Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 05:17
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default To break a stall, FatFast or Induction

again?
I'm sick and tired of my seven-week stall.
Last summer, I did the FatFast for three days to trigger myself out of a stall.
Which is better, FatFast or Induction?
I suspect most of the problem is water retention due to some health issues and taking Advil for arthritis but I have also started having 4-5 hard candies a day with sugar alcohols for my dry mouth due to a new medication I've been on. I'm going to dump the hard candies, of course, but otherwise see few places to make any subtle changes.
Any suggestions which approach would be better...i.e. work better or faster?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 05:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have not had the displeasure of stalling yet (knock on wood) but from what I have learned from friends who have successfully reached their goal weight on Atkin's, the fat fast is probably better for stalls. I have also read on this board that Oil of Oregano is also good for breaking stalls as well as green tea.

Hope this helps and I wish you a HUGE whoosh!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 05:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

i would do induction, good luck
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 06:39

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I did the fat fast once and lost seven pounds that promptly came back the next week. I think it was all water loss. However, in some ways it helped as I was finally able to see a lower number on the scale! I did go on to lose weight after that so maybe the fat fast did help.

I have never gone back on induction and many people swear that is the way to go. Sure couldn't hurt.

If it was me, I would try the L-Carnitine and oil of oregeno. There are just so many cases where this has really helped stallers out.

One of the things that helps me is to intervene into the monotony of what you are eating if that is an issue. For instance, if you eat a lot of tuna and chicken try eating beef and shellfish. Add some new vegetables and cut out some of the ones that you usually eat. Add some new foods and leave out some old standbys. This works great for me. For some reason, our bodies seem to get real used to what we eat and shaking that up a bit seems to help. Recently, I was stalled for 10 days so I ate a whole grapefruit and some sunflower seeds for my daily carbs instead of my usual veggies. I was down a pound the next morning. So challenge your body and really focus on getting some new foods in.

Good Luck
Orchid
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:20

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mayonnaise helped me get off my stall. I usually eat tuna or chicken salad for lunch with mayo and I also mix mayo with a little bit of ketchup and dip everything in it - hamburger patties, steak, chicken, anything. I find I have the best losing days if I keep the mayo flowing.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:49
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

You're going to get as many opinions as there are people.

Personally, I would do induction rather than the fat fast. I'm currently re-starting induction and am pleased with the results. I find, however, that I do have to be mindful of my calories in order to continue losing. I was expecting to be able to lose on the same amount of food as the first time...oops! I'm smaller, therefore need fewer calories than before.

Frankly, I think that's the big reason the fat fast seems to work. Not only higher fat percentage, but lower calories as well.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:05
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default thanks for ideas

figured the Oil of Oregano cannot hurt so I ran out and bought a bottle and quickly popped a capsule in my mouth as I drove home.
Now, I have this lovely 'pizza' burp breath..........really, since I love oregano as a spice, I don't mind it a bit.
The stuff I bought is Oregano Extract (1.75% volatile oils) and on the back it says each capsule has 450 mg of extract in it.
Will that do the trick?

Last edited by lasert : Mon, Mar-15-04 at 09:53.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:21

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

In my opinion Stillmans is the stall breaker par excellence. Have a look at my journal. I've just lost 6.2 pounds on Stillmans in 6 days. Not an easy diet to follow but more bearable than the fat fast I think.

It's basically low fat, low carb. You eat lean meat, fish and eggs and that's all.