Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:04

Plan: atkins/now CAD
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yes/it/is
Progress: 18%
Default Constipation (a cautionary tale)

OK firstly I'd like to apologise in advance for any offense.
There has been much discussion from time to time about the big C. It has been a recurring problem for me since LCing, but I've been determined to stick it out and have tried a variety of cures. They have worked for a while and then it's come back. During this time I've developed H**roids, ( I know TMI, but it's relevant)
Last Saturday, I went for a 30k bike ride, about 2 hours later I felt as though I'd been kicked in the butt by a horse. The pain didn't go away, so off to the DR's yesterday. ( I know I shouldn't have waited a week, but I HATE going to the Dr's). So now I'm the proud owner of a clotted haem**roid (can't bring myself to write that word), and they're no D**MN joke, basically no sitting, walking, or bending without severe pain. So if you're having problems in the BM dept, please spend time and effort to overcome the problem.
I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Warning it gets grosser now:
Best thing I've found when things get really desperate are glycerine supps, especially if you put them in the freezer first. Most other things work from the other end, and that's no use when you've already developed a brick.
OK I'm going to post this, hope it doesn't offend people
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/224/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 9%

Feather, I'm so sorry you are having these problems. I sure hope you feel better soon. It sounds awful and uncomfortable. May you be back to normal in no time flat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 18:45
Registered Member

Stats: 332/308/180 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 16%

Flax seeds are your friend....nasty things that they are.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

You also might want to try aloe vera tablets. I had been constipated most of my life and when I developed a bladder disorder, I read that aloe vera might help me. Well it turns out, not only did it help my bladder pain, but I was the most regular I have ever been. And it's not an exlax type of effect, it's just real natural and normal. It will take a few days to start helping and you'll probably have to keep it up. I don't take them anymore cause lcing had an opposite effect on me. If you're interested they are pretty easy to find, and you can also use them on cuts and such....just like an aloe plant. They won't hurt you at all. They look like a vitamin e. You can find them at vitamin stores, but you can usually find them at grocery stores and at Walmart....and they're only around 2-3 dollars a bottle. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:16

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

metamucil capsules also work if you take them on a daily
basis. All the big fiber names are coming out with the capsule form and targeting low carb shoppers.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 22:06
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I can identify with many of your issues, Feather. I have changed my breakfast to oatmeal and bran and also take Metamucil at night and am now OK.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 22:25

Stats: 254/184/154 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Feather, I've had trouble with C too. I now take 5 Psyllium Husks capsules three times a day (with food and 8 oz. of water) and I'm regular. I get them at my health food store. Joyce
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 06:32

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Great advice....sorry you are in misery!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:49

Thanks everyone, I mostly just wanted too make sure that everyone realised how important it was to get it sorted. Didn't want anyone to end else to end up with a thromboid (clotted) haemarrhoid. I'm starting to realise that this is not the joke I used to think it was. Wish grandma was still alive, so I could say sorry for teasing her all those years ago
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

I don't usually have that problem, I have a spastic colon, so I have the other problem most of the time, but the last few weeks, I have noticed some trouble in that area. Of course, at first I was like "Yay, no diahreah!!" But now that you have brought this up, I will have to re-evaluate my yay'ness......(Is that even a word?)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 13:02

Stats: 250/-/- Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 22%

I hate that you are in pain.

I saw that someone mentioned flax seeds and I have to agree with them. Although I can only stand them in a pill form. My health food store carries them. They are magic pills in my opinion. You take one a day. I was constipated for a solid week before I found these suckers. Thank God for them. Good luck on the 'oids.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 07:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I dissolve a heaping tablespoon of psyllium in a glass of water first think every morning. I buy it at the GNC -- it's sold as colon cleanser. It works for me. I don't know why I need it, given the quantity of vegetables I am eating, but I seem to.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 09:27

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
I dissolve a heaping tablespoon of psyllium in a glass of water first think every morning. I buy it at the GNC -- it's sold as colon cleanser. It works for me. I don't know why I need it, given the quantity of vegetables I am eating, but I seem to.

I bought this stuff Liz but I absolutely can't drink it! I've taken the psyllium capsules but ran into trouble with them, apparently because I didn't drink enough water! Lately mother nature is working ok on her own for me, but I sympathize with Feather.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 11:22
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
I bought this stuff Liz but I absolutely can't drink it! I've taken the psyllium capsules but ran into trouble with them, apparently because I didn't drink enough water! Lately mother nature is working ok on her own for me, but I sympathize with Feather.

They have two kinds -- the powdered which dissolves more easily (comes in a tan container) and the stuff with coarser pieces (comes in a white container). I cannot drink the powdered. I bought it by mistake one time and had to throw it out. The coarser stuff in the white container doesn't bother me. I put it in a jar with a tight lid, fill it with cold water, and shake the jar up before drinking it.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 19:55

Trying to delete this post, because I managed to send it twice.

Last edited by feather : Sat, Mar-20-04 at 20:01.