Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 03:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Unhappy Atkins bake mix disaster

Hi you guys,
have any of you had any success using the Atkins bake mix? I tried making the garlic toast crisps and cheese straws using the bake mix as stated on atkins.com, but everything turned out inedible. Granted, I'm not the best cook, but I followed everything the recipe stated and both turned out disgusting.
I've used the bake mix for fried chicken and that wasn't too bad, but these last two things I've made have turned me off this bake mix for good (especially considering the $14.99 price tag for the canister).
What have been your experiences? Success? Failure?

Thanks,

Tasha_C

Last edited by Tasha_C : Tue, Mar-23-04 at 03:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 06:10
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I got a cannister of bake mix my third day on induction. Still never opened it lol.

Afte I started reading what others thought about it, I decided its better off closed lol. I may get around to returning it one of these days.

I heard that some like to use it for breading or mix some spices and cheese and use it as a breading for meats and aside from that it isnt really good for anything.

Maybe try our recipe section on the board, they have a ton of yummy interesting ideas without the bake mix. I personally enjoy nut flours but to each their own.

good luck, and sorry to hear it didnt come out as good as you hoped.

MJ
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 06:59

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

My kids really love the pumpkin spice pancakes from www.atkins.com site and it is made with the Atkins mix. It's good for certain things but anything savory I have made with it sucks. Save it for the muffins and chocolate molten cakes, pancakes and stuff like that and above all.... NEVER and I mean NEVER try that stupid faux red lobster biscuit recipe! It's horrible.

Happy baking,
Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 07:11

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

IT SUCKS
I bought a cannister of it and then my daughter bought me one as a try out
I have two cans of it here and Its gross
I tried to make noodles for my soup, it disolved in the soup
I tried to make the corn muffins grosssssssss
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 07:21

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Even grosser was the eggplant rollatini recipe from the atkins site. It was hard work slicing and salting the eggplant, and what a waste!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 07:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have never tried the Atkins Bake Mix because I figured it would be just as nasty as the PANCAKE MIX. I was expecting a much better taste than I got from the PANCAKE mix so I decided that all the Atkins baking products, besides the BANANA NUT MUFFIN MIX was not worth the money or the time. Now there may be some real "cooking masters" on this site that can make some great tasting recipes out of the BAke Mix but some of us aren't so kitchen gifted. I knew I use to be able to make some great tasting sandwiches (learned by working at a DARRYL'S RESTUARANT FOR TWO SUMMERS) but baking just isn't my thing. Maybe the trial and error method will get you the results you are looking for Tasha C. I am pretty sure someone will post a few cooking tips for you to try out. GOOD LUCK!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 07:50
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The bake mix has a horrible flavor. The only things I use it for are dredging meats to fry (like pan-fried fish) and baked goods with strong seasonings, like zucchini bread or something else with a lot of cinnamon or spice to cover up the awful flavor of the bake mix.

Recipes where it stands pretty much on its own, like pancakes, generally all taste the same and do not turn out well.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 07:55
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Heck, I thought it was just me! I used it to make some sausage muffins and all I could taste is the bake mix...even with the spices, sausage, eggs and cheese in it! Now, the good thing is after eating one of those muffins and having that awful aftertaste in my mouth....it is easy not to go back for seconds! ickkkkkkkk
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:10

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi guys...I have had tons of trouble using the bake mix, but I do have one recipe that works really well with it. It is for a tuna casserole, but I have also made chicken, spinach, and ham casseroles with it. I got it from Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb Recipes.

You just use a can of tuna (or chicken, or whatever you want), 1 egg, salt, pepper, whatever spices or veggies you want to add, .5 cup of the atkins mix, 1 T. oil, 2 cups of shredded cheese (whatever you like)---then mix well and bake in casserole dish for about 25-30 minutes depending on your oven. I don't have the exact recipe in front of me, but I think that's it! If anyone wants it---let me know, I'll be home this afternoon and can just post it then!

By the way, has anyone ever breaded chicken with it? How did that go and how did you do it? Thanks--
Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:17

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Odd. I've used it to make the pumpkin cranberry muffins and the carrot nut muffins from the recipies on the Atkins site. I've also used once to make their mini chocolate chip muffins and the chocolate peanut butter cookies. I've not noticed an unpleasant taste any of those times. Maybe I just have dull taste buds.

I don't cook very often (except in the summer when I have more time) so haven't used the bake mix for anything else. Maybe it depends on what you use it for. I do have a box of the pancake mix I bought a year and a half ago when I first started this woe, but have been hesitant to use it based on what I've heard about it.

Joan
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:21

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I must be the odd one out..

I made a loaf of bread out of the bread mix - and thought it pretty good...

More like "hippy" bread than your standard pre-sliced white stuff... (ie good solid healthy tasting stuff).

Loved it freshly baked - but after a couple of days best toasted, as its quite dry.

Absolutely fine toasted, swimming with butter - yum yum yum...

Also makes great Cheese on Toast.

:-)

I am definitely pleased with this. So much so, that I bought a second tin and at £8 a through here in the UK it is NOT cheap...

Helen.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:27

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've never had anything decent made with the bake mix. When I first started years ago on Atkins, I bought a can and couldn't believe that he allowed his name to be associated with such nastiness. It's the soy. Nothing tastes worse than soy flour.

Some of the Atkins products are improved, and they're the only products that were tested to be accurate in carb count, but I still can't even imagine buying that again.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:46

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

I tried to fry chicken with it and bread pork chops with it
FORGET IT GROSSSSSSSSSS
don't waste your meat or money
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:46

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

The only thing I use it for is breading/battering chicken or veggies before frying. Works good for that purpose.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 10:16

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have found most Atkins products to be disgusting! I tried the pancake mix this morning and couldn't get past the smell! Trying these products makes it sooo much easier to stick to whole foods - now I know that I am not missing anything after tasting some of these products!