Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 23:48
SillySassy&SoonSexy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/???/145 Female 5' 4
BF: 15%..I wish..haha
Progress: 55%
Default Migraines...has anyone noticed a difference since being on Atkins

Hello Everyone....

I was just wondering if anyone has notice a difference in the frequency and strength of their migraines...since being on this WOE...

I have had them for years and they were coming atleast once every 10 days....but since I have been on Atkins I have only had a few...and the ones that I have had were nothing compared to the ones from before...

I had a slight one tonight and went on the treadmill and it helped to reduce it...I am not sure if this diet has something to do with it....but it looks that way..

Anyone else seen any changes....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 00:22

Stats: 252/155/120 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I never had a problem with migrains but I did have problems with my stomach.I had to take tums every night.Since I've been on atkins I don't have to take them anymore.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 00:38

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

most migraines are caused by an allergic reaction or from stress
must of been something you were eating or your stress has been relieved
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 03:10

Plan: my own! (lcing)
Stats: 106/104/57 Female 5Ft nothng
BF:
Progress: 28%

I have had migraines from the age of 10years and as I got older I would get them about 4-5 a week and be in bed for hours, they would make me sick
couldn't do anything.... yet after while LCing I only get about 1 a month or maybe 1 every 3 months and they don't lay me out like they did... can still carry on with life! it's wonderful
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 04:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Prior to low carbing, I was also a migraine sufferer. Now, I very rarely get one
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 05:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

This has helped me sooo much! My migraines are not nearly as bad as before - and i attribute it entirely to my way of eating, there is no "junk" in my diet, and I honestly beleive the sugar and processed food before was triggering them.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 06:23

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi, I used to get migraines all the time. Even went for a MRI to rule out tumors, etc.. Was told that they were stress triggered.
Well, since lc have only had ONE. It was after exercising more than usual without any extra snacks before or after. By the time I got food into me, I couldnt see. About 5 minutes after starting to eat, I suddenly felt much better and the lights/prisms just went away.
All this time could it have been low blood sugar symptoms instead from eating high carb crap and then crashing???
I dont know which, but I am sure glad they are not a part of my regular life anymore. Love this WOL
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 06:55
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Janie, I suffeered from migrains every month at TOM.. It would last about 3 days. Since begining this WOL I have not had 1. It baffles my doctor that I didn't want a perscription anymore. TOM use to be a time of crying,hiding, vomiting etc.. Thank God for this woe.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 06:58

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I have a good friend who use to get them pretty regularly. Since going low carb, she says they are much less frequent and not nearly as bad as before.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:25

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Caffine, chocolate and oranges are notorious migrane triggers. None of those should be in our diets if we are doing Atkins correctly. So I agree, it could very well be a substance you were eating that trigegred your migranes and now you've omitted it from your diet.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:38

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Howdy,

I have absolutely noticed a difference. I used to get migraines (clusters) very frequently that would last for a long time. Now, not only do I get very few migraines, but when I do they do not last nearly as long. One of the very best unexpected benefits of this WOL.

Mark
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:41

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I just mentioned this to my DH who is a migraine sufferer... he is prone to SAD as well, which seem to affect the frequency, and it's been a horrid winter. However, he has not even had some much as a headache since he's been low-carbing.

Just another ailment that LC helps!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I too don't get them as often and they usually can be chased away with a couple of asprins now.
angie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:18
SillySassy&SoonSexy

Stats: 255/???/145 Female 5' 4
BF: 15%..I wish..haha
Progress: 55%

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone,

Thanks for commenting...it is funny how many people suffer froms migraines yet...it is unspoken...it is great to know that everyone is noticing a decrease in the frequency and especially the strength...as SZAR said...it is definately an unexpected BENEFIT of this WOL..

Take care and have a great day!!

#15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Migraines run in my family unfortunately, but just in us females. FYI: Migraines are not just bad headaches, they've quite different from a normal bad bad headache and can include temporary blind spots, nausea and vomiting, numbness in the extremeties. Mine came with all the above and I suffered greatly in my 20's from them. I remember it started when I was in the 6th grade. They seem to be hormonally triggered for me, with stress sometimes triggering them. Fortunately they've gotten far more infrequent and far less disabling as I've gotten older.

So I can't say as the diet has helped me. My sister has had a few since she's been on Atkins when she was under particularly bad stress, I'll ask her if they're better.

BTW: Recent brain scans revealed that migraines do damage the brain a bit. I saw something on CNN a few months ago and thought to myself "Phew! Glad I'm not getting those any more". So if you get them a lot you might want to explore ways to prevent them with your doctor. I think they found anti-epilepsy seizure drugs helped people not get migraines.