Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

My fiance is very supportive of my weight loss, but sometimes he just doesn't think! He grabs a tub of raspberry ice cream and eats it right out of the carton beside me! And he'll say things like "I'm hungry, let's go to the chinese buffet".... duh, i can't eat that! But since I do most of the grocery shopping, he ends up eating a lot of my LC snacks and has lost about 10 lbs in the 4 months since I started just by decreasing his carbs a bit. Still can't get him to give up his potatoes though; it's the bain of his existence.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 10:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

My DH suggested I restart this woe after initial success a couple of years ago (prior to our six month cycling trip, where carbs were a must for us). We have a pact that he would never let me get over a certain weight and sure enough after I packed it on when my folks visited, he got me to restart and is very supportive. He doesnt do it himself but is pretty slim and healthy and we share a lot of our meals, he just adds in spuds or rice if he feels it is necessary....the best thing is that now I am in control of my eating and weight and dont need him to look out for me!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 13:36

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Wow...it has been awhile since I have posted on here. As for the support of my husband...he is great. My 2 sons, our daughter, my husband and myself are all on the low carb WOE. What is really funny is our 3rd son who gets frustrated because he is NOT participating because he is at his ideal weight. He complains because I don't "buy junk food, bake cakes or other stuff." He is not mean about it, but I find it funny because most people get frustrated because the family members ARE bringing junk into the house!

It gets easier everyday as there are more products on the market that are low carbing....good luck everyone!!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 15:14

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Elsah - I've read that its pretty common for spouses to feel a little threatened or insecure when their significant other loses weight. So they try to tempt them to go off of their eating plan. Could that be going on with your hubbie?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:06
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Well if its any supportive of me, my teens will come home with a bag of goodies, most being my x-favorites and wave them under my nose saying "Try on, Mom, they are nummy!" I must have thrown aways 20-50 dollars worth of junk a week. My roomate clames to be low carbing but I see empty containers of obvious carb choices and he buys tons of sugar free candy and eats it in front of me and says "Oh I'm sorry I forgot you can't eat these.." (I'm hyper sensitive to sugar alchohols) I would love a person in my life who was supportive. I'm so lucky to have my friends here online
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:27

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

supportive bf ? hmm, mine cooked fresh bread today (italian focaccia with lots of herbs and garlic), he cooks Sunday Roast and then smothers it in Gravy (the instant type with lots of modified starch...), when I come home from work, hungr and tired, he will have cooked food for him and my daughter (pasta, risotto, etc), but not for me...... My daughter insits I try her sweets by waving them in my face ("oh, I forgot. you are weird, you don't eat sweets" ), but then she is only 8....

So you are not the only one with an unsupportive family. I don't actually mind too much. I rather cook my own food anyway. At least I can be sure what is in it and not the BF thinking one spoon of flour wont hurt....And it really makes it easier for me to stay away from temptation outside the house. I am so used to not eating what is there (no matter how hungry), that I am not even noticing it anymore. Today I was here alone, didn't have breakfast (Sunday morning is always a bit of a rush here) and by 2pm I was starving. Opened the fridge. Contents: Milky Bar Puddings, Spanish Aioli, Cheese and 1 egg. In the Cupboard: Smarties, Rolos, other sweets, crisps. On the counter freshly baked bread....

I had a very quick thought regarding how easy it would be to have a slice of bread with cheese now or a packet of crisps ( I don't actually like sweets). Then I grabbed the car key and went shopping. What keeps me going, is the way my Jeans fit now. I am wearing a pair of jeans, which didn't fit at all at the end of January, I could just about do up 2 weeks ago and which sit comfortably now (ok, they are stretch jeans, but never mind....). Just the thought of them falling off me.....Bread has no chance.....
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

So when is your baby due? Maybe he thinks you need to eat for 2? wrong but thinking of you

He should see you are eating a healthy rounding diet for your self-do you include dairy in your vegetarian list-is he vegetarian also. Cookies and donuts are not a food group anyone needs-make a homemade lc cheesecake to share with him.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:57

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot

My hubby started this with me a couple weeks ago and really only had about 30 lbs to lose. Well he cheats and eats a lot of the higher carb low carb stuff and it doesn't affect him at all. The weight is just falling off - I try not to get discouraged because it is going so well for him just wish the same for me. I figure because it's his first time doing it!! But he is very supportive, and loves helping me cook new recipes now and likes to try the lc products.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:10
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Here's a different spin on the spouse issue. I lost almost 30 pounds with Atkins a few years ago, and while my husband was thrilled with my weight loss, he wasn't supportive in the least. After I gained it all back (never made it a WOL), he was always bribing me to lose weight. He finally convinced me to do WW (again), which I did in January. I almost started to death, followed my precious points, and lost 2.4 pounds in 2 months! I think that was the first time he actually BECAME a part of my weight loss. He finally said you need to go back to what works, so here I am! He's being very supportive this time and lets me pick the restaurants, etc. He said if it bothers you, don't bring it in the house! What a switch!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:30

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

BEV - Baby is due mid september. As for hubby we couldn't be more different with what we eat. I have actually watched him devour a 5 pound bag of candybars/halloween treats in an evening. His ideal meal would be fried breaded chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing and boxed mac and cheese. Yes, all in one meal. IF it's not fried or slathered in some kind of cream/cheese sauce he doesn't want it. He doesn't like beans, tomatoes, or anything remotely green. He grew up on macdonalds and frozen dinners and eating whatever junkfood his heart desired. Unfortunaly it didn't all land on his backside like it did me. ;(

I on the other hand grew up in a house where tofu and seaweed/miso soup were common. We had two acres of garden vegetables and apple trees in our yard. My favorite dessert growing up was actually chocolate tofu pie LOL ( he said that is just sick that any parent would give that to a child ) I never had bread from a store my mom always made bread (as a child I thought this was a curse. I wanted white sliced bread like the other kids hehe...) My parents did eat meat but it was not a main corse at our house, vegetables were. We weren't allowed sweets or sugary drinks either. My whole family was always very thin until we grew up and turned to all the forbidden foods we were never allowed to eat.

It's been a real challenge learning to cook for my family. 3 of us are primarily vegetarian only eating the occasional fish. One is vegan because of severe dairy allergies. My husband is a hardcore meat eater but also the junkfood king. HE would rather have a canned veggie than a fresh one any day of the week. My daughter is right in the middle. She loves healthy foods and vegetables and eats meat. Needless to say it's been an adventure. I do try to include cheese and dairy into my menu but I can't say that I love it. Feta cheese would be the one exception which I adore but with being pregnant I have had to temporarily drop it from the menu

I do thank all of you for your replies to my thread. I was feeling so frustraited that day. It did however make me feel even worse to see that I don't have the average spousal support. Actually I was shocked. I really thought what I was going through was normal. At least I am finding some people on the boards to be my support team.

Jenn
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:35

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28

My DH is the reason we're on this WOE. Even after a year of lipitor, his cholesterol was way too high, even though he's very slender and fit. So his doctor recommended low-carb. I said I'd do it, too, of course.
During the first week of induction, he wanted to quit, he missed his bread so much. I told him that I considered this my new WOE, and if he wanted to eat otherwise, he'd have to do it without my support. And he said "Why?" And I said "Because I want to be thin again!"
And that was that. We completely support each other, and cheer each other on.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 20:21

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm pretty lucky. My DH has been sooooo good through this! He doesn't need to do any diet or exercise - he's got one of those metabolisms we'd all LOVE to have! And he can eat anything without gaining an OUNCE! Needless to say, my DH has been so supportive. He eats what I make, and if he wants something like ice cream or Girl Scout Cookies he is kind enough to ask if it's ok if I eat in front of him! He's never said anything like "c'mon one bite wont hurt." And he always asks me if I've had enough carbs and how much did I weight in at today... Like I said - I'm pretty lucky!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 21:21

Stats: 155/128/125 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 90%

MY husband is quite infuriating. He has irritable bowel syndrome, and has quite a few food intolerances as well, so also has odd dietary needs. When I went on Atkins, he also reduced the amount of sugars he ate, because they weren't around, and also ate smaller amounts of carbs (we didn't cook pasta dishes, eat pizzas etc at home), and he lost weight, even though he's not overweight!

I have two boys, who are both underweight, one is in the normal range, the other is 11 and weighs only 26kg! I have to try to keep the 11yo eating, but healthily, as I don't want him getting into bad eating habits for later on in life, as he may end up like me, with a tendancy to diabetes (it's in the family).

The boys are great - checking that I am eating correctly, and double checking that I'm allowed to eat what I'm eating (sometimes I wish they wouldn't, as I get sick of the questions).
Because of the intolerances, and the boy's fussy eating habits, we're used to all of us having a slightly different version of dinner. It's good though, as we can tell who's plate's whose. I'm the one without grains, my husband without peas, one boy without mushies, zucchini, and the other with hardly anything at all (how else does one stay 26kg? but the more I put on his plate, the less he eats)

I've been doing this for 16 months now, so I can see them all eating appropriate foods without any problem at all. Hooray! I don't have any pre-diabetes symptoms either.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 06:18

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Congrats on no pre-diabetes syndrome. As for the dinners I can soooooo identify. Sounds a lot like my house. My middle child (the sensitive son) Is always trying to read carbs for me on every box of food. He is very cautious about everything by nature. He always asked what was in something before he would eat it etc. Which is good since he is the one with the diary allergies. He is underweight as well. Very tall for 8 and barely hitting 50lbs. Well at least I can say if nothing else... all the fussy eating habits stretch your creativity in the kitchen. Best of luck to you!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 12:13

Stats: 237/192/150 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

My husband has been very supportive. He does not do the LC thing, even though he is type 1 diabetic. He's always been thin and has always eaten whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

So far, no complaints about the LC cooking. In fact, I have to make double the bacon so that I can actually get some! We went to Village Inn the other day for breakfast and he ordered off the LC menu! (Eggs, bacon, ham, sausage...he was in heaven!) Of course, he was the only one to order his LC with a side of white toast and a glass of OJ!!

I still buy him the bread and snacks that he likes but it does not bother me. With my blood sugar in check I don't crave them at all.