Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/236/150 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Atkins: Sat. Fat v. other fat Questions

Anyone doing Atkins and a "low cholesterol" WOE? If so, please share some ideas, recipes, tips, etc.!

I've got to get my numbers down more, and my doctor likes this WOE, so I'm going to try to stick with it. How do you get your fat up without getting saturated fat up? I'm a little confused . . . what do you eat that won't be high in carbs?

Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:55

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Cooking with olive oil is a great way to get the good fats into your diet without the cholesterol. If you're trying to cut fat too, then there are olive oil nonstick sprays that would give a lighter coating.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:08

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Studies have shown that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol. Also, remember that only about half the fat in red meat is saturated. The other half is unsaturated.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:15

BF:

Yeah, I've been doing this for 3 months or so, and have lost 34lbs.

My cholesterol, now 249, WAS 287 last year, so it is getting better. That said, I have been eating butter, cheese, red meat 3x a week, cream, etc.

My doctor wants me to cut this stuff out (or down drastically). She supports the WOE, though, and is pleased with my weight loss and lowered heart rate (64 now; 96 last year) and BP (110/70 now; 120/90 last year).

She doesn't yet want to put me on medicine b/c she thinks getting the weight off and exercising more will help.

I'm really looking to see if others have successfully done this WOE and lowered Cholesterol, and if so, find out what to eat! Is it just chicken, fish, soy protein, olive oil, and veggies? Sigh. I love cheese .. . .

Sue
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:15

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I agree that the cholesterol in food isn't what causes high blood cholesterol in the context of a low carb diet because of the absence of hyperinsulinism. Dr. Atkins goes into detail on vitanutrients for those few patients that aren't getting a lower result simply from doing the WOE. Not sure what page it's on, but it's in DANDR and he also has a book just on the vitanutrients
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

do a search on here for cholesterol. You'll find many lower thier cholesterol, and while osme see a raise in total cholesterol thier ratio and triglycerides (sp) go down. There is more to look at then just the cholesterol number.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 09:29

BF:

Thanks, Ladybelle!

I'm going to go try searching.

The biggest problem I've had with Internet searches is that they all just suggest that ATkins WILL help lower cholesterol. And, I believe it does, since mine went down 28 points. BUT, my doctor wants me to really reduce saturated fat, and I'm just a little clueless about how to do that and 1) keep my fat % up to Atkins' suggested levels; 2) find good stuff to eat; and 3) actually eat enough calories (isn't that a trip??).

Sue
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 11:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Remember that some doctors have that lowfat mindset. Even if your blood lipids were perfect they would want you to drop the saturated fats.

If you read Protein Power, you will see a write-up on another hormone that I have never heard of until this woe. It is called glucagon and it "pushes" fats and cholesterol out of the body. It is produced by the pancreas, only, when insulin is normal. This is probably the reason many lcers cholesterol is lowered when we do this woe. With so many doctors having so many opinions it is good to be able to do our own research on things without relying 100% on one form of medical information.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I cook with lard, butter, coconut oil, peanut oil or olive oil. No soybean, canola or vegetable oil. I eat the skin on chicken and don't trim the fat off my meat. My cholesterol fell over 70 pts and triglycerides fell over 150.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 12:33
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

If your doctor suggests only reducing saturated fat, then try eating more white chicken, fish and tofu, cooked in olive oil.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I'd ignore your doctor, they know nothing about nutrition, except what the AHA tells them.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:56

BF:

Thanks for helpful suggestions, folks! I understand everyone's body is different, and some have had more success than I have with eating all the bacon, mayo, eggs, etc., they want. I DO want to improve my numbers and remain on this WOE with tasty food, so suggestions about recommended food changes/additions are welcome! :-)

And, contrary to what many may believe about their own doctors, I trust mine.
She's been right on the money with other things in the past, and she STRONGLY endorses the low carb, moderate protein, higher fat WOE. When I asked her point blank if I should reconsider this WOE, she said, "No way! It is working for you in most areas (weight, pulse, BP), and you've come too far! Stick with it. I'm proud of you."

She just thinks I should try to up my fiber, add some supplements like Chromium and extra Niacin and Calcium (my bloodwork showed I'm low in Bs and allergy tests show lactose issues), increase exercise from light to moderate 4-5 days a week, rather than 3, and decrease saturated fat (not all fat!) prior to medicating me.

And, I was just looking for some food/menu ideas and some other folks who may have had success with the above.

For those who wonder, I have been on this WOE for a long time (on and off for years, but faithfully for 3 months now with no breaks), and my doctor does want to try lowering sat fat--not all fat--b/c she's a firm believer in non-pill alternatives.

It is funny. So many who've responded are rather emotional. I didn't expect that. It seems some are even angry . . . and I don't know why . . . I'm just looking for help from the forum I turn to daily and hoping to make more positive, proactive changes in my life to eliminate multiple health risks (high cholesterol and obesity, for starters!) . . . I realize others may not believe in my doctor's ability or sensitivity--or in their own physician's--however, I hope my wanting to follow her advice and posting about my high cholesterol hasn't offended anyone.

Thanks!
Sue
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:04

BF:

She_Laughs,

Thank you for the suggestions!

I am having Thai tofu with sesame, mushrooms, broccoli, and asparagus for dinner!

And, my doctor and I spoke to clear things up a bit yesterday, and she endorsed chicken, fish, tofu (all soy), keto shakes, eggs (in moderation). She is very familiar with DANDR and supports this WOE, which is a relief!

She also said olive and canola would be better than butter, so I'm giving 'em a try. And, contrary to my belief, she said lean red meat and certain types of mayo (expeller cold-pressed and/or canola) would be OK, as long as I'm not eating 2-3 TBL a day of the regular stuff. In actuality, her suggestions were very moderate changes, considering I have lactose issues and can't eat cheese. The only things she suggested cutting out entirely--bacon, hot dogs, and cold cuts--are the very same things Dr. Atkins warns us away from! :-)

Anyhow, thanks. I know this WOE works!

Sue
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 18:03

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

for fiber, flax-o-meal hot cereal is great (1-2 carbs per serving, 13 g fiber, lots of health benefits too, and sooo delicious) Also, no saturated fat, i believe. Fiber's really important for lowering cholersterol-- minicarb has a granola with like 24 g fiber, i've never had it and its supposed to be high cal....but i really do recommend the flax-o-meal

I'm also lactose intolerance but can't even tolerate lactaid milk. I have had success with soy milk though. "Soy Slender" beverages are made with West soy unsweetened soy milk and have only 1 carb per serving. It's sweetened with sucralose (its sugar free), no saturated fat, lots of soy which is heart healthy!, and yummy-- vanilla, chocolate, and cappucino flavors, or the plain soy milk

for eggs, egg beaters is also an option...
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 18:39
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Researchers, as opposed to doctors have known for many years that dietary cholesterol had no effect on blood cholesterol. The Point Dr.Atkins made was that dietary fat, WHETHER SAT OR UNSAT, had little or no effect on blood cholesterol or triglycerides, while on a low-carbohydrate diet. Trans fats, on the other hand....Studies have shown that Butter is infinitely better for you than most margerines, with the exception of those made without Trans Fats (such as Smart Balance).

On another note, for an occasional change of taste, try Lentils. They have a light peppery flavor all their own, even without seasoning, quite a bit of fiber, and protein, and are a good source of folic acid. They're extremely low in fat, and were, purportedly, the "pulses" that Daniel and his friends reportedly maintained their health on, while the other young men in the Babylonian King's entourage got fat and groggy on the "king's meat" they had been eating (see Daniel 1:12-16). And they cook in less than 30 minutes without pre-soaking

Last edited by Azraelle : Sat, Mar-20-04 at 19:07.