Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/151.5/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 37%
Cool Just started AGAIN!

Hi, I have been checking out this forum for a while & finally decided to post a message. I tried Atkins in January..did well for 2 weeks & then blew it. Started again in Feb & yep, same result..blew it after 2 weeks or so.

Ok so now I am going to try again (third times a charm right?) but I want to be successful this time. My trouble is I love chocolate & sweets..I give in to temptation especially certain times of the month. I cannot resist & the sweets just becomes more important than the smaller clothes at the moment. I go on a week long binge consiting of oreos, peanut butter, anything chocolate that I can find...I have alot of social functions coming up so I would like to look & feel my best but the thought of eating nothing but eggs,meat, & fat makes me feel like I am missing something I like. I also have IBS so sugar alcohols are not an option for me so I cannot even enjoy the low carb ice creams & candies.

I hope to join so many of you who have lost weight & if you have any words of advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:56

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot
Progress: 59%

I, like you have been starting and stopping over and over again. I would say get all the bad foods out of your house so there is no way you can cheat. If you must, send someone else to the grocery store. Just do whatever it takes for you to be successful. It is going to be super hard a first but just stick with it at all costs. What I do sometimes is squeeze myself into those smaller clothes and then if I still want to cheat I do it while wearing the clothes I just can't fit and I seem to eat a lot less!!!
Good Luck to you --- You CAN do it!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:57

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKDS
I would like to look & feel my best but the thought of eating nothing but eggs,meat, & fat makes me feel like I am missing something I like.

Don't forget you are allowed vegetables too. Induction is only 2 weeks long. At that point you get to add back nuts, berries, softer cheeses, more vegetable selections etc. By the time that you are at the maint phase I can tell you that you really aren't missing a thing! Just make a commitment and stick with it. It gets easier as you go. Best of luck this time!

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:25
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsah
Don't forget you are allowed vegetables too. Induction is only 2 weeks long. At that point you get to add back nuts, berries, softer cheeses, more vegetable selections etc. By the time that you are at the maint phase I can tell you that you really aren't missing a thing! Just make a commitment and stick with it. It gets easier as you go. Best of luck this time!

Jenn

I second this. Induction is only 2 weeks and then you can add berries etc back in. The first time I had strawberries, they were as sweet as candy.

Stay focused and you CAN succeed! Best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:30

Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

I think the low carb ice cream uses Splenda, not sugar alcohols. Not sure that's right, but it's worth checking out next time you're in the grocery store.

Dan
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I think the low carb ice cream uses Splenda, not sugar alcohols.

LeCarb icecream uses glycerine. All other icecreams have sugar alcohols, and the Bryers has fructose along with sugar alcohols.

If you go through induction and get rid of all processed foods and sweet things, you will be amazed at how much your tastebuds change. I'm not sayign you won't like chocolate, but the cravings do diminish. You can also try taking L-Glutamine for the cravings.

What it is going to come down to though is you deciding what is more important. Losing weight and getting healthy, or the momentary pleasure of a sweet taste and the concequences after. Until you are serious about losing weight and giving up your addiction it won't happen.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:48
Registered Member

Stats: 292.5/277.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Mommy KDS! I have a solution to your chocolate vice! Try the Chocolate Reddiwhip! It's great and it tastes just like chocolate mousse! It really helped me out this week (I just finished week 1 of induction and lost 11 lbs.!). There is 1 carb in 2 TBSP. Just make sure you know how much your eating!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:51

Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Where is the Chocolate Reddiwhip in the grocery?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:06

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

It's in/near the dairy case that has all the aerosol cans of whipped topping. Usually it is near the yogurt, sour cream, etc. I've even seen it near the butter and margarine.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:13

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

MommyKDS,

Try also KETO Brand Ice Cream.

The Butter Pecan flavor contains only glycerine and polydextrose, and no sugar alcohols.

H
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh yeah! After induction dip fresh strawberries in splenda and sour cream. It's an amazing treat.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:07

Stats: 161/151.5/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks for all the advice!