Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%
Unhappy question

Hi all...this is my first post and I think I'm probably going to get told that I'm an idiot (although I expect it will be done nicely). I've been doing everything I'm supposed to and had lost 3 pounds but today...it's back. My clothes fit a bit better I think , but the scale is depressing me. And...here's the part where I think I'll get a ration....I have had 3 glasses of wine this week (counting the carbs in my total.) Yeah...I know...I'll skip the wine for now...but is that my only problem? Sample day for me is:

decaf with 1 tsp vanilla cremora (counted)(3 carbs)
half a chicken breast
roast beef wrapped around arugala and 2 slices of cheese(4 carbs)
Ditto above or chicken or tuna with mayo(4 carbs)
half a chicken breast with ranch and some lettuce(2 carbs)
2 more cups of decaf through the day(black)
pork tenderloin (or chicken breast) with salad and ranch(2 carbs)
roast beef wrapped in 1 slice of cheese(3 carbs)
drinking AT LEAST 12 glasses of water a day
Anyone see anything horribly wrong here?
On those days that I had the wine I skipped the carb somewhere else (like ranch or cheese)
(When I do have deli beef I count a couple of carbs just in case it was seasoned with something that needs consideration)

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:55

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Actually it looks pretty decent. I would check the labels on your cremora, ranch dressing, mayo and roast beef or any deli meats for that matter and make sure there are no sugars(include looking for the hidden sugar names) even if you are counting the carb that could be it. Also cheese slows weight loss for some but then has no effect on others. Maybe try less cheese and see if that has anything to do with it. Could be water retention from salt. Also is it that time of the month? That can cause a little weight gain from which I read happens with a lot of women. Wine/beer/spirits always slowed my weight loss so that definately might have something to do with it. Try to vary your veggies more too. Most of your carbs should be coming from veggie sources.

jenn
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Honestly, unless I am missign something, I really don't see much wrong with your diet at all, I would skip the vanilla cremora, and maybe cut down on the cheese, but the rest sounds fine to me...are you maybe excersizing more? Muscle may be building up a bit. Have you tried fitday.com to see and exact carb count etc..?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

I'll be honest and say that I haven't kicked in a new excercise plan and I know that would help. I lost 100 pounds once before on a low cal diet with a steady excercise program but find that with 2 kids (which I didnt have then) the excercise thing is alot harder to wiggle in. (Even a walk with a 2yr old and 5 yr old doesnt count...LOL) I'll cut back on cheeses, eat more veggies, and try to get in a bit more excercise. And now that it's been mentioned...I'm due for my period next week so maybe that's having an effect to. Thanks for the quick responses. Just needed some reassurance.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Hey, you know I have a 2.5 year old, and what I have finally managed to do is after work put her in her stroller adn do 2 miles around the mall - I joined a walkers club there...it does take a lot of planning, and I am not sure if it would work for you with 2 kids, but it might be an idea...good luck
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 11:34
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I'd probably blame it all on the wine. Your burning alcohol before fat. Try to keep induction clean. It really is a great thing. I am close to starting my 5th week of induction. I'm not losing as fast as some .. but my clothes feel better and my brain and emotions do too.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:
Smile yay!

Hey all...just wanted to thank you for the support. I hopped on the scale today and am now showing 6 pounds down...(and yep, I started my period just this morning so that might have had something to do my initial weight loss reappearing on the scale for a day.) I've also managed to acheive some loss of appetite which makes sticking with the program SOOOOO much easier.

My cravings are virtually non-existant (unless some chocolate dessert is put right under my nose), and I dont get the starving screaming meamies at all. I've been basically eating 7 or 8 really light meals (or large snacks) over the course of each day (when I feel the need for something) and feel satisfied...although I do eat an occassional sitdown meal with my kids. I cant believe how quickly I get "full" now.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether or not I'm technically in ketosis. I didnt buy the strips, but dont have remarkable bad breath so I'm just not sure. I'm going to assume that I am because of the weight loss.

Thanks again for the boost you gave when I needed it!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:30

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Congrats on the weight loss!! If you are losing, I would just assume what you are doing is perfect. I never used those sticks either and lost just fine.

Jenn