulin concentrations. Plasma leptin was significantly reduced by 34% (P<.05). Leptin concentrations were well-correlated with final body weight (r=.47; P<.025) and fat pad mass (r=.53; P<.01). NPY concentrations were 23% lower (P<.03) in the arcuate nucleus of ASP rats with no differences in other brain areas. The beneficial effects on body composition could be related to the decreased effects of NPY on lipid and energy metabolism, independently of insulin. The reasons for the NPY decrease (regulatory or toxicological) are not obvious. The constitutive amino acids of the ASP molecule might participate in the NPY regulation.

PMID: 11890951 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

And then this one is interesting! It shows that bitter tastes might actually cause the pancreas to release insulin. However, aspartame has no bitter taste to it. However, some sweeteners do!

Quote:
Effects of artificial sweeteners on insulin release and cationic fluxes in rat pancreatic islets.

Malaisse WJ, Vanonderbergen A, Louchami K, Jijakli H, Malaisse-Lagae F.

Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Brussels Free University, Belgium.

Beta-L-glucose pentaacetate, but not alpha-D-galactose pentaacetate, was recently reported to taste bitter and to stimulate insulin release. This finding led, in the present study, to the investigation of the effects of both bitter and non-bitter artificial sweeteners on insulin release and cationic fluxes in isolated rat pancreatic islets. Sodium saccharin (1.0-10.0 mM), sodium cyclamate (5.0-10.0 mM), stevioside (1.0 mM) and acesulfame-K (1.0-15.0 mM), all of which display a bitter taste, augmented insulin release from islets incubated in the presence of 7.0 mM D-glucose. In contrast, aspartame (1.0-10.0 mM), which is devoid of bitter taste, failed to affect insulin secretion. A positive secretory response to acesulfame-K was still observed when the extracellular K+ concentration was adjusted to the same value as that in control media. No major changes in 86Rb and 45Ca outflow from pre-labelled perifused islets could be attributed to the saccharin, cyclamic or acesulfame anions. It is proposed that the insulinotropic action of some artificial sweeteners and, possibly, that of selected hexose pentaacetate esters may require G-protein-coupled receptors similar to those operative in the recognition of bitter compounds by taste buds.

And here's another one specifically testing artificial sweeteners and insulin release.

Quote:
Sweet taste: effect on cephalic phase insulin release in men.

Teff KL, Devine J, Engelman K.

Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

To determine whether sweet-tasting solutions are effective elicitors of cephalic phase insulin release (CPIR) in humans, two studies were conducted using nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners as stimuli. Normal weight men sipped and spit four different solutions: water, aspartame, saccharin, and sucrose. A fifth condition involved a modified sham-feed with apple pie. The five stimuli were administered in counterbalanced order, each on a separate day. In study 1, subjects tasted the stimuli for 1 min (n = 15) and in study 2 (n = 16), they tasted the stimuli for 3 min. Arterialized venous blood was drawn to establish a baseline and then at 1 min poststimulus, followed by every 2 min for 15 min and then every 5 min for 15 min. In both study 1 and study 2, no significant increases in plasma insulin were observed after subjects tasted the sweetened solutions. In contrast, significant increases in plasma insulin occurred after the modified sham-feed with both the 1 min and 3 min exposure. These results suggest that nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners in solution are not adequate stimuli for the elicitation of CPIR.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 21:38
Experimenter

BF:

And just for good measure, here's one on the supposed neurobehavior of aspartame users

Quote:
Aspartame: neuropsychologic and neurophysiologic evaluation of acute and chronic effects.

Spiers PA, Sabounjian L, Reiner A, Myers DK, Wurtman J, Schomer DL.

Clinical Research Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA.

BACKGROUND: Neurobehavioral symptoms have been reported anecdotally with aspartame. OBJECTIVE: This study sought to determine whether aspartame can disrupt cognitive, neurophysiologic, or behavioral functioning in normal individuals. DESIGN: Forty-eight healthy volunteers completed a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. The first month was aspartame free. Subjects then consumed sodas and capsules with placebo, aspartame, or sucrose for 20 d each. Order was randomized and subjects were assigned to either a high- (45 mg x kg body wt(-1) x d(-1)) or low- (15 mg x kg body wt(-1) x d(-1)) dose aspartame group. Neuropsychologic and laboratory testing was done on day 10 of each treatment period to determine possible acute effects and on day 20 for possible chronic effects. RESULTS: Plasma phenylalanine concentrations increased significantly during aspartame treatment. Neuropsychologic results; adverse experiences; amino acid, insulin, and glucose values; and electroencephalograms were compared by sex and by treatment. No significant differences were found for any dependent measure. CONCLUSION: Large daily doses of aspartame had no effect on neuropsychologic, neurophysiologic, or behavioral functioning in healthy young adults.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

I guess artificial sweeteners will probably always be demonized since they're produced artificially and people seem to automatically judge anything created artificially as bad and anything natural as good. Never mind that most of the life-saving medications and medical treatments wouldn't exist today if it weren't for people tinkering with nature.

And from what many of us have experienced from natural sweeteners (i.e. sucrose), I think artificial sweeteners may well be potentially life extending, provided they help us stick to a low-carb life style.

Ok, my next project will be to look up info on Stevia and see what it does on insulin and if there are any studies its toxicity.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 22:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I've read a lot of research on AS, but I am one that has something triggered when I use them. I don'tknow if it's just the sweet taste, but it definitly sets off cravings. Very intense cravings.

Also they all taste artificial to me. I haven't tried stevia yet, but even Splenda tastes funny to me.

As for soda? If the AS dont' bother you, go for it. For kids tho, I never let my kids have diet, and limited how much they could have. I don't think it should be demonized, and I think it's generally ssafe. I kept it from my kids because it was still relatively new to the market and I'd heard too many anecdotal stories about side effects. I can't drink soda because of the carbination. But there are times in the summer a nice cold coke would taste great!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 23:13

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

"I guess artificial sweeteners will probably always be demonized since they're produced artificially and people seem to automatically judge anything created artificially as bad and anything natural as good."

But sugar is not natural either. Neither is white flour or white rice. These items have had any nutritional value taken out of them when their "healthy" parts are taken away as part of their refinement. We all know the results of what these foods have done to us. The key to everything is moderation and making the healthiest choices possible.