Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 19:57

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%

BawdyWench

Fitday (PC AND online) currently has 2 "different" options listed for flaxseeds in it's database. If you search for "flax", you will see them both listed:
  • Flax seeds (the one you are using which doesn't allow for tablespoons)
  • Seeds, flaxseed (I use this entry and it does have tablespoons)
Strangely enough, the second option isn't listed under the "Browse" menu (if it is, I can't find it) and the counts are all very high for the first listing - higher than the USDA data.

I will add this to my Fitday "Wishlist and Bug" list I have started on THIS THREAD.

Feel free to go to that post and submit any other ideas you may have. It will hopefully help to make the program better.

Hope this helps. BTW, flaxmeal SUX if you nuke it. Don't do that. Pour hot water over it instead.

JFF
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 01:57

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

I make mine with 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed... 3 tablespoons of vanilla whey protein isolate... 2/3 cup of water. Nuke it for 2 mins... add a dollop of cream, butter, SF syrup... yummmmm

Australian tablespoons are a bit bigger (20mls) than in the US (15 mls) so make them heaped.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 03:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Hey BW, about Doreen's comments regarding ALA stability... this article claims that the ALA in flax seed is stable to baking temperatures, but (a) it's from the Flax Seed Council, so I'm sure they only uncovered research that supports the use of baking with flax, and (b) it doesn't address microwaving. I'd love to hear Doreen's NSHO.
If memory serves, Udo Erasmus says something similar. It's because the inside of the baked good steams rather than comes in contact with direct heat and the temperature does not go above 180 F. It's the direct heat that's suppose to destroy the EFA's.

So, you're supposed to peel the muffin and eat the insides!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 05:26

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Geez! This post went from being ignored for several days to now spilling over to page 2!

I've had "it" for breakfast the past two days. I really like the flavor, but the consistency is the worst! I've never had a porridge/oatmeal/hot cereal that I had to CUT to get a spoonful!

Today I'll try it without nuking -- heating the water separately and pouring it over.

Thanks so much for all the ideas, and also for all the laughs!

#20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey! Glad I found this thread. I tried the Fauxtmeal (love that name) this weekend and I loved it! However, I found that the serving size didn't quite fill me up. Maybe it was because I was just extra hungry that day. Anyway, I took some to work today added an extra T of TVP and flax seed meal and it's now well past my usual lunch time and I'm not yet hungry! Also, I put some almond SF Torani syrup on it. I'm so hooked on that syrup now.

The consistency of Fauxtmeal reminded me a lot of oatmeal.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 17:34

BF:

I've had it now probably 5 out of the past 7 days. (As a reminder, I use 3 Tbsp ground seeds, 1/4 water, and 1/4 cup heavy cream, and then drizzle SF maple syrup over the top.)With the fat content, you'd think it would keep me going forever. About an hour or two after I eat it, I get ravenously hungry! The last couple times, though, instead of giving in and eating something, I stick it out and about 30 minutes after that the hunger goes away again. Weird.

The texture is much better when you don't nuke it, but rather heat the water/cream separately and then pour it over the top.

This morning I put a pat of butter on top, and then spooned some Brown Sugar Twin over the top. REALLY good. More like the oatmeal I used to have.

BTW, my dad taught me how to make and eat oatmeal. You make it nice and thick, and then put it into a straight-sided bowl, mushing it all up against one side (this makes the island). Then you pour milk in the part of the bowl without the oatmeal (this is the ocean). Then you make a big depression in the island and put a huge lump of butter in it so it melts. Then keep filling the depression with brown sugar until no more dissolves. This is the lava from the volcano.

OK, but as a kid I thought this was way cool!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 17:43

Great story!! LOL

At least your parents didn't tell you to stop "playing" with your food - like mine liked to do.

I think I will tell that story to my own kids (when I have some, of course)

Thanks. And I am glad you followed our advice to not nuke it. Much better that way.

JFF
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 17:51

BF:

I forgot to add that you must never let the ocean seep into the lava! You must eat all the lava, along with part of the land, first. Only after all the lava is gone can you eat the ocean and remaining land.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 01:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I had cereal come out that consistancy this morning. I know what I did different though. Normally I just add enough water to cook it, then add liquid after it's cooked. Today I put in too much water, so it was still snot like when it was done cooking.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

(I dont have time to read the whole thread so I appologize in advance if someone already pointed this out)

Actually your breakfast is just under 300 calories and 4 carbs, according to my calculations at least. 1 tablespoon whole flax seeds = 2 tablespoons ground; and each tablespoon has about 55 calories, 3.5 carbs and 1.5 grm fiber (2 ecc). So 3 tablespoons ground flax is just under 80 calories and 3 ecc. 1/4 cup cream is about 200 calories and 2 carbs.

As a side note, I just tried making ground grain/seed poridge for the first time. I used almond meal, sesame meal, wheat germ, and flax meal. I added a packet of splenda, a pat of butter, and a tablespoon heavy cream (plus some blueberries for the nutrients/flavor and carb countdown milk for the complete proteins... I like the idea of an adequate protein breakfast). All in all, I would say this meal is extremely filling for the relatively low calories (+/- 300). However mine had this bitter taste to it, I think from the sesame seeds. Next time I will replace sesame with walnuts and see how that works out .
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:05

BF:

I like your counts better, Woo, but I'm not sure about them. I use 3 Tbsp whole flaxseeds. I once measured before and after, and it was virtually identical. Same with coffee beans. When I measure out 5 scoops whole beans, it always comes out 5 scoops of ground beans.

I'll measure again tomorrow morning and see what I come up with (already had it this morning).

Whatever. It's good. I'm not too hung up over the numbers.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 11:11

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

uuummmmm, i am eating snot for breakfast....and it tasts gooood!!!

hehe. actually , i have the flax-0-meal hot cereal. but i couldn't help looking at my bowl and thinking of this thread and thinking....yea, it does look kinda snotty
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:13

Post Flax vs. Snot

This child:
  1. has snot on his face?
  2. has eaten too much flax cereal and is overflowing?
  3. has "let the ocean seep into the lava" and is melting from the inside-out?
You decide. But I still say FlaxOMeal is nothing like snot.

JFF
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:49

BF:

I'm laughing so hard, the tears are flowing down my cheeks!

#30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
However mine had this bitter taste to it, I think from the sesame seeds. Next time I will replace sesame with walnuts and see how that works out .

Mine had a bitter taste too, I think it is the flax seed because I used flax seed meal and TVP. :\ I was thinking about using Almond meal too! GMTA! I would love to get some seasame seeds, they are tasty little darlins'.