Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 01:54

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Question what do you all eat during working hours?

Hi...

I believe there are a lot of us out there are being careful about what to put into our mouths during our working hours.

Just want to know if any of you all have some good tips about avoiding the carb, yet wont look like a weirdo in front of the colleagues.

This afternoon, I went for lunch with my colleagues, and when i got myself a nice hot bowl of mutton curry (no rice ^_* ). They really gave me an odd look, and I felt that they must have big question marks in their heads. I was quite uncomfortable with their reactions.

And by the way, these days I've been to the supermarket and found some low-carb snacks. I found mushroom crunchies (25grams containing 5g of carbs). As well as a japanese snack containing dried little fishes with almond nuts; it is packaged with 18 mini pkts inside , each pkt contains abt 0.7g carb (painstakingly calculated before i purchased it haha).

And noticing a little stall on my weight nowadays... but trying hard to get back on track.

Cheers!
Fumih~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 03:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fumih, have you thought of telling your coworkers that you're allergic to gluten? I simply tell those who inquire that I dont eat bread. They dont seem to have any problem accepting that. Not eating sugar isnt a big thing here for some reason... It's as if they understand but realize they couldnt do it themselved

I tend to pay them no mind.. If i want my cheeseburger sans bun that's how I'm going to have it!! and of course there is the fact that they all notice that there's a lot of less of me now... so it must be working

I have some peanut butter, sunflower seeds and celery at work all the time, ensuring I'm never caught short handed. I'm also forutnate that There is a food court in my building, and a very nice man who runs the cheeseburger joint who makes me bunless burgers at a special price a few times a week.

Just wanted to say, nice job on the weight loss to date. I bet you feel wonderful. And welcome to the forum

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 05:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Isn't it amazing how we worry about what other people THINK about what we are eating??? It's wacked, when you really dwell on it.

I wouldn't dream of critisizing somebody's food, unless they were knawing on a plugged in extension cord. And anybody who does make absurd critical comments about what's on the end of your fork should be treated with the good humor and lack of seriousness that they deserve. I'd be smiling and saying "Pi$$ off, I'm eating the table cloth next!" (You have to know me to understand that I can get away with the *P.O* thing - I'm thought of in my circles as somewhat assertive )

Anyway I have developed a real love of curry dishes without the rice now. I think of them as stew.

I pack my lunch every day - salad and a can of tuna on it with ranch dressing. A few nuts or 1/2 tomato. It's about time I bored myself with food.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/1955/180
BF:
Progress:

My H works with mostly men, so he gets razzed quite a bit.

I made a pile of beef jerky in the oven and we freeze it.
I never knew how easy it was to make!!

When he goes out with customers he usually orders either a grilled chicken salad, or a steak and salad.

The snacks, is probably the hardest. He also takes pork rinds to work, does not eat much of them but they work in a pinch. I am going to do some research on pistacios and make little bags of them for him.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 09:12

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have little problem with what I eat in front of my colleagues because a) I do not fear at all what they think about something as silly as my lunch and b) I frequently go to lunch alone anyway. I like to go to the deli at a nearby supermarket and get chicken salad. More delicious and a lot cheaper than going to a restaurant. I could live on that chicken salad, and actually, I guess that's what I've been doing this week! Other times I bring a slice of meatloaf (or sometimes two slices!) and eat it throughout the day at my desk. Depends on my mood.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 01:09

BF:

Hi Nat

Thats a good idea.....gluten~ but it seems that my colleagues have seen me eating rice/bread/those carbs before ....shld i just say i am on a diet or something?

Just downed another bowl of curry chicken. Does anyone know what's the typical carb. of a bowl curry chicken? I estimated at abt 6g for a middle size bowl good for a person. Is it correct?

And I've got another question, i weighed myself this morning and discovered i kind of lost a pound plus. yet, my measurements dont seem to reduce. So is it considered that I lost fat, not water?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 16:00

Plan: Carbo. addicts diet
Stats: 240/182/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default snacks

I also munch on dill pickles and celery stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter(try the sugar free). Also we have cheese sticks and look up the mock danish recipie, it's very good.

Last edited by gpop529 : Thu, Oct-25-01 at 22:04.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 08:19

BF:

Hiee..

Yap I have heard of pork rinds. But it seems that i cant find it in Singapore so far.

My friend who is studying in Indiana thinks of sending me beef jerky. She says beef jerky is made of beef and cheese. But I have seen some jerkys in the supermarket today. They are quite high in sugar. I guess jerky isnt a good choice for snacking right?

I made myself a nice dish of curry salmon, with egg tofu...

Thank God I managed to get back on track now, despite wolfing down 3 pieces of Siew Mai (Hong Kong Tim Sum)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 08:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Fumih_81
Thats a good idea.....gluten~ but it seems that my colleagues have seen me eating rice/bread/those carbs before ....shld i just say i am on a diet or something?

I'd just say nothing. A polite smile, a nod, and continue enjoying your meal. If you were canadian I'd suggest bringing up the weahter.... that always gets a conversation started

Quote:
I guess jerky isnt a good choice for snacking right?

Jerky can be a great snack if you make it yourself. Take a look at the "Low Carb Kitchen" I am positive I saw some threads on making jerky in there. Try a search as well (little globe icon at the top of the page on the right).

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 13:24

Stats: 217/188/145
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Eating at work

Although I work at a medium-sized printing company (+/- 65 employees), the front office staff is a mere 3 (not including executives).

Since I started the diet, I've converted the 2 other staff members to low-carb! This makes lunch and snacking easy for me.

My typical lunches are:
Chicken salad on lo-carb tortillas (la tortilla factory)
Grilled chicken salads with ranch
PBJ on lo-carb tortilla
Baja burritos (no beans & add cream cheese) on lo-carb tortilla

and for dessert, my favorite is lo-carb "ambrosia"
cottage cheese, cool whip and sugar free jello - delicious!

If we do snack, it's on sunflower seeds or beef jerky but I don't typically get the snacking urge until the evening.

I've lost nearly 40 lbs. and lo-carbing has become my lifestyle, not a diet.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 14:06

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

The thing with "Food at work" is a bit of a problem for me as well, not because of comments from co-workers, but because of availability. I am a working mom, and I really haven't got the time to prepare food the evening before or in the morning. So I have to rely on surrounding pubs and sandwich shops.

Here is my tips:

Sandwich shops sell a lot of goodies. Most of the fillings are fine on LC (Cheese and cucumber, ham and egg, Egg-Mayonnaise). The local shop is getting quite used to me buying BLT with no bread and now call it "Bacon Salad"

The pub next door sells baked potatoes with a range of fillings and side salad. I order the LC ones (spicy chicken and sour cream is my favourite at the moment) on extra large salad instead of Potato. Yummy

The only comment I had today was, when I went for a bacon salad after having lunch earlier. My collegue said: "Gosh you are eating a lot. How do you do it ? You are only skin and bones !" I don't think I have to tell you, that I was smiling all afternoon

I also managed to convert one of my collegues to the LC way. He is loves it.

Greetings and good luck
Sabine
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 21:10

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Eat when you want and feel good about it

I eat all day and everyone around is watching to make sure I am eating what I am suppose to. Tell them and tell them proudly that you are doing something to better yourself - to improve the quality of your life and remember those that criticize now would criticize you regardless if you were eating as they were.

You are here to please yourself and working is how I make money it does not define who I should be as a person.

I eat individual packets of planters peanuts, beef jerky and mostly salads of any sort for lunch. Sometimes I do go for the double cheeseburgers but food is becoming less important as the days go on.

keep going forward!
Shannon
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

I usually will have a salad with all kinds of fixins. Cheese, ham, chicken salad, sunflower seeds, assorted veges etc. I'm lucky because we have a cafeteria here at work where everything is ala carte. I'm able to order a chopped beef steak with onions and then go make my on salad. I keep almons, beef jerky and pork rinds in my desk for emergencies. I also like to bring a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast. I just can't seem to eat right when I wake up. I need about 2 hours before I can eat anything.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 23:20

BF:
Cool

Hi there

Wow read abt all the different ways to dieting while working.

Today I brought a meal in my lunch box that is chicken with scrambled eggs...to rid of my stall cum cheat (last Saturday's meal). wow, miraculously I am feeling so satisfied after this meal!

Does anyone cook some foods in the morning and bring it to work as lunch?

now i am wondering what other kinds of foods that i can prepare in the morning and bring it to work. Today's chicken was actually prepared the night before, all seasoned and cooked. And the eggs were only added in the morning.

I am trying to locate meat jerky recipes here~ I thought I knew there is such a recipe in this forum...can anyone tell me where is it?

Thanks a lot!!! Happy eating and enjoy life!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 01:11

Stats: 172/168/140
BF:
Progress:
Default work mates

I know what you guys mean about work mates giving you a hard time about what you / I eat. I told my work mates that I was eating according to the Atkins plan and they just look at what I eat and roll their eyes. I was eating Mac nuts yesterday and this one girl said - gosh can you find any nuts with any more fat. I will be happy when next summer I am in a slinky dress and she is in a moo moo. It is irritating, but I just ignore most comments and go on with eating my hot wings.