Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:41

Plan: induction
Stats: 125/120/105 Female 5 ft. 2 in.
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default my weight is not going down

hi! i started the atkins diet 3 wks. ago..i have followed the induction diet really carefully and i also did make a journal. i am still doing the induction phase as of now. my problem is, since i started this i only lost 2 lbs. now im 120 lbs. and it won't go down anymore since last week. i am losing inches though..i can fit some of my pants that won't fit before. but why is my weight not going down?...also im always constipated all the time..i drink psyllium husks everyday and i drink lots of water too still no change though. and last sunday i just couldnt take it anymore so i took some laxative is this ok?...please i need help on how i can correct this problem..thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:43

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

ummm, this diet isn't a quick weight loss diet, and the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off. It's also a very individual process. You have to find what works for you, nobody can tell you how to "correct" such an individual and structured "problem" as why your body isn't losing weight as fast as you want it to. If you haven't yet, i would suggest posting your menus and asking for a critique. Simply browsing all the forum logs and searching for things pertinent has helped me learn a lot. Also, if you don't exercise, you should think about starting. It seems to help the body adjust to being healthier...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:51
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

Hey there Raine, I agree with lilli.

The less you need to lose the longer it takes. As for the constipation are you getting enough ruffage?

Dewi
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 20:19

BF:

hi thanks for replying..well for my psyllium husks i take about 1 tsp. per serving and take it with water about twice a day....and i have been doing this since last week..and there's no change..im still really constipated and bloated all the time..i dont know why that's why i resorted to taking the laxative...

about the weight loss, i was worried because when i read the book it says that i could loose at least 5 lbs. so i kinda thought id loose this amt of weight..so i guess its really different for anybody?....i really went on this diet because i have friend who lost 40 lbs. and she says she feels healthier and more energized that's why i wanted to try it...i do see changes in me..i have more energy in the morning, i don't get hungry that much anymore..usually i get dizzy if i don't eat every 3 hrs....

as for my menu here it is: for breakfast: scrambled eggs and sometimes i would eat a piece of bacon and decaf coffee.. for snack: ill have a piece of cheese, or a handful of macadamia nuts..for lunch: tuna salad, or chicken salad..then for dinner: i would eat 2 pieces of fried chicken or steak,,and then ill eat cheese again...sometimes i would also eat about 2 tbsp. of peanut butter for snack if im at home..so what do you think?....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 20:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

nuts are not allowed in induction, however if you are drinking lots of water, and are seeing inchs lost keep it up . if you are not drinking enough water you could be holding water. nuts did make me stall. i wouldnt eat the peanut butter either it has lots of carbs stick to vegs only for your carbs. good luck
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:38
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Of course you're constipated....where are the veggies? ALso the nuts and peanut butter aren't allowed on induction. You may want to review the rules of induction, and particularly the allowed vegetables just to make sure you're getting enough.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 05:23

BF:

you might think about restarting your induction, and this time leave out the nuts peanut butter and really keep a good count of your carbs. during induction your carbs really ought to come from vegs only. you could gain weight eating nuts and peanut butter. got to keep it clean and simple. lotsa water pls. you can do it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 07:32

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

It's the veggies.. without them you will stay with constipation problems. And for some people psyllium husks can make it worse. Try some ground flax seed. Spinach is another good thing for constipation.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:21
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Also Raine, sometimes we idealize our bodies at a certain weight. As we get older we must realize we will not have the body we did at 16, You didn't mention your age but at 5'2" your body mass index is right in there.you are already in ideal weight zone.So if you were trying to lose a little more it will definitely come off slower. OH..... and WELCOME RAINE!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 12:31

BF:
Default thanks

hi everyone! thanks for your support! okay i will try my induction again and ill stay off the nuts and peanut butter. and also i will add more veggies in my diet. then i will tell you if there's any change in my weight loss. i also have another question..is it ok for me to have those ATkins Advantage drinks or bars and the cappucino mix?..i have been drinking this too..is this a factor of stalling weight loss too?...

thanks
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 04:31

BF:

not during induction, did you read the book. its a real wonder you aint gained weight. you must keep the induction part clean. NO you can not eat the lc junk foods during induction. just vegs for carbs. lol girl
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:19

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

The LC bars, etc., stall some people, and it's best to do induction without them.

Just in case you haven't read the book, you need two cups of salad veggies and one cup of regular low-carb veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) daily. Stay away from carrots and other high-carb veggies for now.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 21:04

BF:

hi! ok.i did read the book and i remember reading somewhere that i can have the advantage bars. also i ordered the atkins catalog, they have that color coding thing and in it the advantage was color coded for induction too..that's why i thought i could have it. so now i see where my problem is thank you all so much for all the information..it'll really help me a lot! I am also going to re read the book so that i can be clear on everything...

yeah i didn't gain weight at all but didn't loose any too that's why i came for help so that i may correct what i was doing wrong...

thanks so much! this time i'm gonna eat more veggies, and no more lc junkies! hope ill make it this time!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 21:05

BF:

oh one more quick question..could i use half and half for my coffee? i drink the decaffeinated one...thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 23:44

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

half and half is okay, but the heavy whipping cream has way less carbs for the same amount--makes it a nice, creamy treat, too!

I agree that you need to up the veggies, cut out nuts/peanut butter and cut out any lc treats.

Altho, for the constipation, the lc bars sweetened with maltitol sure do the trick for me Cal/mag supplements can get things moving, too (the magnesium does it). With a lot more veggies, you probably won't have a problem anyway. Try having your tuna/chicken salad with a salad (romaine and spinach) and full-fat dressing and add some green beans, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli to your dinner (dripping in butter, of course ).

Good luck!