Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 13:53

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%
Default Spouses and Atkins

I was just wondering does your spouse do atkins, are they supportive or do they constantly tempt you to eat things you can't eat? I skipped breakfast this morning ( I know bad thing to do) but I was in a hurry to get to the bank and go grocery shopping so I could get on with my day. My husband who doesn't do atkins picked up a bag of strawberry cheesecake cookies. He opened the in the parking lot (in front of his hungry pregnant wife OMG the nerve!) and for 15 minutes on the ride home I had to listed to oh my god, these are sooooooooo good. You need to try one. Come on just take a bite. Eat one it's not going to kill you. It went on and on and on and on. Does anyone else deal with this stuff? I mean I started a journal with what I eat listed every day just so the fear of someone seeing me completely screw up will make me think twice about a cheat. I am actually sitting here right now 'chattering' to a grey screen just cause I really want to go grab his bag of cookies and finish them off. Anyways, just wondered if anyone has figured out a way to deal with these temptations.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 14:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

i think you need to get divorced, LOL...j/k

my wife (we are seperated now) had me cook 2 meals one for me one for her..and i used to snitch all the time. i finally found the will power to not do it. it's hard i know but as time goes by it gets easier...also maybe you should goto the recipe section and look up some legal stuff you can make that you can snack when you get tempted...like the LC PB cups..they r great!
good luck! if all else fails i could always come have a talk with your DH *jon cracks knuckles*

Jon
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

My spouse does not LC, but neither does he bring things into the house or try to tempt me in any way! He once in awhile asks if I'd like a piece of toast or something, but I think half the time its because he forgets, not that he's intentionally trying to be mean! The kids are really good too. If they have something forbidden, they usually keep it in their rooms til its all eaten up!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:47
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

I had to sit my DH down and tell him I needed his support. He got sorta defensive and I told him this is about me not him and if he didn't want to go lc that was fine but stop with the high carb stuff I usually have to remind him every couple of weeks and he continues to eat fast food, etc. I rarely talk about lc'ing with him because it just isn't worth it. However he is slowly taking interest. Good luck and talk to your dh during a time when your not cooking or eating. Or we can always send Jon over to straighten him out.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:01
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I told my DH in November, I'm starting Atkins today what do you think. He said, I heard that works, good for you I'll be here for you.

He's been supportive all the way and never buys anything that will tempt me. He's not LC'ing so he does buy snacks for him, but he buys flavors I don't like so I'm not tempted and he usually waits till I'm not around to enjoy them.
He's always buying me Atkins shakes and bars so I have something from the "acceptable" list to munch on if I have a craving. He hugs me tight whenever I tell him I've lost another pound or more and tells me I'm beautiful and that he's proud of me.

GOD, I'm a lucky girl!

Lily
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My DH is very supportive although he isn't a devout low carber. He has reduced his carbs and he's careful that he doesn't eat too many. The first thing that he did when I began this WOE was give up beer and guess what? He lost 12 lbs-just from giving up beer!!!! He does all of the cooking and shopping and we have not had any canned vegetables since I have been doing this. Veggies have all been fresh from the produce department.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:42
MySpaceBarSticks.

Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

my Dh doesn't pay much attention. As long as he is getting food cooked, he could care less what it is. he does sometimes say let's order pizza, and then when i tell him to go ahead but just for him and the kids he will say nevermind. he has never tried to tempt me with anything, and one day when i was making cheeseburgers he asked me if i was allowed to have that. no bun of course. he has no idea what the acceptable foods are. i do all of the shopping and i still buy his junk food, the good thing is, i never liked the same junk food as he does. so it is never tempting!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 19:53
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

My Husband doesn't low carb, but he's very supportive of me doing it...He reminds me all the time to drink my water, and he'll go to nutritional stores, and regular grocery stores with me, ponting out things like, "Hey Hon, you would be able to have these...look at how low the carbs are"...He's a sweetheart!! He is also so pround of the weight I have lost so far! He compliments me daily...We repect each others way of eating, and it works for both of us..I still cook potatoes, etc., but just not for myself! Luckily, its not bothering me at all...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 20:06

BF:

Geeze I feel so unlucky. I just assumed that my husbands actions were 'normal'. Well it's wonderful for each and every one of you guys that seem to have found the support you need. LOL Jon it's so funny you should mention that.. I have had to fix a seperate dinner for my husband for the past 10 years. It's just habit and I rarely think about it being odd anymore. Well thanks for answering my post.

Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 02:37

Stats: 259/199/182 Male 68inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

My wife hasnt joined me on atkins on the premise that we are trying for a baby
and she doesnt think it would suit her to unbalance her metabolism,
but she does support me, while teasing about certain things that i still buy for her. when we cook evening meals we eat the same meats and different vegitables, she gets the peas,sweetcorn and potato and i get the brocolli and cauliflower, and mange tout,, no fuss.

and she keeps looking out for low carb treats for my weighin days when i have lost weight,.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 04:29

Stats: 123/118/110 Female 5 ft 2.5 ins
BF:24%/23%/20%
Progress: 38%

I'm really lucky with my BF too... he's so supportive of me on this woe. We went away for a couple of months travelling, and staying on plan was the hardest thing to manage while backpacking (my pack of LC tortillas and a stash of canned tuna just about pulled me through!), but he was so sweet about putting up with trailing around different places when we were looking for someplace to eat to find somewhere LC-friendly. He's not on low carb, and I do sometimes get a bit tetchy when he brings home a massive pizza (my old weakness!) but that's my problem not his really, and he doesn't try to get me to have any or anything (unlike my mother... but that's a whole different story!!)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 07:18

BF:

Juksey - I am actually doing the maint phase of atkins while pregnant now and there is quite a bit of variety. Basically you can have it all in moderation except for the refined products and sugar. My first two pregnancies I followed my regular high carb diet and almost doubled my weight with each. My last pregnancy I wasn't on atkins nor did I know what atkins was but on the request of my midwife I had a higher protein/ only whole grains nothing refined and no sugar diet (by dropping all the refined flours and sugar I probably cut my carbs by half) . It was the healthiest pregnancy I have had! I actually gained a 'normal' amount of weight for once. Maybe it was just luck who knows but I'm definately going to try my best to stick with it again.

Jenn

Oh and btw goodluck on getting preg. Kids are great!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 08:18

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

My husband is usually quite supportive and has cut back on the carbs himself, although he's not doing full-fledged Atkins. He found a great website the other day that offered lots of LC products and supplements.

Occasionally—rarely, really—he will say, "Here, have a bite of this." (Like yesterday he had a chalupa from Taco Bell and did that.) Usually I do have the bite; I've not noticed them affecting me, and I figure the more reasonable I appear, the more likely he is to start Atkins.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 08:25

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I am super lucky. When I decided to go true-blue low-carb, hubby was also interested so he read PPLP after me and decided it was for him as well. He now helps me plan meals and accompanies me to the grocery store. We are also supporting each other with the transition, especially the cravings for sugar.

He had been doubting whether or not he could do this for life, but yesterday when we were out to lunch he ingested some hidden carbs by accident (bad information from the server) and he had an allergic-type reaction to starch. He is now committed for life.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 08:39
Registered Member

Stats: 226/138/126 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

My hubby is very supportive! He even eats my lc concoctions without complaint. Fri. night we went out to eat - he chose Applebees. After looking at the menu, he said, "Oh no! There's nothing you can eat! Let's go somewhere else." How sweet! Well, I did find something I could eat. The waitress looked at me funny because of what I ordered, and Daniel told her I was on Atkins. She about dropped her jaw when I told her I've lost over 80#!