Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Anyone suffer from this? I have just about ALL the symptoms, and am asking my doctor to be tested for it today. My Mother also had all the symptoms.....

http://www.ivf-et.com/tlc/fact_pcos.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:41
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

There are several of us with it here and a PCOS forum in the health section of this board. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Low carbing has been the best thing I can do for that and everything else.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 09:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Yes I was diagnosed with PCOS after 5 years of infertility and an ultrasound showing the problem. Atkins has done wonders for me.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:08

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Have it/had it. Tested positive for it about six years ago (ultrasound & blood tests). Never had a regular period till this WOE. Used to be every 6mo or so, somtimes I went an entire year with no TOM. Since the first month of atkins(4/12/03), I have been every 31 days. Its not 28, but at least it is REGULAR!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:14

Stats: 187.5/179.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Have it/had it. Tested positive for it about six years ago (ultrasound & blood tests). Never had a regular period till this WOE. Used to be every 6mo or so, somtimes I went an entire year with no TOM. Since the first month of atkins(4/12/03), I have been every 31 days. Its not 28, but at least it is REGULAR!!!

The whole concept of a period not being "normal" unless it's a consistent 28-days every month is completely wrong. Anything from about 21 to 35 days is completely within the range of normal. That's awesome that this WOE has helped you so much!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:35

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have PCOS. I have had 12 miscarriages from PCOS and never had a normal TOM. It used to be every 3 months, every 6 months, 2 times a month, it was crazy! Since I started this WOL, I have had my TOM every 27 days on the dot and this is the first time in my life I have ever been normal.

I went to my RE yeaterday and he told me that ALL of my hormone levels were in perfect range, (the first time in 8 years) he also advised that I take BC now because if I were to get pregnant at this point, I would probably carry to term. All of my miscarriages were from hormonal imbalances caused by PCOS.

I do want to have a baby but not at this weight. As soon as I get REMOTELY close to goal, I am gonna have a baby. Thank you God for Low-Carb!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:21
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I get it every 40 days now. thats better than nothing for 8 months and then bleeding nonstop for two months.

This is the most regular I have ever been in my life and I am super excited!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 18:37

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I don't have this but I was reading about it the other day, and low-carb eating is recommended for it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Wow. I have this! Now I need a doctor and some treatment.

Has anyone tried laser hair removal?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 22:29
Registered Member

Stats: 160/156/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 16%

Low carbing has worked for me too. I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago while TTC baby number 1. I've been doing Atkins for 10 months now and since the first month I have had my TOM every 30 days. That's the first time I've been regular in my life! The other side effects of PCOS have improved a lot too. Yay Dr. Atkins!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 07:29

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I have had this for over 20 years. You can see from my stats how high my weight got. I couldn't lose. I tried LC and didn't lose. I had to combin LC eating, glucophage and exercise in order to get the weight down and it's still been slow.

The other symptoms (hair growth, acne, etc.) have not really improved but I'm still hopeful they may. The one thing that definitely HAS improved is my hair has grown in thicker than it's been for 20 years.

If you do get diagnosed with this, get to an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS for the best treatment. Family care MDs and even most gynos don't seem to have a real good idea how best to treat this. They often prescribe a combo of drugs and don't take the time to look at how hormone levels are changing. Just my experience

I looked into laser hair removal and found that it didn't seem to be as great as it promised. I opted instead for the prescription cream you put on your face. That worked pretty well for me. Interestingly enough, if I keep my calories low, that helps too.

Squid
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:28
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Do you use vaniqua, Squid?

I am considering asking for it. I have a horrible problem with the hair to the point where some days I just sit and cry and I dont want to go out in public and dont have the energy to wax and tweeze anymore. It gets really draining after a while and leaves bumps on my skin.

I have gotten to the point where I will not allow anyone to touch or kiss my face because I am so paranoid about the extra hair.

I want the laser but I am not sure about the results and its so expensive. I also considered electrolosis but there is so much hair it would take years to finish.

So far all I do is wax now and the docs say that it can decrease over time as I lose more weight. I am trying that before I ask for the cream or work on other things.

Does the cream work well? My skin is so sensitive I break out in rashes from perfumed soaps and lotions so I need to be super careful.