Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 06:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/233/130 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy I cheated...& gained 3 pounds...

Hi everyone...
Well, I said I wasn't going to do it, and I tried real hard, but I cheated and ended up gaining 3 pounds.
My husband was in a wedding away from home, which meant we had to stay in a hotel for a couple days. We got to the hotel Friday afternoon & ended up going directly to the rehearsal & the following dinner. Wouldn't you know, the dinner was lasagne. It was my full intention to either not eat & pick something up at a nearby grocery store afterwards, but by the time dinner was actually ready, I was ready to eat an entire Deli counter. (Not eating at all that day really screwed me up...) So...I took a small piece of lasagne & thought I'd eat everything but the noodles. By the time I scraped everything "bad" off my plate, I had edible food about the size of a quarter & felt horrible thinking that I was going to waste all the other. So, I ate it. It wasn't even all that good.
The next morning, I decided I'm going to hop back on the proverbial wagon & start over. I was fine all day until the wedding meal itself...roast turkey with mashed potatoes & gravy & stuffing & on and on... I did fairly well, until the bride brought me over a plate of potatoes & stuffing. Then she sat there until I ate them all! I couldn't believe it!! So Saturday was messed up as well.
Then it was time for my husband & I to leave on Sunday morning. Not even thinking...I grab a doughnut from the hotel's breakfast spread. Again, huge wrong move.
I ended up gaining only 3 pounds, but I hadn't even lost 20 yet, so it really set me back. Just got off induction a week (?) prior & now I'm back on it. It's really not too bad, and I've lost the 3+ in a week, but I could be over my 20lb. mark already, which makes me sick to my stomach!
Maybe I'm not ready for this? I've still got over 100 lbs. to meet my goal weight, and with these "mini" mind-lapses, I'm afraid I'm not going to get there. Did anyone else here take a "mini" LC vacation & end up better than ever? Was this just my little lesson learned? (And believe it, it was a hard lesson).
Thanks for letting me vent...

Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 06:57

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Sue, whatever you do, don't give up! Think of it as a lesson learned and move on. You can't change the past, but you can definitely move forward with this way of eating.

The fact that you came back here and posted about it tells me you are ready to do this. It's hard to break some of those old habits, especially when you are not at home.

Think about it from a different perspective...if you weren't so focused on eating healthily, you probably would have regained 10 lbs instead of 3. I know in my old days, I would have eaten 2 servings of lasagna! And let's not talk about how many doughnuts I'd have eaten the morning after. So in reality, you did quite well, given the circumstances.

I'm glad you came back and posted. You can do this!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Don't beat yourself up, you did the best you could under the circumstances, adn your mind set WAS on your diet - but that is a lot of pressure as well - I couldn't imagine saying no, if the bride brought it over and sat there waiting....

Now, just start over fresh...and chalk it up to a learning experience - now you will know what to expect and how to cope if the situation comes up again right?...

We're with you!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:37

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think most of us have been through the same thing at one point or another. The important thing is that you put it behind you and move on. It is very easy to beat yourself up for it and often times, this can cause even more self-destructive behavior. You are doing what you have to do now to get back in control and you CAN do it. You are human, and humans make mistakes. If you were God, you could just think thin and you would be thin! Keep you chin up and we are here for you.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:52

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Sue,
I have recently been cheating too. It started with a meal at my boyfriend's family's house...didn't wanna seem picky or rude, so I went down with lasagna too, ironically ...cheated for the past few days and gained 3 or 4 lbs

Atleast we're both back here typin' away ..meaning we're not ignoring what happened and getting back on track.

Someone has a quote here in their sig that I keep in mind when it gets hard..."Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:21

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

Why feel guilty?

I can't tell you how many diets I have given up on because I got so angry at myself for screwing up that I never bothered to get back on the diet. Life happens--we're in this for the long haul and I am certainly not willing to go without having stuffing at least ocasionally! (And please don't anyone suggust making it with pork rinds or low carb bread

Strive to make mostly good choices and you will be rewarded!

Good luck,
Christy
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:43

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

You have not gained 3 pounds of fat, unless you ate an additional 10,000 calories

It will be water/glycogen weight, will will disappear soon enough once you get back on the wagon. You may even find the slip up will trigger a loss so long as you don't keep up with the cheating.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 17:27
Registered Member

Stats: 234/224/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 9%

Put the cheat behind you and just move on without looking back. I figure that since this is a way of life, and we have many many many more years ahead of us, that invariably once in a while, we will have something not on plan. The trick is not to obsess about that slip/cheat...but to just move on. And not to let it happen too often.

Sounds like you did great and are back to normal now.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 18:56
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I agree the idea is to not dwell on it, but to move on and stay low carb now. You can't change the past.

You can, however, learn from it. What went wrong? How could you have handled it differently? If it were the morning of the rehearsal dinner all over again, what would you do this time?

This opinion isn't originally mine, someone else first voiced it, but I really believe that to make a mistake, learn from it and then to do it better next time is a far greater accomplishment than to have never made a mistake in the first place. Just look at this as your opportunity to become stronger and more powerful.

Valerie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:09

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Hop back on the wagon and don't dwell too much on the past. I was always one of the people who planned to start a diet on Monday and somehow Monday never arrived. It's great that you have immediately recognized what happened without too much time going by. Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:07

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Don't let it become more than it was....it was a minor slip up...giving up will make it a MAJOR one...You can do it!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:55
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Echoing all the others, don't let it get you down. Remember for the future, and know that you need to prepare yourself, and treat this as a learning experience. After all, we have all the rest of our lives to keep on this WOL, so we all have some learning to do along the way!