Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/249/185 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Unhappy Feeling sick to my stomach

I started Atkins about a year ago and lost about 50lb in 6 months...(I never felt better) I then proceeded to quit and gain 25-30lb back in the following 6 months. I have been trying to get back on over the past month or two with varying success. I am about a week into induction but I cheated over the weekend... the thought of eating protean makes me sick to my stomach. The thought of eating meat, cheese or salad makes me feel nasty, I almost cant get it near my mouth. So im eating a lot less then im supposed to which is making me feel even worse. I really don?t know what to do. Anyone else ever get like this? If so what did you do to get past it? Any advice to help me get passed this would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:14

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

The first time I tried to do atkins I experienced this. I ultimately could not shake the sick feeling, so quit, but this time I am feeling great. The foods that I was able to eat last time were:
sf jello
string cheese
Peanut butter and celery
occasionally tuna salad or kilbasa sweetened w/ lemon and splenda
thats it. I lost very quickly, but I think it was b/c I was so sick all the time! This time I am apparently enjoying myself too much because I am barely loosing.... good luck,
rebekah.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkers
The first time I tried to do atkins I experienced this. I ultimately could not shake the sick feeling, so quit, but this time I am feeling great. The foods that I was able to eat last time were:
sf jello
string cheese
Peanut butter and celery
occasionally tuna salad or kilbasa sweetened w/ lemon and splenda
thats it. I lost very quickly, but I think it was b/c I was so sick all the time! This time I am apparently enjoying myself too much because I am barely loosing.... good luck,
rebekah.

The first time I had a little of this, nothing this bad. The thought of eating is making me sick yet if I dont eat I feel even worse

Maybe I'll try some SF jello
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:38
Registered Member

Stats: 165/119/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 115%

I am going through the exact same thing right now. I've only been doing Atkins since about March 3, though. I've never cheated and it seems that as of late, I dread every single meal. I know that there are a lot of different induction recipes out there, but the thought really of eating anything makes my stomach uneasy. I have been eating my 3 meals a day plus snacks but it is incredibly difficult to get it choked down. I'm hungry, but I'm only eating the fat, protein, veggies because I know I need to eat, not because I enjoy it. It seems, too, that every other day or so I feel extremely fatiqued. I have lost about 8 pounds since March 7, but that's it.

I know that maybe it's time to increase my carbs since I've done three weeks of induction, but because I've lost so little weight all this time, I'm afraid to move on.

Not much advice here...just wanted to say I understand!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Why not check out the recipe forum on here and other recipe sites online. Maybe having a zucchini lasagne, mock mac and cheese, or other treats can make it feel less like a chore and add variety to your menus.

What do your typical menus look like now?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Why not check out the recipe forum on here and other recipe sites online. Maybe having a zucchini lasagne, mock mac and cheese, or other treats can make it feel less like a chore and add variety to your menus.

What do your typical menus look like now?

I know the recipe section would help but I'm so discussed with food that I can barely stand to look or even prepare food.

Lets see... Today I ate:
3oz Turkey (Boars head)
3oz Swiss Cheese
Lattice with 50/50 of baby spinach/romaine and Chunky Blue cheese
2 Cups of Green Tea with Low Carb Milk and Sweet & Low. ( I can't use splenda... It makes me Pee like a race horse)

I know that's not enough but the thought of having to eat again makes me wanna wretch. But I feel sick not eating as well... kinda of a catch 22.

Twilight... It sure stinks. Glad to know someone else is feeling my pain (Misery loves company) Let me know if you find some cure

The bad part is I'm a food lover (go figure... wonder how I got like this in the first place) I love almost all veggies, meats, fish, you name it I usually love it.

Anyway thanks for looking and trying to help.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/215/150 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

Seem to me that you are not getting enough water. Could it be that the queasyness is actually dehydration?
Just a thought.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:32

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hey everyone...
When I started atkins (a little over a year ago) I went through something similar. Did you give up coffee or caffeine? Many people feel extremely nauseous and kind of ill from caffeine withdrawal. This did happen to me and I caved in and started drinking coffee (limited amounts) again. The coffee did not keep me out of ketosis and helped a lot with my queasy stomach.

Also, I agree with an earlier post here: are you sure you are drinking enough water? I don't care what anyone else says, for me it is essential to drink almost 100 ounces a day. The water really flushes you out. Anyways, good luck and I hope you feel better!
Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 92%

hi there!

i can definitely relate to what you're going through. i actually felt that way during the start of this diet...i wasn't used to eating three meals a day, let alone all protein, so i got headaches from cutting the caffeine as well as the carbs. i'm currently on day 15, and i have to tell you that i feel great!

i think it's due to the enormous amount of water i drink and the kinds of foods i eat. i definitely make myself chicken salad with chopped up celery, onions and lettuce with a little bit of mayonnaise--with shredded chicken breast or whatever part you have in your fridge or leftover from wherever. i mix it all together with cumin, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper and that's your salad. i find that this kind of salad made with either chicken or tuna is really good because i control how much mayo i put in it--which is just enough to coat everything, but not too heavy. i also eat a lot of grilled vegetables like eggplant (limiting my portions of course) or bell peppers, which is always good.

but the most important tip that i can give you among all this, not just the example of the salad or anything else, is that the WATER really, really helps me. i don't snack, cause the cravings i get are sweet ones and i just don't do it...instead, i just drink more water (i add mint in mine at times) and the feelings eventually go away.

i think that's going to happen for you like it did me. just eat rather lightly for awhile and you'll get used to it, and you'll be back to where you were. i'm not used to eating so much fat and protein, but i try to incorporate a lot of healthier options like grilling or baking. making a great rub will make all the difference!

hope this helped a little!

good luck!

blue skies,

Kimmy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:46

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Why don’t you ease into it .Do a Low fat moderate carb diet for 2 weeks like South Beach or Insulin resistance, and then go on Induction to really loose weight.
Having some cereal for breakfast or some LC toast will help your transition.
Pene
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:35

BF:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I did kick the water up a bit and that seems to help. Ive been off of the caffeine for about 2 weeks now and drink only green tea which I cant tell if it helps or not.

The chicken salad seems like a great idea... I might have to give that a whirl. I am a big griller/smoler... you'd think that would work to my advantage but I cant stand the sight of food

I would love to try and start with more carbs but I know myself... I would not make it. I would go nuts on the icecream... Im week

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Its nice to know others have been there (or are still there) with me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:50

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Maybe pick up a whole cooked chicken from a deli if you aren't feeling like cooking. You can buy it while it's still hot so won't have to do anything other than throw it on a plate. Might be good to shred and add to a salad and you can buy those prepackaged and all washed up for you as well. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Jenn