Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:42

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default cardio helped my stall

Hey everyone,
You guys have been so supportive to me and have given me so much, so I just wanted to let you guys know whats helped for me. Ive been on Atkins since Feb 1, and lost about 3 lbs originally on induction. I was stalled for a while afterwards, yet at the same time, I was slacking on the exercise. I just recently got back into the routine and I'm now seeing the scale moving. I havent changed anything, just incorporated about 20 minutes of cardio about 3-4 times a week. I run, but really walking will benefit you just the same! I also do ab crunches, and a few of the thigh/glut machines, but thats about it. For those of you that dont have that much to lose like me and are stalled, I really recommend just doing any kind of activity to get that scale moving. Walking at a nice lil pace will do wonders even if you dont like running. Thanks everyone and I hope I can help others like yall have helped me. =)

Brittany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/218.5/155 Female 5'9"
BF:43%/38%/23%
Progress: 42%

I agree with what you are saying. I'm about to go get on the treadmill for a while...I was doing about 40 minutes of walking at 3.5-3.8 and then I joined Curves and haven't been on it for about 3 weeks. I haven't really lost anything since I joined as far as lbs go, but I have lost inches. So I think getting on the dreaded treadmill and doing some walking will do me wonders. Maybe finally I will see the scale get to under 230. Keep up the good work!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:07

BF:

I know its sometimes easier said than done eddiesgirl. Its takes alot of modivation for me some days when the last thing I want to do is get on the treadmill! Good job for you and I wish you the best as well. Lets just try to modivate each other =)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:51

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey Brit girl-- what a wonderful post! It's always nice to be reminded that a little cardio can go a long ways.... sometimes i look at other people who can run massive amounts or do intense exercise routines everyday and my pathetic 30 minutes slow walking on the treadmill seems so....well...pathetic!
Out of curiosity, did u change your diet at all once u started exercising?--like, did u increase cals/carbs or were they fairly restricted still?
=)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:02

BF:

Hey trustycat. I wouldnt worry too much about not being able to run massive amounts. Walking is just as benefitul as running. I've just always enjoyed running, so thats really why I decide to do it. Plus running can be hard on your joints etc. and thats why its so important to stretch. (like I sometimes dont do! =)
But just enjoy yourself and do as much as you can. My fiance is in the Air Force and he's a big runner like myself, yet he's in the military so ya know how they are about ,PUSHING TO THE EXTREME! =) He's always telling me/himself how its so good to push, push, push yourself as hard as you can! I know how to improve etc. you've got to "up" your workouts etc. but this only causes me to feel stressed and I dont enjoy my run. What I've done lately is to run at a nice pace, nothing extreme, just a pace that feels good. I'm sure over time I'll improve gradually, but I'm not all freaked out over my run "times". So girl, dont stress yourself out about what you feel comfortable doing. Everyones different. And the more you do your walking, the better you'll get and you'll be able to walk faster/longer etc. without getting out of breath. And to answer your question, as far as carbs go...What I do is make sure I've had some broccoli or something substantial an hour or so before I go to the gym. Maybe its in my "head" or maybe it really does work, but I havent really felt any different running now than when I did running a while back after eating a bowl of pasta! So just keep it up and your doing fine! =)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Britgirl...thanks for the advice, I am going to try adding more cardio....you are a great source for info
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 07:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Tae Kwan Do, baby!!! Cardio and fun, all at once.

I love my TKD for a few reasons: first, it is the only exercise I have been able to stick with (yep, tried running for six months, hurt my knees and gave me funny calluses) tried walking (I was bored) tried walking with the dog (better, but the weather bugged me.) My TKD class is good because we have a mix of little kids and adults--some adults who are heavy (and no one laughs or singles them out), our instructors are very encouraging, and it's fun, fun, fun. Some calistenics, but mostly full-body workout and good goals. But there is another factor: it is the most expensive form of working out I've ever done. For me, that means I don't skip many lessons, cheapwad that I am I want to get my money's worth.

And finally...it's cool to be forty and brave enough to try this for the first time in my life! I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much at 20, when I was relatively sure my body could do whatever I asked of it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 08:49

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Congratulations on breaking your stall! I am not a cardio-lover but I do feel much better when I "just do it." Thanks for the reminder.