Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/280/200 Male 5-10
BF:
Progress:
Default Doesn't this make you MAD!!!

I have this problem that's been festering with me for a long time, and it has to do with restaurants who screw over LC'rs with outrageous prices.

Like for instance, my local Coney Island restaurant, will not just let me order a Omlette and Bacon by itself. They insist on charging for the hash browns and toast etc. So when I order the omlette and bacon, I get charged 5 dollars for an omlette which I didn't get toast or hashbrowns, plus 1.75 for 4 strips of bacon. Almost seven dollars for a meal which cost them a buck to throw together. I'm about to go crazy with these people!

Styx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:00
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yes it is aggravating, but when I think about it the potatoes and toast are the cheap part of the meal - a piece of bread costs them, what, 10cents maybe, and a potato, about the same? Compare those to the cost of eggs/cheese/bacon and it starts to make sense. Without the carby stuff it is a lot less food, but its the cheap food. Does that make sense?

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:06
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Just like if you buy a pasta dish it's pretty cheap but when I get beef and veggies ya pay threw the nose AND the portions are small.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:14

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

We have this hamburger resturant here, that has an Atkins meal. This meal consist of a bunless hamburger, salad and water. Their Atkins meal is 8.00 dollars. The can get the regular hamburger (w/bun), fries and a drink for 5.50. Makes me wonder why a reg. hamburger, with fries and drink is cheaper than thier Atkins meal.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:19

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Yep that's crazy that they charge so much more for a dinner just because it's low carb

I can't believe they won't let you order separately. I don't think I've had that problem yet with either substitutions or omitting something, but I haven't eaten out in a while.

Just wait a little longer. They'll realize that we're becoming too many and will HAVE to change to accomodate us.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:24
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Birddog, that's crazy! I would ask the manager about that, for sure. Maybe the low carb burger is substantially larger?? Ok now I'm getting pissed off..

Liz
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:38
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

I'm mean...I'll buy the regular dinner and get the potato or fries, and then just leave them on the plate...At least they can't charge me any more for a so called "low-carb" meal, and this way I feel like I'm in control of things by making the choice to leave the potato or fries!! Its ridiculous the way food place gouge people for these meals!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:42
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I think they'll have to come around eventually. Just look at all the restaurants that are finally getting on the bandwagon! I read something recently that three times as many low-carb products were expected to come on the market this year as compared to last year. If the demand keeps increasing, the restaurants are going to have to get their act together with the price/value or LC people will go elsewhere!

My 2 cents for the day!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: ***/***/*** Female 62
BF:
Progress: 3%

we don't eat out that much, so I haven't run into that problem. But I do remember seeing at hardee's their low carb burger was 50cents more than a regular burger. Doesn't make much sense to me, except that LC has become so mainstream more people are doing it, they figure why not cash in.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls923
I'm mean...I'll buy the regular dinner and get the potato or fries, and then just leave them on the plate...At least they can't charge me any more for a so called "low-carb" meal, and this way I feel like I'm in control of things by making the choice to leave the potato or fries!! Its ridiculous the way food place gouge people for these meals!!

I am a little meaner than that! I'll have them wrap everything up for my dog! At least he's happy too!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:45

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I'd speak with a manager. If that does not go well, tell him/her that you will be taking your business elsewhere.

I grew up with one rule when eating out: if you can make it easily at home, you don't buy it at a restaurant.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:49

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I see the other side of the coin, too. Some of the restaurants I frequent (although not very many) charge less for the so-called low carb meal.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Makes me wonder why a reg. hamburger, with fries and drink is cheaper than thier Atkins meal.

Because low carb is the new trend and they know people will pay more if LC is slapped on the side. I compaired spaghetti sauces. The Ragu lite had the same number of calories as the "carb counting" one, but was over $2 cheaper a jar. They will charge what they know people will pay. Russle Stovers Sugar free candies have the same exact ingredients as the low carb ones, but are cheaper.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey ya'll-

You know what I hate even more than the price is when they tell you it's low carb and it's really not. Like when you get a wrap or some sort of salad and you think that the dressing is lo carb or the tortilla is lo carb and it's not. There are alot of hidden carbs even in the so called "lo carb" fare at restaurants. More so than they even say.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 17:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Because low carb is the new trend and they know people will pay more if LC is slapped on the side.

You're ABSOLUTELY right about this, LadyBelle! I warned two people today who were looking at the so-called Russel Stovers Low Carb Candy. They charge $2.58 a bag for them...but if you go to the candy isle, instead of the lc isle, you can get the RS Sugar Free candy (which is the same thing) for $1.50 a bag....THEY ARE CHARGING $1.08 MORE because it says LOW CARB on it. It makes me sick!!! And I think MANY companies are doing this. It isn't right and yes, as you can tell, I'm mad about it.