Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,protein power
Stats: 134/118/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default will we go overboard on lc products

Having tried some of the new lc products hitting the markets, it occurred to me that I could easily overeat these treats. Curious if anyone else is concerned that this woe will be sabotaged by all of these treats like the low fat diets were? ("If it's low fat I can eat all I want" mentality) I'm grateful for the products cause they make my life easier, however I think I will need to be vigilant about going overboard.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/218.5/155 Female 5'9"
BF:43%/38%/23%
Progress: 42%

I think some people can definitely go overboard on these LC treats. I know all can have is one once in a blue moon. The sugar alcohol affects my weightloss, not to mention gives me a belly ache if I eat to much. I think it may be a very bad thing for people that haven't read DANDR or some other low carb woe, because they think some of these products are good for them just because they say "LOW CARB". In moderation they probably won't affect people, but go overboard and then there's trouble...for me anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oh definitely, I bought candy and some very tasty crunchy snacks the other day. I am sure that I have eaten more than my allottment of carbs by eating those lc snacks. However, I am glad that they are available just for an ocasional treat. We still must learn to control our impulses.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

I agree. I am having to start exercising willpower again (the only thing I exercise, hee!) with these things because they are messing me up. I never really ate much low carb bread but the sweet treats are killing me. I'm trying to think of low carb pound cake and ice cream etc as treats I will be able to have in maintenance, but must stay away from until then.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Ok, think of it this way. Is it better to eat something full of sugar that is horrible for you, or something low-carb that may not be as healthy as "natural" foods, but definitely better than full sugar treats? I think this is the first time in a long time that low carb WOE has been validated by the health community and for the first time I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong or unhealthy. And I think that the food industry is just trying to tap into this new market. And I'm pretty grateful for that, before I had to search aisles for the lowest carb bbq sauce, or ketchup. Now there are brands specifically for low carbers. So we don't even buy the high sugar stuff anymore. For my kids that aren't on a "diet" they just don't need all that sugar. It might be more expensive, but I think it's better in the long run. We buy snacks like dried fruit and nuts, instead of candy bars. I'm glad to have the OPTION of buying low carb but definitely try to keep myself in check with all of the new goodies....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:23

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yes, we have to regard LC treats as treats. The thing I worry about, is people (uneducated about LCing) will buy these things, and try to cut back on their carbs (do a 1/2 Atkins), and see their cholesterol go up and complain LCing doesn't work at all.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I think some are good in emergencies, but this way of life is about learning to eat good, nutricious and whole foods on a regular basis- not just falling into the convenient "junk food" trap again - only with lowcarb this time instead of lowfat. I am not saying that they should never be eaten, just that it needs to be a once in awhile thing.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 09:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I had the best weight loss results when I only ate unmanufactured foods. When I started adding in the various low-carb manufactured products my weight loss slowed way down. Most of the low-carb products are much more calorie dense than the natural foods they are replacing in the diet.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 10:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know I have been getting bad abnout having too many LC products. I find that I just don't have as much time anymore (ok and lazyness is a factor) so it's nice to have soemthing to grab quick.

I have been having a bowl of Atkins cereal with carb count down milk most mornings. Today I was really bad and also had an LC wrap for lunch and tried a new LC mini cheesecake our bakery has
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:16

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

The one nice thing about their availability is just that - they are available.
However, it's more of a "band wagon" mind set - and manufacturers are catering to a perceived need, or just out for money.

I think diligence is necessary, as with anything else we put in our mouths - make sure that their LC claim is justified. Is it just lower than their "regular", or is it truly induction friendly?

There may be things that we could eat/indulge in when in pre-maintenance or maintenance that we could never put past our lips while in Induction or even the early stages of OWL.

If a person formulates their own plan without following the book, and incorporates all these products in their menu from day one, I would anticipate failure would not be far behind.

It's going to likely be as big an industry as the low fat craze of the past, given the manufacturers desire to make money.

However, given the fact that the best way to follow this plan is to eat whole, unprocessed foods, I personally feel these products are best left to occasional treats/indulgences, rather than an every day menu item. I don't want to fill up my pantry with just another grouping of processed foods, now that I have my body more accustomed to eating whole, unprocessed ones.

Convenience does not necessarily equal the best choice.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,protein power
Stats: 134/118/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

I think all of us agree that moderation is the key here! I agree that some will not understand the whole concept & overeat these "treats". Of course, the sugar alcohols will prevent overconsumption twice in a row!!! I just hate to see low carb get a bad rap cause people do eat a lot of low carb "junkfood" but I don't want the mfgs to stop making this stuff. Now I only hope that the labels are correct!!! Thanks for the input everyone!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i love the low carb treats and snacks! but i do think they are only for owl and/or maintenance. and only is moderation. sometimes, though, when my cravings are whacked out, i have to think that a low carb mint wafer bar has to be "better" for me than girl scout cookies or a milky way!