Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/350/285 Male 6'3
BF:Alot of it =)
Progress: 0%
Default Pain on my side. Atkins related?

Hey all,

The last few days I have noticed that my left side (Think its the Kidney area) has felt a little sore. I am just sitting here trying to think of what it could be and looking for some advice. I dont know if these things have anything to do with it but I will mention it just in case:

1: I have been drinking ALOT of water as of late like there just aint enough of it.

2: I have been taking my Calcimate and Potassium/Magnesium supplements, but havent taken the mega men vitamin from GNC for a week to week and a half.

3: The last 2 nights when I get home from work, I have had diet coke w/ Jack or diet coke w/ Captain Morgans.

I dont know, it may be possible I slept wrong too. But I just wanted to double check here with some of the Atkins experts to see if there is something I may not know about.

TIA for any/all of your suggestion/advice,

Mike

Last edited by Whiteice : Thu, Mar-18-04 at 11:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

=) you might just have to go potty hehe i have had that soreness my self and it went away once i was able to go number 2 =)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 12:10

Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

I had something similar a while back and thought it was my kidneys. I went to the doctor and everything came back normal. He then asked me about my exercise routine and he said like it sounded like a small muscle tear in my side. Gave me some muscle relaxers (woo hoo) and told me to take it easy on the workout for a few days and it went away. If you're working out quite strenuously it could be that but if it doesn't go away or gets worse, go see your doc.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

If you are worried about stones, I wouldn't too much. I'm prone to them myself and this diet had not caused any. Besides, if you had a stone the pain would be severe (not as bad as birth.....sorry guys, I know you thought you had something to compare...try passing one while pregnant).

I get a pain in that area myself, except my right side. It could be intestinal, it could be muscular. If it's closer to the ribs, it can also be a condition called costochondritis. It's an inflamation of the cartilage between the ribs and can be caused by over exercising an area (although I had one over my sternum inflame from just stretching my back). It can give a real sharp pain similar to a gas bubble, and when higher on your chest can mimic a heart attack....but it takes a couple of weeks to go away. Keep in mind that this diet as well as any drastic change to your body, can cause things like excessive gas and some intestinal trouble while your body sorts things out.

I would say if the problem persists, and you can't find another explanation for it, go to your doctor. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 12:37

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

There have been a few threads about this kind of pain. Do a search om the word "pain" and you'll get several different threads to look at. Maybe somone experienced the same kind of pain you are.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

It may be constipation, sometimes our bowels can flare up...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:16

Stats: 325/215/185 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem, actually just did a search here to see what others were saying. I just recently gave up diet pop and it's pushed me back down into ketosis and I've noticed fairly moderate pain in my lower back, near the sides, and down into the pelvis. It happens every time I go into induction or near-induction and lasts a few days at least, although this time the pain is a bit more severe.

Anyone have the answers?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/135/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I had some back pain off and on since starting Atkins. Three weeks ago I ended up in hospital with a huge kidney stone. I do not believe the diet caused the stones, but the diuretic effects of Atkins caused the stones to decide to vacate. Ouyghg! What pain!!!