Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 19:46
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%
Default I don't want to be rude, so what do I do?

I check out the "new posts" whatever, and sometimes I want to reply to someone who has just joined. Often I don't notice where they are posting, but often enough it is in the triple digits forum.

So. I gather a LOT of inspiration from you guys, and sincerely wish you all well. But, obviously, at my weight, my posting here could easily seem like an annoyance. That doesn't mean that I have not been battling being overweight most of my life, but at the moment, I am in the "normal" range of BMI. I'm also over 60 years old, so don't worry about my being unrealistic about my weight.

My question is, how can I respond and encourage someone who posts in this forum who doesn't have a journal and who hasn't enough posts to receive a private message? I once asked DWRolfe this question and he said fine to post here, but I just feel sort of weird doing so.

What do others think?

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:00
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hey TarHeel, I post here sometimes even though I am not a TDCer, hope I have not been out of line in doing so. Some of the most interesting and helpful info seems to be here in the TDC. So I would be interested in hearing if its ok, too.

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:03
Bad Girl Queen

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 388/388/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Personally, I feel support is support! We're all here for the same reason. Some have more, some have less, and some have even reached their goal. But we all need support.

~Becky
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:04

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I for one can use all the encouragement I can get. I think it's sweet that you guys want to be there for others.

No matter how much we all have to lose, we're all fighting the same battle. I could be wrong, but I say fine.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:08

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Add me to the list of frequent lurkers and occasional posters. When I started, I thought I had darn near 100 to lose. Once I learned about bodyfat %, I realized that dropping that much would not only be unhealthy, but impossible. (I have 135 lbs of lean mass) I still like to read a lot of the threads here, though. I find them inspiring, and lurking in DWRolfe's journal has been my secret weapon for many a crisis or temporary loss of faith.

Cheers,

Friday
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:22

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Personally, I think it is wonderful that you would want to post and encourage anyone with any amount of weight to lose. We need all the encouragement we can get and I certainly appreciate it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:29
Give chance a chance

Well, thanks, I feel better. Just didn't want to make anyone feel bad....And, as someone else said, there is such good advice here in this forum! It all helps, whether we are trying to lose a lot or a little. I tend to learn something from everyone.

Carry on,

Kay
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

We all like support and we appreciate all the support we can get! I can't imagine that anyone with over 100 pounds to lose could ever think they were getting too much support! The only time I mind when someone with a lot less than 100 pounds posts in the TDC, is when they start arguing that their experience should be generalizable to those of us with over 100 pounds to lose. You never do that, so don't worry about it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:44

Stats: 301/280/160 Female 66 inches
BF:5th amendment
Progress: 15%

Post away. Support is essential and I think it is great you are willing to take the time to offer advice and support for us. Also, good advice is good advice in itself.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:52
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I agree. I would not be offended.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:59
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

TarHeel, lizwhip and fridayeyes, you are all hereby honorary members of the TDC!! Post to your hearts' content!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:02

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
The only time I mind when someone with a lot less than 100 pounds posts in the TDC, is when they start arguing that their experience should be generalizable to those of us with over 100 pounds to lose. You never do that, so don't worry about it!

That, or when someone who weighs 115 goes on and on about how fat they are. My sister is famous for it. My response? "If you think you're gross at your weight, WHAT must you think of me?"
Anyways, I love to learn things from all different people, and I'm sure the people who have lots less to lose will be a huge help to all of us when we get closer to goal since they're going through that now.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:40
Give chance a chance

Rosie: In terms of getting closer to goal, I have been at the same weight (or up and down around it) for about three months. But the good news is that if you keep reading all the posts here, you are not tempted to give up.

I'm pretty happy where I am now, at my age. I'm only five feet tall. so If I were younger, I'd probably be aiming much lower.

At any rate, there is no way in the world that I'm going to complain about being fat. This WOL has drastically improved my blood lipid panels and my blood pressure. The fact that I can wear jeans I used to wear in 1989 is just gravy.

Kay
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:54

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

I agree with everyone else.

As I roll out the red carpet, I say - Welcome!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:02

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'd like to join in the welcome. I appreciate all the good wishes here. And I think most of us have the common goal of better health in mind, not just weight loss. Many of us in this forum sometimes hear some nasty things in the "real" world, so all the support we get here is so welcome!

Nice to meet you all.