Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:24

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Love your picture serrelind, you look great. Keep up the good work.

Lily, many thanks! You are making unbelievable progress! You keep up the great work too

Serri
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

May I add that (IMO) age has a lot to do with it? I'm 5'2" tall and I know anything below 120 lbs. would make me look sick. On the other hand, a 5'2" 21 year old would probably look great at 105 lbs (what I weighed in my early 20s). She'd also look a heck of a lot better in low rise jeans and a midriff top than I would!! LOL

I think the important thing is that these women are going about it in a HEALTHY way. They're eating good fats, lots of veggies, and they're cutting out sugar. They're not starving themselves or eating just one meal a day. IMO, that's not a bad thing.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:26
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.B.
I should add AFwife...CONGRATS! on your weight lose!!!!

I'm sorry I take the ED personally as I lost a very close friend 4 years ago to an ED....she starved herself to the point her organs could no longer function. The more people told her she was healthy looking or commenting on her weight lose it drove her more....more starving...more exercising...
The last year of her life she was being fed through a tube in her nose that went to her stomach...she pulled it out all the time. I saw her 3 hours before she dies of cardiac arrest. I realized over time I couldn't help her as much as I tried....it was very painful to see her like that. So yes I do understand where your coming from when you say you want to 'help'...I wanted to help too.

Sorry for your loss I know how hard that can be.

Thanks.

When I was 17 I was really, really thin. Weighed about 100 pounds and I'm 5'3. This was too thin for me. Everyone kept telling me I was too thin that I needed help. I was taking diet pills left and right and sometimes even forcing myself to vomit. I was lucky to have such good friends there for me. It could have gotten worse. Now, I'm at the extreme end of the stick. Not obssessed (sp?) with weight anymore but I do want to be at a HEALTHY one.

Hugs to ya,

Lily
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:32

Stats: 150/132/110 Female 5'5
BF:37%
Progress: 45%
Question

AFwife do you think your metabolism got all screwed up becasue of the diet pills? I'm on the Atkins due to Hypothyroidism....not sure your reasons. I do not mine was caused by taking a stack of Ephedrine/Caffeine/ Asprin (deadly fat burning stack)...just curious. I think weight lose pills of any kind are really making people ill....and harming their metabolism...just from some of the things I've read in my research. I burnt my thyroid out totally.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:34
PuertoRican Princess

BF:

HUH, I don't know. Good question.

All I know is after I had my first born, the weight just kept going up and up and up. I've tried everything. Losing a few pounds to just gain it agian. Nothing worked till I tried Atkins back in November. I love this WOE and love this forum.

I didn't know pills could even do that to you. Interesting!

Lily
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:38

Talking

Glad I could inform you about that...keep in mind I was taking double the dose required (I was getting ready for a bikini contest). I went into liver and kidney failure and was in ICU for 6 weeks...I almost died. I strongly recommend people NOT take any diet or fat burning pills....you can end up with a burnt out thyroid, heart problems, burnt out adrenal glands....and MAJOR weight problems....do it the healthy way...ATKINS, exercise and lots of water.

8 glasses of water a day burns 300 calories!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:40
PuertoRican Princess

BF:

Glad to know you recovered.

Thanks for the heads up. Especially since I was fixing to get some Fat burning pills this weekend. Guess I won't be now.

Lily
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:05

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
I should also ad...do you like the tern FAT or being called FAT? Skinny is just as negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask someone who is slim how they feel about the term SKINNY...they will tell you it's like being called fat. Sadly as much as people judge those that are over weight...people judge those that are slim...saying stuff like "oh she must be anorexic" or she "she probably starves herself"...as someone with Hypothyroidism who used to be 'skinny' I don't like that word at all. My mom is 5'4 and weighs 105 pounds...and gets called skinny all the time....it hurts her. Please do not use that term unless you want people to call you fat!

BBB--I am truly sorry if I offended anyone by referring to them as "skinny". I guess I would love to be called "skinny", which at this point ain't ever gonna happen. What I really meant was people who are already slender (and yes, I recognize that's a very subjective word in itself) doing Atkins to lose weight beyond what some people might consider healthy. I don't think there's any question, at least on this board, that Atkins can benefit anyone's health, regardless of their weight. So I think Atkins can be appropriate for thin, slender, svelte, lean, trim (I'm trying to think of a word here that won't offend) people as well as the rest of us who would like to lose weight. Of course, in that circumstance I think they need to adjust Atkins so that weight is maintained. But what I'm saying is, doesn't there come a point where most reasonable people will agree that further weight loss is not healthy? For example, if someone at 5'6" is already 115 lb. but wants to get down to 85 or 90 lb., should we encourage her and give her unconditional support? Or should we have the nerve to suggest, at the expense of offending the poster or someone else on the board, that this goal weight is unhealthy?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:12

I do agree 5'6 90 or 80 pounds is unhealthy.....best way to deal with that...tell them to discuss it with their doctor. I don't think anyone should be low carbing without discussing with your doctor to begin with anyway....just my opinion. I have some struggles with Atkins because with Hypothyroidism the weight lose is very slow....almost to the point of being discouraging!

No we should not encourage someone to be 'under weight' but we should not judge...maybe try to understand why they feel the need to weight so little.

Sorry I got upset about the term 'skinny'....I just wanted peope, to understand there is a negative word for slim people as well.

I wish everyone in this forum the BEST on their weight lose/ or getting better health journey!

I just joined yesterday and today was the first day in months where I actually felt encouraged...thanks to the people on this board. Friends in cyber space....who would have known you would motivate me so much!

I love you all *HUGS*
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:13
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

My Dr. is thin and fit looking, and has been on Atkins for 8 weeks now. I asked him why, since he was always thin and fit looking. He said he's following the Atkins WOE/WOL for health reasons! He had began putting pateients who had been unable to lose weight with other "diets" on Atkins since last spring. He has seen tremendous improvements in his patients' health (outside of the weight loss). Many of his patients have been able to get off of the medications that they had been taking (for choleresterol, diabetes, blood pressure, etc.).

Mike

Last edited by bonesigh : Fri, Mar-19-04 at 11:23.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:14
PuertoRican Princess

BF:

I don't think anyone in there right mind will tell someone it's ok to get to a dangerously low weight. I do think however, that we should help this person realize that perhaps this # they seek isn't healthy. Give them our support by listening to them, holding their hand persay. Letting them know that we care and that maybe they should change their goal weight to a # that would allow them to be healthy, and look good at the same time.

Do they have high cholesterol or any other reason they need to atain this #? Then perhaps suggest Lifetime Maintence instead of starting out with Induction. Much safer. IMO.

Lily
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:14

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
(I can put my thumb and middle finger around my wrist and they over lap to the first nuckle...that should give you an idea of my frames size).

Me too. I'm 5'8 and at my current weight I'm in a size 12. Not near fitting into a 10. I always wondered why at a certain weight and height my body fat % and the size I wear were always so much HIGHER that what the all the charts say. After looking into frame sizes I've learned I'm way smaller than what is considered "small framed" for my height.

My goal is to reach a healthy body fat % (at my current weight I'm still not in the healthy range) and a size 8. I've weighted in the mid 120's before and wore a size 6 or 8 (depending on the brand/cut) and had a healthy body fat %. But trust me, my BF still wasn't super low-- looks-wise I still didn't look super lean.

I'm thinking now I may have to lower my goal weight by 5-10 lbs when I get closer but am also apprehensive about how others on the boards will take it. I will probably remove my height from my profile at that time to avoid people telling me I'm too thin. I agree, on paper 5'8 and 130 ish lbs looks thin-- but it isn't on this frame!

On the flip side, there are many people who do have body image issues and truly ARE aiming to be too thin. The question is, how do you identify which is which in this type of setting? It's a hard one. I don't really have an answer but if you are going to say something (which I don't think is inappropriate in cases where an ED may really be at play) try to also remember that there are some people who's stats do not equal that of the "average" person and that could be a very reasonable explanation for the low goal weight.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:15

Thumbs up

Great to hear a Dr. is promoting Atkins....alot of Dr.'s need to get educated...alot have old school ideas (the food pyramid )....GREAT to hear!!!!!!!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 11:26

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

my hubby is curently very thin. we have been talking about getting him to do atkins for the sole reason of GAINING WEIGHT or muscle. he currently eats a lot of carbs and finds it hard to gain weight (dont i wish i had the same problem). we've tried that weight gain stuff but it just did not help. he has a metabolism to die for. however this leaves him with almost no fat reserves and if he gets sicks and is unable to eat it takes a while he has no fat storage to raid.

i figure putting him on atkins with all of that protein will help him put some bulk on - muscle not fat. besides more proteins instead of carbs has got to be better for you.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 11:42
PuertoRican Princess

BF:

Hey jedswife,

I found this website that may be of use to your DH.

Good luck, just click on link.

http://www.herbalremedies.com/unweigskinne.html

Lily