Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:04

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I noticed that you're from BC - where?? If you have a Choices near you (or can get across the border) why not try the Genisoy chips instead?? They're like the Quaker mini rice cakes and have all the same flavours. My favourite is Salt n' vinegar and I've had them a few times. Down in the US is much cheaper, but if it's a once-a-month thing...why not?? I found them at Fred Meyer in Bellingham, $2.29 US per bag (vs. $5+ CAD at Choices in Vancouver).

Nicole
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:10

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Now that you mention it.. that is kinda a long cook time. I got out my recipe and checked. I cook my roasted veggies at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes minutes depending on how crowded the pan is. You should Turn them every ten to 15 minutes.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:26
I'm Losin' It

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%

Popcorn is about the only thing I miss: most evenings I would have a whole bag of Orville R's Butter popcorn. The first few evenings of induction were hard but I resisted & really don't miss it now (unless I smell it somewhere)
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:27
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
The 60 minutes at 450°F sounds awfully long. Would anythiing be left except for black pieces of cauliflower?

I roast cauliflower in a similar way all the time. I usually do 35-45 on 400-425

at 60 minutes unless there was a whole lotta oil there they would probably turn black and fall apart. They would be very crunchy though and maybe airy so more popcorn like, but my guess is black.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Dang -- this roasted "Cauliflower Popcorn" thing is making me sorry that I used up the head of cauliflower that used to be in the fridge to make the "Faux Twice Baked Potatoes" Well, not really -- I love that recipe.

I'm scared even to smell popcorn, though. I haven't worked up the courage to go to a movie in an actual theatre since I started Atkins.

It's been good news for Blockbuster, though...
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:47
blah

Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Nikkil

I'm from Dawson Creek....

Neen
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 07:38

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakookoo
Dang -- this roasted "Cauliflower Popcorn" thing is making me sorry that I used up the head of cauliflower that used to be in the fridge to make the "Faux Twice Baked Potatoes" Well, not really -- I love that recipe.

I'm scared even to smell popcorn, though. I haven't worked up the courage to go to a movie in an actual theatre since I started Atkins.

It's been good news for Blockbuster, though...

I love the "Faux Twice Baked Potatoes" too. Very Yummy

I have been to the movies a couple of time since lcing. The smell does bring back some delicious memories, but I force that memory from my mind and I open my snack baggie full on macadamia nuts from home, It helps supress the urge to grab the nearest box of popcorn and chow down.

I thought it sounded like a long time at a high temp, The recipie in the recipe section had that question posed. The replies said it was correct. I plan to watch and turn often.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 09:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

This was a very interesting thread. Learn somthing new every day. Thanks everyone.
Angel
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 10:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

ok I can agree that cauliflwoer is an amazing veggie that can be used as a substatute for a variety of things. I just can't imagine getting the same nice texture popcorn has from cauli though. I could get a little crunch, and maybe the buttery salty taste, but still...

Someone try that and give us a review
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 11:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

I find that popcorn, when I am not the one eating it, smells like farts now! Every nite when I go to work, there is one woman who nukes some popcorn and eats the bag before she starts working! I keep asking myself HOW IN THE WORLD can she eat that nite after nite? It actually annoys me in a way...........
I have gone to 1 movie since I started this WOE, I had to eat the popcorn, I can't help it, I just can't stand the smell otherwise!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 12:34

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I had a hard time going to the movies without popcorn, too! I either cheated or avoided going. One time I had a planned cheat and got a small popcorn with loads of butter and a diet pepsi. I'm sure the guy at the counter looked at my fat a$$ and, no idea about LC, thought "you should skip the butter, girlfriend!"

The last movie I went to I went with Jeanyyy (from the forum) and we brought Atkins treats, huge bottles of water and she brought MINI MEATBALLS wrapped in foil So, we got to pig out at the movies and it was all LEGAL! We only ate during the previews, actually, since we went to see The Passion of the Christ and there's no way we ate anything else during the rest of the movie.

A lot of people bring sunflower seeds, a measured amount of nuts... you can do it! Or, just bring water and keep guzzling and enjoy the movie!

We had a nurse at work who's office was right behind mine and we worked night shift together. Every morning at about 6 a.m. she'd pop some microwave popcorn--what a stink The poor patients who were coming in for surgery and had been fasting....

I'm going to try that popcorn soon! I'll come back and post my 'review', if anybody wants to read it

Nicole
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:11
Registered Member

Stats: 160/156/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Neen. I'm from BC too. Just South of prince george. Your PMS cure sounds exactly like mine! It usually works for me too. Occasionally i have to throw in some BBQ peanuts too. I love the Ross chocolate bars but I'm glad they have side effects. Otherwise I'd eat to many of them during TOM.