Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Unhappy IT happened to me today... (warning: candy mentioned)

Well IT happened to me today...I've heard others talking about it...and knew it would happen to me SOME time...but I didn't expect it to come from the person it came from....

So I'm standing on the Easter candy isle at Wal-Mart looking for the sugar free candy I saw at the other Wal-Mart to buy for my ds who is lc-ing. All I've found so far is sf choco eggs and jelly beans...I'm thinking there was more...so I ask the lady working the isle..."Do you have any more sugar free candy here that I'm missing?" So we walk down the isle a ways and another woman comes up and says that she's looking for sf candy too, she's buying for a diabetic. About this time I notice down on the bottom shelf RS low carb choco covered marshmallow eggs. So I exclaim..."LOW CARB chocolate covered eggs! Yeah!"

The woman gives me a scornful look and very hatefully says..."Low carb...those people are SUCH liars!!!" I was flabergasted. I said, well, I've lost almost 60 lbs. on a low carb diet." She says, hatefully again, "Well, I'm a nurse and they're liars. Sure hope you have good kidneys." I stood up from my kneeling position and said, "Well, I've been doing this a year and I've lost about 60 lbs and I feel great," as I twirled around to show myself off.

What I wanted to do was shake the woman hard and slap her face and say WAKE UP!!! You see, this woman was at least 100 lbs. over weight!!! But I didn't....I just showed her the sf Hershey's eggs I had found earlier.

The funny thing is how upset I got over it...I was shaking. I wasn't mad, I just couldn't believe she had the nerve to be so HATEFUL to someone she doesn't even know who obviously could have been helpful to her. But that's okay...before I left the store I WAS able to give tips to 2 other people! I love shopping and LOOK for opportunities to tell my story and encourage others to give it a try. Hopefully today's experience will be few and far between!

<sigh>

Anyhoo...I ended up finding:
RS sf chocolate bunny (bought for ds)
RS sf chocolate mini eggs (bought for ds)
RS sf chocolate covered marshmallow eggs (bought for ds)
Hershey's sf chocolate mini eggs (more expensive than RS)
RS sf jelly beans (ds doesn't really like jelly beans)

That's it...though I'm thankful! And excited for ds. I could swear they had sf peanut butter eggs at the other Wal-Mart. And I wish Cadbury would make their eggs sf....I'm not sure HOW I'm going to get through Easter without one!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:12

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

What is wrong with people?! What ever happened to manners?

You handled the situation very well, much better than I would have for sure. Hopefully, the woman will pick up a clue. We can only hope.

I have that the folk most scornful of low carbing are those who are not willing to take that step and deal with their dependence on sugar and starches.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:15

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Freckles,
What you experienced was pure, absolute jealousy on this woman's part. You should just feel sorry for her. She believes she has to stay fat and if she gives in to your belief that LC is healthy and it works, then she won't have any excuses any more. And she just can't let you batter that wall down with Truth. Isn't nice to find something that works and to feel so awesome? I think that Former Fatties enjoy their newly thin bodies so much more than Never Been Fatties.
Susan
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I am sorry you had to experience that, it must have been awful!! But boy did you ever handle it well .
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Well, somebodies got to stick up for those not present so it may as well be me....
I don't really think the women was really angry at you or low carbers...more than likely she is just frustrated as hell like lots of us have been and many still are. She has tried unsuccessfully to lose weight and failed. Failing can make you stronger if you're positive and persistant but it can make you cruel and angry if it beats you....it makes people do and say thing they wouldn't otherwise say. It's easy to smile when you're winning but it's a real show or character when you can smile when you're losing.
Then again maybe she's just a b*tch
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:25

Stats: 221/221/190 Female 5'7"
BF:49.5%/48.5%/25%
Progress: 0%

My Mom is a nurse and she and several people at her work are all low-carbing, including a respiratory therapist. I guess we need to find a urologist amongst the ranks to really put that myth to rest!

In the meantime, I need to get my hands on those marshmallow eggs! They're so gross and so good at the same time- those and Peeps have always been my favorite.

You handled yourself very well. I would've been speechless- or told her to educate herself before giving advice. Good job!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:26

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Thanks for sharing your story. You handled the encounter with that very rude woman incredibly well. I hope I remember these stories for the future!

The interesting thing is that when I've told my doctor, periodontist, nurses, etc. that I've begun this WOL they have been nothing but supportive, and have asked a lot of questions on how I'm doing, what I like it about it, what I don't like - in other words, they really want to know. It's amazing that some stranger has the gall to do that!!

P.S. What is RS?

Good luck on your peanut butter egg hunt! (Maybe the Atkins Endulge bar will have to do! )

Rocky
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:27
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Wow...did you find all that in the Easter candy aisle or the diabetic aisle? Marshmellow eggs are DH's favorite...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:41

Stats: 231/170.5/140 Female 64
BF:Scared to know ?
Progress: 66%

I found low-carb RS Choc Mouse eggs and RS P-nut Butter eggs at eckerds in the cutesy easter colors for my son.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:47

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

You handled yourself very well. I probably would have just cut the conversation short and just let her be mad. You can talk till your blue in the face, but some people you cannot convince no matter what. People are very set in their ways, and their PRIDE often gets in the way of learning opportunities.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Rocky Cdn,
RS is short for Russell Stover, the company that makes sugar free and low carb candy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Archie...I totally agree. I'm pretty sure her problem was that she is bitter...and also that she thinks she knows better because she's a nurse. That's why I was able to be kind even though I didn't want to. I figure maybe...just maybe...she'll remember and a little seed will sprout someday and it will change her life. I really do just want to reach out to people like that, I do...and I hope I didn't come across in my post as being hateful myself...I was just so taken aback...I would never talk to someone I didn't know like that, you know? I mean I didn't take a gander in her basket and start hatefully telling her that sugar and carbs are a lie and will kill her. I guess I'm niave enough to believe that all people are nice.

Rocky, RS = Russel Stovers

Hilary...found that candy in the Easter candy isle...all mixed up with the rest of the stuff. The lady said that she had it all in one area, but then the manager came and spread it all out.

TweetyFan...thank you for the heads up about Eckerds!!! The candy at Wal-Mart was also in the Easter colors/packaging...just not as big a selection as I would have liked. I want to make sure my ds has choices so that Easter doesn't tempt him away from lc. So far he has lost 4 lbs. and he's still excited about it. But he's so young, I don't want him to have to suffer while his siblings munch out on garbage.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Just as a side note to let you know that all docs aren't bad....I have a history of kidney problems and a bladder disorder, but both my endo and uro think the diet's great. I guess it's just how willing someone is to change. I really think that's the problem. People get stuck in the way they've been taught for years. It's hard to make them change their minds and see that what they once thought right, is now wrong. I took me three weeks of heated arguments with my hubby for him to see what he was doing just wasn't the way to go.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 18:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

jelly beans. oh, how i am craving jelly beans! EASTER colored jelly beans!! phew....

i never can say the right thing at the right time when someone does something like that to me, so good for you!! i'll have to remember these kinds of posts if this ever happens to me. good job!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:29

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi Freckles!
No I definitely didn't think you handled it badly...just the opposite...you represented us low carber with pride!