Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:53

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Default Protein Shake Suggestions

I have seen some journals where people have had protein shakes. Since I am a very bad girl and never get up in time to eat a breakfast, I would think a good protein shake would be good for me and get my caloric intake up where it should be. Does anybody have suggestions on what the "good" shakes or powders to use would be and suggestions on how to make them. I do not want the carb count up too much, but would enjoy a yummy shake in the moring, oh, and preferably Chocolate, as I am a chocoholic..........
Thanks a bunch
Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 17:07

Plan: Carbo. addicts diet
Stats: 240/182/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default shakes

UMMMMMMMMMM ??

Ditto, need info !

Breakfast now is just coffee, maybe a slice of cheese,
bad huh !
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 19:55

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 145/95/95
BF:
Progress:

I personally like the atkins on the go shakes..... Or ketoshakes(powdered mix, nice and creamy!)! just don't go for the atkins powder(bad consistency)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 20:03

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%

I want more details about those shakes. What do you mix then with, water? I bought a protein shake mix and to be honest, it tasted like crap. I used it for a different diet and I ended up putting the powder in a large shot glass and taking it. That's how bad it was...

I would love to start drinking shakes, for extra calories, and for a quick breakfast fix. If you have any more info let me know.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 20:48

BF:
Progress:

The atkins ready to go shakes are pre-made and milk based not soy. They can be found anywhere really. i get mine ~ gnc and a store called vitamin world. they are about 1.20 to 1.99 a can. the flavors are chocolate , strawberry, and vanilla. They are really good for extra calories and carbs. They also have 2 to 3 grams fiber. Just shake em up then pour em over ice and they are yummy!

The keto-shakes can be found at 'nutrition world' stores, some gnc stores and just about any other health food store(i.e trader joes, etc) Or you can get them from websites such as carbsmart etc. They are a powdered mixture and come in about nine flavors some are french vanilla, straberry shortcake(my two faves) and chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, bananna cream pie, egg nogg, peaches and cream, orange cream and a couple others i think. These are also milk based. They are 11 two scoop servings per can and run from 15 to 20 dollers.

There are also carb solution shake mixes which i havn't tried but i have tried their bars and they are good. and i have heard the shake mixes are good also. The carb solution shake mix runs from 8 to 10 dollerz..

If you need any more info just ask. i frequent this board alot :-)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 21:38

You don't happen to know how many carbs are in them and if they're loaded with "hidden carbs"?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 21:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Best thing is to make your own shakes.

It can be easily make with zero or low-carb whey protein powder found in many health and nutrition stores.

You simple mix it with added water, ice and whipping cream, and add stevia or splenda to taste. To make it a chocolate shake, you either use chocolate flavoured whey protein powder, or better yet, use a non-flavoured version and add the appropriate flavour extracts.

Some recipes have been posted some while back, and can found using our forum search engine.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 06:49

BF:
Progress:

As far i know , shakes have no hidden carbs. its the bars that have them. The on the go shakes have maltodextrin (sp?) as a filler though , but so does splenda granualer.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 08:11

Default Thanks

Okay, thanks for all the help. I am kind of looking for a powder mix, or as one of the posts said above to mix my own, and mix in a blender with ice and whatever liquid you are supposed to use to mix it. I generally don't care for the ones that are already made in a can, only cause I am so picky about the taste. I will do a search for some protein shake recipes as you stated.
Thanks
Cindy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 10:23

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I use a product called SISU Whey Protein Isolate Powder.(vanilla or chocolate). But it is made in Canada. I'm sure there are lots of products similar to it. 1 serving has 114 calories, 24.6 grams protein, 3 grams fat, and 3 grams carbs. It is sweetened with sucralose. I don't use it all that often, maybe once or twice a week. I use whipping cream, a little water, sometimes a little cream cheese, a scoop of powder, and some ice cubes. It is very rich, and will up your calorie intake if you have a day that you need that. I am very often not hungry int he morning, so don't have breakfast until after 11. So then I may have a shake in the early afternoon to tide me over till later. Hope this helps.

Glenda
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 23:17

thanks everyone

Last edited by Erin4980 : Thu, Oct-18-01 at 23:32.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 08:13

Default Extra large size

I went to pick up the Chocolate protein whey and it was only sold at the store I went to in big 2 gallon jugs....way to much for me to try. Also, I asked them how the Atkins shake mix tasted like, they honestly told me "terrible", and it was buy one get one free, so I didn't want to be stuck with 2 big cannisters of it if it was that bad. Can anybody tell me if the Atkins shake mix tastes okay, and please be honest.
Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 10:14

Do you definitely want the Atkins brand? Do a search for hidden carbs, b/c I did it and got 5.59. I'm not sure if I did it right though, b/c I put it under a beverage and really it's a powdered mix...

I found that the Carbolite Egg Protein Shake Mix (3.86) and the Carbolite Soy Protein Shake Mix had under four (3.65), and the Keto Shake mix had 4.43.

I searched for old threads on good flavors and it really does vary. But some have said plain, vanilla, chocolate, and earlier in this one french vanilla, but there are all different brands.

I have not bought one yet, for the same reason (I don't want to be stuck with these canisters), but I think I'm going to get the Keto Shake Brand in Fr. Van (it does have sucralose) or the Universal Nutrition Dr's Diet Low Carb Smoothie in Vanilla (b/c I didn't see any types of sugar in the ingredients). Most of them have sucralose in them, including Atkins.

The only brand I do know is "Designer: America's #1 Protein" in Chocolate flavor, and it was not good. I bought it at GNC in the US and the person there said it was the best (I'm thinking I just got sold on an expensive product).

Let me know if you find a brand you like.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 19:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/169/165 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've tried a few different shakes, both powered and premixed

the first kind i tried were carb solutions vanilla premixed .. they were rather disgusting on their own, and then i discovered that i could put them in the blender and 'doctor them up' to suit my tastes, after that they were decent

after that, i got carbolite egg protein powder, chocolate flavor, and it was excellent .. unfortunately, the place that i got it [netrition] i just found out is no longer carrying the egg protein kind

more recently, i bought both vanilla and chocolate flavors of the atkins shake mix ... neither are all that great as a drink, and the vanilla is particularly bad; however, there was something on the side of the can that said to mix 1 scoop with 1/2 cup cream and a packet of sweetener and whip that up [easiest in a bowl], which is declicious with the chocolate, but again, not that great with the vanilla

i also, at some point, bought some of the coffee flavored carb solutions premixed drinks (saw them at walmart, figured i would try) .. they're a lot better than the vanilla, but i've found that putting them in the blender along with some cream, additional sweetener, ice, and a little bit of the chocolate atkins mix is much better than straight out of the can
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 19:28
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Keto shakes

I LOVE the CHOC Peanut butter Keto Shake. I get it for 15.95 here at a HEALTH store. I do put about a 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and one tablespoon of cream cheese in it. I put about a cup of ice, fill with water to 1 and 1/2 cups, put in cream and cheese and mix it up. It is almost TOO good. Actually I try not to resort to the shake thing, but when I need a sweet fix...this definitely fits the bill.

Lots of people really like the Banana Cream flavor too. I just bought peaches and cream and haven't tried it. I'm hoping it's good.

I think I'll try Wa'il's version though. GOsh, I'd love to have 0 carbs if possible.