Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:34

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Exclamation blue Reynold's wrap as a diet aid

I found this just by accident. I love blue food, anything dyed blue and, of course, blueberries and blue cheese. So when I came across blue Reynold's wrap I thought it would be pretty to see in the fridge. Well, over time I finally realized that whatever I wrapped in blue just wasn't very appetizing. My favorite foods all the sudden became quite resistable. So if you have food you want to eat with restraint, try wrapping it in blue. If you are like me, you can let it sit right in front of you and not be sent into a binge. But you still won't buy more since you already have it in the fridge!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yes, this is an interesting factoid which I've come across before. Apparently it has something to do with having learned through evolution that most foods are only blue when they are bad or spoiled or something like that. Now that I think of it isn't it true that the poison toads are usually the blue ones? Two ways to discourage other from having them for a low carb snack !
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 22:47

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

One time i read a story (true) about one of the film maker Alfred Hitchcock's dinner parties. He had all the food dyed blue. The guests were supposedly repulsed (as was hitchcock's hope) and didn't eat.
I think about that story every time i come across a blue food...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 22:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: ***/***/*** Female 62
BF:
Progress: 3%

wow. I'll go get some food coloring if this works
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 00:50

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

But I like bleu cheese and blueberries! And I've seen as many yellow or green molds as blue ones - but the bread molds (which happened the most to me) were usually blue I think.

Archie, do you mean poison dart frogs? They are blue, green, red, all kinds of neon colors. Come to think of it, many poisonous critters use RED as a signal to not be eaten.

I think it's because the wrap makes food look off in general, not necessarily the blue color. I wonder if red wrap would make things look wrong too?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 03:54
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Little piece of trivia......

blue is considered to be the least appetizing of all colors and is why they have a "blue plate special". They traditionally used a blue plate, and because of this people wouldn't eat as much (hence they could put less food on the plate and save money). Pretty smart psychology I think.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 07:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: ***/***/*** Female 62
BF:
Progress: 3%

I should invest in some blue plates too

it's so cool how our minds work.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:01

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Here is a quote off a color psychology page....

"While blue is one of the most popular colors it is one of the least appetizing. Blue food is rare in nature. Food researchers say that when humans searched for food, they learned to avoid toxic or spoiled objects, which were often blue, black, or purple. When food dyed blue is served to study subjects, they lose appetite.

Green, brown, and red are the most popular food colors. Red is often used in restaurant decorating schemes because it is an appetite stimulant."

Here is a link to the page...
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

This entry is from the bottom of the page "Food for Thought"
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:04

Plan: low carbs and low GI inde
Stats: 225/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?Don't Wanna Know!
Progress: 67%
Talking blue wrap

We live on a farm and process all of our own meat. I like how the reynold's wrap clings when packaging so I always use it. (I wrap in reynold's then freezer paper to keep meat fresher)

The first time I realized it was colored I didn't really think about it and bought it. I had purchased one pink, one blue, and one violet. Under orders from my hubby - no more colored wrap unless it's pink! He had a hard time eating opr cooking anything that came out of the blue or purple wrap. He said it just looked like it was rotten to him. When you took the wrap off it of course looked fine but by then his appetite was gone!

Good weight loss plan!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:38

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

That's so funny cause now that you mention it... I have bought the colored wrap for a long time. I hadn't really thought of it but I used to love leftover and since the colored wrap, I seem to wrap them and put them away until they go bad and it's time to toss them out.

Jenn
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:52
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

blue reynolds wrap and blue food, very interesting.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Archie you are so so right! That is the very reason that red is such a favorite color for the dining room! Also makes your skin look much nicer, which is why pink is a favorite for bathrooms for women. It makes us look rosier. (Ughhhh makes me think of a pepto bismal colored bathroom I saw while house shopping). Yellow stimulates the brain (hence yellow walled schools), blue is calming (favorite for bedrooms). Red is also stress causing and the reason many cities use the yellow-greenish fire trucks. The red ones caused more people to panic and sit still, while the green for some reason helped the people move out of the way. Did you also know that Chevron's sign colors were chosen during war time (the red white and blue were to drum up patriotic feelings to get people to shop there instead of their compettors. My psych professor was the one that chose them for Chevron). I got all sorts of stupid trivia like this....see all that psychology in college did something for me!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:00

Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Mmmm . . . brown chocolate.

Great thread!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think the green would be a turn off for me. With veggies it wouldn'tbe bad, but anytime I see it on other food all Ic an think of is mold.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 04:32
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Now I want to paint my kitchen cabinets blue, buy blue tupperware, heck why not get some blue tinted eye-glasses to wear at meal time!

I think we may be on to something here...

Liz