Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/210/160 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default advice needed

Hi everyone

I'm not a new member really but I haven't really said much because I'm a bit shy and have just read and learned. I started at 295 and went down to 210 and felt fantastic. But have recently been on holiday to the Caneries and thought I'd worked hard enough to have a break from LC. Huge mistake, I piled weight on and I'm really struggling to get back to it and stop cheating. I start the day with good intentions and then by the end of the day temptations become to great and I cheat. I think I'm a real carb addict and have got myself hooked again!!! Can anyone recommend how best to deal with this as I can't stand the thought of putting all the weight back on.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:50
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 301/260/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I would suggest doing a very clean induction for two weeks to get rid of the carb cravings and kick start weight loss again. Good luck to you!

Edited to add: Congrats on your loss so far! You can do it!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:51

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

well congrats to you! you have done so well.

yes - you are probally a carb addict and from here maybe start.

when you feel like a carb snacking/cheat think - this is like a drug! I am breaking this addiction - it wants to get the claws back in to me.

Do this from this moment.

So you cheated, most people do. Just start again.

You can do it.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:26

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Dawnie, the great news is you know you have to get back on this WOL, the hard part is doing it. I can tell you from experience that it is one of the hardest things you will ever do.

I was on Atkin's about 3 years ago and lost almost 100 pounds, I let myself cheat once and it took me over 3 years to get back on track. One thing I can tell you for sure is that waiting will not make it easier and you may continue to gain. If you remember back to the way you felt on this WOE, I am sure you will recall that after the first 2-3 days, you finally had control over your appetite, which is something I never had until this WOE. I will tell you what I did to get back on track:

1. I filled my fridge with lc food, and threw out anything that would tempt me. Everyone in my house was on LC for the first 3 days til I got into ketosis and had control.

2. I pre-made handy lc snacks like lunch meat and cheese rolled together, I fried up chicken wings, pork chops, steak, cut cheese and bagged it in separate ziploc bags so it was at my disposal.

3. I told everyone in my household my plan and told them I really needed their support to get through the hardest time (first few days.)

4. I told myself when the cravings hit that I was not going to give in to them. I spoke out loud to them and must have looked crazy but it worked. Everytime I would get a craving, I would run to the fridge and grab some of the LC food I prepared in the baggies and a large glass of water and told myself, "Today is the only day I have to do this." The next day I told myself the same thing.

You CAN do this! You did it before and you CAN do it again. Get some pictures of the "old" you out (before you lost weight) and tape them up all over the house, especially on the fridge. Write notes and hang above the pics that say, "This is what I will look like again if I touch carbs today." Get positive, get motivated, come here for support. It will only get easier as the hours and days go by.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:32
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Everything meltin' said -- especially get rid of anything that is not LC. Congrats -- you've done it once and you can bring back that great feeling!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:31

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

Hey Dawnie, you've already got alot of great advice. The only thing to say. Is you've just got to buckle down, muster that willpower and do this for yourself. Remember the weight is just not worth that donut. Good Luck!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 290/289.4/160 Female 69
BF:42.2/42.2/?
Progress: 0%

Dawnie, It's hard. I know. If at all possible, get rid of all of the bad stuff in the house. When I convinced my husband to join me in low carbing, we went through everything. Cupboards, freezer, fridge, everything and packed it up and gave to family.
If this is not possible because of other family members, set aside space just for your things. "Your Cupboard" "Your shelf in the fridge" etc. and only go there for food and goodies. Keep legal snacks handy. Fried bacon, chicken wings (my personal favorite) hamburger patties, as well as SF jell-o, etc. Go easy on the cheese and processed foods. The cravings will end and you will feel better.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:13

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

It is very hard, but I think having a plan helps, and reading the book of whatever plan you're following helps too. They're generally really motivating

I was in a horrible cycle of making it til nighttime then just blowing the whole day, and I just felt so horrible all the time that I knew it was just time. Not sure if you're having symptoms, but it does help to really concentrate on those if you feel you want to stray.

How about if you decide to do induction for just one week? Keep a notebook of every bite you eat, and do it by the book. The weight loss from that is usually a big boost.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: ***/***/*** Female 62
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinaway
4. I told myself when the cravings hit that I was not going to give in to them. I spoke out loud to them and must have looked crazy but it worked. Everytime I would get a craving, I would run to the fridge and grab some of the LC food I prepared in the baggies and a large glass of water and told myself, "Today is the only day I have to do this." The next day I told myself the same thing.

I love this. It's just what I needed right now
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 03:18

Stats: 295/210/160 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 63%

Dear All

Thanks for all the advice and support it's really appreciated.
I'm pleased to say I made it through yesterday without cheating
I have a business lunch in a few hours and thought ahead and booked a resturant that I know serves a great mixed grill which is filling without having any extras, so I have the day sorted it will be test time tonight again. I went shopping with my hausband last night and bought a couple of blouses which looked really great and I could see the admiration in his face and that look is really helping to keep my will power in check.

Thanks for the tip on cheese, to be honest I think I ate too much yesterday and will be looking to avoid it today and try and stick to unprocessed meat and eggs as much as I can. I think I'm right in saying the closer I stick to basics the quicker my cravings will go. This is an addiction but I'm gonna beat it because I want to start waking up again without my first thought being for food. I want to eat to live again and not live to eat as I did before. My head is really in the right place today and you guys have helped me to focus my mind on the task ahead so hopefuly I'll have a cheat free weekend.

Many thanks to you
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 05:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

WELCOME Dawnie...you can do this!!! You have done it before, and you will do it now, it will just mean getting on board, and keeping to it...and don't forget to post!!! we are darn nice bunch around here!