Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%
Default Help - Did I Blow It?

Ok, i went to a buffet at lunch...I ate:

2 big german sausage, with I think red pepper in them - not sure of the filler if any, which is bothering me
1 peice of beef
2 slices ham (deli style)
4 pieces (short chunks) of small grilled chicken
probably 2 full cups of veggies (plus 1 cup at breakfast)
4 small slices gouda, etc..

I feel like a stuffed cow, I overdid it, and my stomach feels horrible! Was it worth it? NO

do you think I ruined my ketosis?

ops.....DID NOT NOT NOT TOUCH DESSERT!!! I am proud of that!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 15:30
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hey TeresaMay! Its funny, my mom used to call me that when I was little and boy, I knew I was in trouble when she did!! What is so funny is that May is NOT my middle name!! LOL!!

As to your question...It doesnt look like anything you ate would knock you OUT of ketosis...there may have been some sugar in the sausages, but as far as filler...german sausages if well made shouldnt need them. Mostly beef, pork, seasonings, salt, pepper, sugar, etc. If you are truly worried, I would call the restaurant where you ate them and ask what the ingredients are. If there are fillers. Whenever I go out, I always ask if something has sugar or thickeners of any kind. If they seem to have a problem with telling you, and you don't want to tell them why, just say you have a food allergy. After all, that's what it is, right?

You should be fine. Welcome to the Club, and HAPPY LOSING!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 15:55

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I, too, find it easy to say I'm avoiding wheat. But don't even think about it, TheresaMay, just get right back to your usual routine as soon as you can. You didn't even cheat, just didn't notice when you'd had enough.
No biggie.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 15:55

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I think you'll be fine too.... good choices at a buffet! I don't think I'm strong enough to try buffet style restraurants It' s like a license to go overboard for me!

Just get back to regular quantities and you'll be fine!

Great job on passing up desert too
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 18:16
Registered Member

thanks for the support - I just wish I didn't feel so lousy about myself. I have worked so hard the last month and a half, and even though I didn't eat foods I shouldn't have, the fact that I ate as much as I did really bothers me. I know better than that, but common sense went out the window. I did my fitday count, and it showed about 24 carbs in total, and 1557 calories, so I guess it wasn't too bad - I am just more mad at myself than anything...especially since I have a bad belly ache
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 22:00

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Just think of it as a learning experience! You actually made good choices at a buffet. Perhaps you overate a bit but what the heck - you are learning and doing it better all the time. Eating at restaraunts is truly a test of how we make this a way of life and not a diet. I think you did great!

Orchid
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 23:34
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%

I agree with everybody, you made some good choices at the buffet. I think I would have trouble with the amount of food as well. Ever since I was a kid my father would tell be that buffet eating was all about "getting your monies worth". He would be upset with me if I didn't make at least 3 trips up.

The thing I am having to watch while following this WOE is noticing when I am full. For the past 30 years I have eaten until I was way past full. Now when I am full I have to watch myself so that I don't keep eating till I'm stuffed. All my life it was "finish whats on your plate" "don't waste food" "take all you want but eat all you take" etc...

Again, you did well at that buffet. You have a great lesson and memory to draw upon now for the next time you are eating beyond a comfortable level.

As for ketosis, it is possible to come out of it if you eat too much protein, but I don't think you went that far. Even if you did though the best thing to do is jump back on that horse. Do you use keytone urine test strips? Maybe having some around to check would help ease your fears.

Good luck and happy losing
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 02:16

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Don't be mad at yourself.... We all have a food blowout every now and then, and you did it wisely, so well done.
Not the end of the world
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 06:20
Registered Member

Wow, you know that is what I love about this place - everyone is so supportive, and the nice thing is that everybody here seems to say exactly what I need to hear - thanks everyone!! I am back on track today, and the bellyache is gone!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:51
Ohmahgawd! Really??

BF:

That's good, Im glad you are feeling better. The Tummy ache was probably just gas anyways!! Have a great day!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 14:04

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

If you go to your local drug store you can purshase KETOSTIX which can monitor you ketones
I am burning high ketones and have been doing so since I have come back to atkins
I was amazed at the level
It also warns me if they are dropping a bit that I better smarten up and go thru my daily diet to see what I have aten different to make it drop a bit
they cost around 8 bucks for a jar of 50 here in canada where I am
and they are at the counter not on the shelf
the higher the colour the more ketones you are using
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:19
Registered Member

thanks twinky I am going to do that today
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 19:57
Ohmahgawd! Really??

BF:

Girls, girls, girls! That's not neccessarily true about the KetoStix. Yes, they can confirm that you are in Ketosis. However, it is NOT true that the darker the stick is the better you are doing! In fact, usually, if the stick IS a dark color, that normally means you are not taking in enough water. A quick search on Ketostix in this very forum would confirm what I am saying to you, and Dr. Atkins himself confirmed this in his book. They are a tool only to see if you are in ketosis, but as he also states, they can be very misleading, and NOT very consistent. If you have the Keto-breath, and your mouth tastes funny, you are probably in Ketosis, and that is actually the best way to tell. Otherwise, the Stix are just a waste of good money. The stix can also be rather depressing and a pain in the butt!

I realize you are gonna do what you want, but I would read around, first. Buyer Beware, and don't buy into the hype. That's all I'm saying.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 20:15

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

Dreamnfae as to refrence on your reply please read the following that was written by a nutritionist for dr atkins
Question:
Does drinking lots of water affect the color of the sticks?

NUTRITIONIST:
Not really! The sticks are designed to measure a certain amount of ketones. My experience is that the concentration of the urine should not make much difference unless you are measuring at either extreme. One problem however, which is especially true of women I have found, is that they are chronically dehydrated. They are afraid to drink water because they might gain a pound on the scale. In the office we have a scale that measure percentage of body fat. It also measures levels of hydration because hydration effects the level, the measurement of the body fat. Women should be 50-60% water, Men should be 60-70% water. My patients who measure the lowest % of water, sometimes as low as 39% in women, are the women having the hardest time losing weight. Remember that water is necessary for the millions of chemical reactions that make our bodies work. Including the ones related to our metabolic rate. The more dehydrated we are, the less efficient our bodies will work, and that certainly can effect our ability to lose weight rule of thumb: 8 8oz glasses of water a day and for those of us who exercise 8 oz before exercise 8 oz for every 20 minutes of exercise 8 oz at the end Even in the winter as we can get just as dehydrated exercising in the cold as in the hot, although we are less aware of dehydration in the winter. And remember, that the more junk we add to water, the less healthy it is for us...as in...diet soda
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 20:23
Ohmahgawd! Really??

BF:

The sticks are designed to measure a certain amount of ketones. My experience is that the concentration of the urine should not make much difference unless you are measuring at either extreme. One problem however, which is especially true of women I have found, is that they are chronically dehydrated.

Thanks for making my point.