Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/235.8/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Why no low carb products on induction

This may be a really stupid question, and I apologize if it's been asked before. Why is it on so many labels of low carb products state they are not suitable for the induction phase. As long as we stay under 20 grams of carbs during the induction stage does it matter?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 20:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think it is because it is FAR better to eat real food from the Induction List for Induction.

The supposedly LC foods that substitute for the carby stuff we used to eat still have carbs. I think that the longer a person can stick to the foods on the Induction list, the better they will do. Get out of the habit of eating the carby stuff or a substitute and you will be more strongly changing your way of eating. REAL food is nearly always a better choice than any processed foods.

And the vegetables and other foods have valuable phytonutrients as well as vitamins and minerals.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Because it is teaching us a brand new way of life away from a lot of processed foods. We are learning to eat natural, high nutrient vegetables, and real meals with meat, etc. Our bodies have been so abused by low fat, low calorie everything, that they literally need to be comforted with real food for awhile. And it is amazing how quickly you will come to love these real veggies and natural products.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:23

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

And not only is eating natural foods the "right" thing to do, the thing that motivates a lot of us to eat the natural foods is, we've tried the products and have run into major problems-- induction or not. Many of the LC products out there tend to stall weight loss and/or bring back cravings. Many people would agree that these types of things are more suitable for maintenance in moderation than for the weight loss stages.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:08

Stats: 165/150/130 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress:

The are just soooo handy!!! I agree that they may stall weight-loss or slow it down. I am going to try to limit myself to one a day! I do home daycare so I rarely have time to sit and eat something "healthy" the bars and shakes are right there. I am going to pre-make a bunch of stuff while the kids are napping today!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:14
Registered Member

But you know you can do a lot of prep in the evenings or weekends as well. I typically broil a pile of chicken or a roast on a sunday, then slice, dice and put into baggies in the freezer. Same with eggs, veggies, celery, cucumber, romaine, cauliflower, if you chop up a pile and keep it in the fridge, it is always handy when the hunger hits, adn easy to turn into a meal.

Personally, that was part of my problem on low fat, low calorie diets, the convenience of the foods, powders, drinks etc, and I didn't know what "real" food truly tasted like until this program...once your body is accustomed again to good stuff, you wont' even want the shakes, etc..and this can be convenient too, it just takes some initial planning, then it will be automatic

ps...you sound busy - I give you a lot of kudos, a dayhome is hard work!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:32

BF:

But if you get into the habit you can make "healthy" foods accessible at the drop of a hat as well.

For instance: string cheese and pepperoni. It takes just as long to unwrap a string cheese than a bar! Do 3 and a half minutes of veggie chopping the day before and have a little sliced green pepper with it (which when all 3 are eaten together it tastes remarkably like pizza!).

If you can tolerate them and are past induction, sunflower seeds. They don't need to be refrigerated and I find when I eat just 1/4 cup serving as a snack (already shelled, which still does not seem like much but it's filling) they REALLY fill me up. A quarter cup is 3 effective carbs, 208 cals, 19g fat and 7 g protein. Pair that up with a string cheese too and you really have a very substantial mini-meal.

And lastly, my favorite and most convenient full meal (my at work lunch every day but you do need a fridge and microwave handy). Pre- washed bagged lettuce or spinach, grape or cherry tomatoes (no slicing required), cucumbers that I sliced ahead of time, a cooked chicken breast that I sliced a head of time, salad dressing and shredded cheese. Pop the chicken in the microwave for 1 minute and throw the rest of the ingredients together while it's heating up. This seriously takes me 2 and a half minutes and I have a healthy, hot meal-- love it! Instead of chicken you can do cold deli meat on the salad too.

I'm not an egg eater but a lot of us keep hard-boiled or deviled eggs in the fridge for snacks. There are just so many possibilities especially if you do have access to a fridge most of the time.

Not to mention, real food is MUCH CHEAPER!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresamay
I typically broil a pile of chicken or a roast on a Sunday, then slice, dice and put into baggies in the freezer. !
I do the baggie thing too. I think it's more psychological than anything but I find when I put my food in single serve individual baggies, it just seems so much more convenient and easy. No measuring or thinking required. One serving is already divided up, all you have to do is take it out of the baggie and enjoy.

Last edited by sunspine17 : Thu, Mar-18-04 at 09:19.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 05:12
Registered Member

Sunspine17, your salad sounds so good, I think I am going to try that for lunch!