Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:26
blah

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default microwave popcorn and Tom

I learned a few ways to beat the tom cravings. First I start with a ross chocolate bar. If that doesn't work I move onto 3 cups microwave popcorn dripping with butter. Still craving, I make hot chocolate with real cocoa, splenda boiling water and heavy cream. By this point I am so full and the grease from the popcorn isn't mixing so well with the boiling water from the cocoa and the malitol is giving me the trots. But the good news is I have found that I have not entirely blown the previous monthes hard work.

Neen

3 cups microwave popcorn =17 grams of carbs -3 grams for fibre =14 net grams.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't really get cravings any longer, but popcorn was probably the hardest thing for me to give up. I used to LOVE popcorn! I'd snack on the lowfat kind every night just about.

Funny, I never even thought about it until I smelled someone popping it at work and then I thought "yuck, that smells horrible".
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:11

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I always thought that popcorn was forbidden, but then again, maybe I'm looking at the wrong kind. I must admit I have missed it! The whole combination could only be a TOM cure-all!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:31

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

I know that one serving of microwave popcorn does have 15gm or so of carbs. Since I am on maintnance I will grab a handful when my kids have it. I have also
been known to sneak a potato chip or two these days,
but never more than a couple. per chip I think its
1 or 2 gm of carbs.

sandy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:31
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The problem is, that although 14g doesn't seem like a lot, popcorn is relatively high-glycemic as far as treats go... even though the butter might slow the rate of absorption, it's still really not well suited for the early stages of Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:22
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Popcorn is about 3 net carbs per cup, popped, so as cheats go it's not the worst thing in the world. Certainly better than popping a giant box of Jr. Mints or a king-size Snickers. Like potatofree said, though, it is pretty high on the GI scale, which is why it's not considered an Atkins-friendly food.

That said, I have been known to grab a handful from a friend at the movies. Be careful, though, as 1 cup of popped popcorn is NOT much at all. You could easily eat 10 cups before you realized it was gone.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:28

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I think you're right. One cup is pretty small, in the grand popcorn scale, and once you start it is darn hard to stop at just one cup..or two...or three!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:29
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Popcorn is not a problem food for me, but ooooohhhh, potato chips! I did something really weird about that one, as far as my kids go. I started buying the baked chips (all different kinds) to put in their lunches. They absolutely love them, and those things don't tempt me in the least! Ha!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:29

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

There is a recipe out on the recipe section on this forum. It is for cauliflower popcorn. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth a try. I plan to try it this coming weekend.

Cauliflower Popcorn

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
3 Tbsp. (45mL) olive oil
2 Tbsp. (30mL) Mrs. Dash® Table Blend
Serves: 8
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 55 min to 1 hr

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C).

2. Cut out and discard cauliflower core and thick stems. Trim remaining cauliflower into florets the size of popcorn.

3. Toss thoroughly in a bowl with olive oil and Mrs. Dash® Table Blend.

4. Spread cauliflower on a sheet pan and roast for approximately 60 minutes, or until nicely browned (that's the carmelization process converting the dormant natural sugars into sweetness).

5. Turn three or four times during roasting. The browner the florets, the sweeter they will taste. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Actual Serving Size: 3.8 Oz (110.0g)

Calories: 71
Sodium: 32 mg
Total Fat: 5 g
Potassium: 318 mg
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 5 g
Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
Fiber: 3 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Protein: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:53
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Cauliflower popcorn...what will they think of next! Someone let me know if you actually try this. I'm sure it tastes nothing like popcorn, but might be interesting in its own way.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:15

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I haven't tried this particular recipe but I make roasted veggies quite often. I usually use Cauliflower, broccoli, onions, sliced garlic, chickpeas, zuchini, sweet potato and indian type spices(curry, cumin, etc but thats just a preference of mine). Toss with olive oil and roast in the oven pretty much like the other recipe indicated. It's excellent topped with sour cream and tucked into a LC torilla.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:50

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Popcorn is actually pretty decent Carb-wise. As for Glycemic Index:

Code:
Glycemic Index Microwave Popcorn (1.5 cups): 55 - 89 Whole Wheat Bread (1 slice): 52 - 78 White Bread (1 slice): 69 - 80 (Wonder Bread = 73) Glycemic Load Microwave Popcorn (1.5 cups): 3.5 - 5.7 Whole Wheat Bread (1 slice): 5.9 - 8.9 White Bread (1 slice): 9.3 - 9.8 (Wonder Bread = 9.8*) Net Carbs Popcorn (1.5 cups): 7g Whole Wheat Bread (1 slice): 11g White Bread (1 slice): 13g

*I calculated Wonder Bread using its GI and the Carb Count for a slice of standard slice of White Bread.

Clearly, Popcorn is superior across the board to Whole Wheat Bread. Its lower in Carbs, about the same GI, and lower GL. Since, both Bread and Popcorn need something to make them taste good [as they generally don't on their own,] whatever you add will effect these numbers. Topping (Butter, Oil, and Peanut Butter) will usually lower the GI and GL. The GI Database doesn't have any information on mixing Popcorn with other foods, BUT:

Code:
White Bread Taken with -- 200mg Acarbose Alpha-Amylase Inhibitor: 18 200mg Acarbose Alpha-Glucosidase Inhibitor: 50 6mg Trestatin Alpha-Amylase Inhibitor: 29 3mg Trestatin Alpha-Amylase Inhibitor: 48 ---------------------------------------------------- Butter, Yogurt, and a Pickle: 39 15g Psyllium Fiber: 41 - 65* Vinegar: 45 Powdered Seaweed: 48 Butter, Cheese, Whole Milk, and a Cucumber: 55 Skim Milk Cheese: 55 Butter: 59 Butter + Skim Milk Cheese: 62 Peanut Butter (Part Whole Wheat): 67 NOTHING: 69 - 80

*That 65 was one study, so it may have been in error. Especially, considering the rest of the numbers were pretty much all lower
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:56

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I find that bbq pork rinds are a good crunchy snack when I have the munchies - tom or not. I haven't even considered looking at popcorn since lc...but I do suppose that it is much better than some other things you might be tempted to munch on.
  #14   ^

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The 60 minutes at 450°F sounds awfully long. Would anythiing be left except for black pieces of cauliflower?
  #15   ^

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

BTW, almost forgot to mention...Microwave Popcorn should be avoided because it almost always contains Partially Hydrogenated Oils. I've seen Microwave Popcorn made with Palm Oil at the Health Food Store. But, I pop my own using Coconut Oil and then drizzle it with Butter. REALLY Delicious and filling...The last part suprised me, becuase I used to be able to [before Atkins] down the largest size of Theatre Popcorn, along with the largest size of Cola, and still be hungry for a meal afterwards. I'm guessing the Sugar in the Cola was probably the problem. Either that or the Hydrogenated Oils don't satiate as well as the Saturated Fat in Coconut Oil.