Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 10:25
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Water intake, and a splenda question

I think I'm not drinking enough water. It's the only thing left that I haven't changed that much. I'm still not losing, not since a nice little 'whoosh' thing a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to be patient, and I 100% believe that this WOE is right for me, I just really want to get some of this fat off!!!

I read the Eades's new book, the 30 Day LC Diet, and they said that it was okay to count all your daily drinks toward your daily water intake. Maybe that's not quite right? Should I only be counting water towards that total?

Also, I know someone who has a small business making syrups from berries she grows on her farm. At my pleading, she's developing a "syrup" that would essentially be splenda drops, liquid sucralose diluted in purified or water. She's still working on making sure it won't need a preservative of some kind so that there could be a pocket-size one as well. She labels all her berry syrups to be refrigerated after opening, so she's able to make them all natural.

Anyway, she's asked me several times whether I'm sure a product like this would be popular, mostly because to purchase the concentrate from the Splenda folks is a fairly large investment (they have a very high $$$ minimum order limit - I suspect that it's to keep people like us from ordering our own stash! ).

I figured that this would be a good place to ask and to get some input to help me to persuade her to do it. I'm afraid I'm eager enough myself to get my mitts on this stuff that I might just be encouraging her to undertake a project that might lose money for her. I should be ashamed of myself...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 11:31
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

I know there's discussion about this (just do a search for water on this site, and you'll get a ton of hits), but for me the rule that makes sense is: divide your weight by 2 and drink that in ounces. (So for me, I work on drinking 136 ounces a day, at least.) I don't count anything but water in that total, because I feel thirsty if I drink less--and that means I'm dehydrated and really need my water! How to drink that much water? I fill my liter sized Nalgene bottle all the way to the top of the shoulder (where the top gets screwed on)--that's 36 ounces. ( I measured it.) Drink 4 of those and I'm done. I tend to drink right after I've hit the restroom to lose the LAST intake.

Jude
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 11:33
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

As far as the Splenda syrup: my concern would be whether she could get in trouble with the FDA, who have not yet approved liquid Splenda here. Yea, I know, picky, picky....

Are your friend's fruit syrups made with sugar or Splenda? THOSE are intriguing!

Jude
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi, Mossling!

Thanks for your reply - I love your avatar!

You're right about finding the info on water... I did a search shortly after I posted this question. That's me to a tee, ask first then look!

So far she's only made syrups with sugar. She likes to be able to label them All Natural, so she's only just started to consider making a line that would have Splenda instead of sugar. (yahoo!) As far as the FDA thing, it's not a problem. The FDA has approved Splenda as a food additive/food ingredient. It's the Splenda people who have chosen not to market liquid Splenda or Splenda drops in the US. Very strange management, if you ask me. She's been consulting with a Splenda rep. about her plans, and so far so good. It's just the question of whether the investment would work out for her. Right now she puts her syrups in glass bottles, etc., and going into doing a product like we're talking about would mean purchasing different kinds of bottles (like little plastic ones for drop-at-time usage) and maybe some other sizes. Plus, so far she's had a good sales volume just locally at the farmer's market, etc, which would not be enough to justify the investment, so she'd have to start selling online, etc. to have the volume of sales.

Lots to consider before she takes the plunge. I'm over here hopping from one foot to the other in anticipation, but I don't want to push her into a financial chasm!