Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Weight Watchers Meals

Ok, so today I tried one of those new lower carb weight watchers meals. It wasnt bad tasting and had about 9 carbs. But two things about it irritated me. First, there is this sanctimonius cr*p on the back about how not ALL carbs are bad for you and how you need some grains etc.

The second thing that annoyed me is that the meal is not just low carb, its low fat. A lot of these folks just CANT get over the fact that low carbers don't care about the fat content other than to make certain they arent eating too much saturated fat. In fact, personally I don't WANT Low fat. For me, the whole idea of low carbing is that I CAN eat fat and it keeps me full. These guys just dont get it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 18:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guess if we don't buy them, they'll get the hint.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 18:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
A lot of these folks just CANT get over the fact that low carbers don't care about the fat content other than to make certain they arent eating too much saturated fat.

Another thing you might want to check is whether or not the meal contains any hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fats. Most every weight watchers product I've taken a look at lately does.
Personally, I pay way more attention to whether or not a product or food has hydrogenated fats in it than its saturated fat content; the former are far more dangerous than the latter.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:06
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Some low carbers do seem to watch fat intake or at least calorie count. Atkins isnt the only low carb plan, some are on SB or other plans.

I would watch for the hydrogenated oils and stuff too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 23:06

BF:

I guess thats true that some low carbers watch the calories and fat content.

I wish that someone would market a series of low carb microwavable dinners that were really based on an Atkins type format. (I'm a workaholic and I hate to cook)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I hate the propaganda on the back of the box too--I don't know what "popular low-carb diet" they think discourages vegetable consumption... oh brother.

But the food itself is OK. I wish it weren't low-fat, but at least it's not ridiculously low-calorie like the "low" carb Lean Cuisines. There's a decent amount of protein in the WW meals. All I have to do is pack some cheese, pepperoni, and nuts as "side dishes" and I have an OK lunch.

As for trans fats... If there are some, it's a pretty small amount. I've heard people complain that sugar is listed on the label, but with something like 8g net carbs and a bunch of veggies, chances are there aren't a whole lot of sugar molecules in these things...

These aren't ideal, but they're a start.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 21:43

BF:

Fendel, yeah - it seemed to me that they were trying to bash Atkins, using misinformation at that, and I hated in a way to sponsor that by buying it. At the same time, I'm terribly lazy about cooking so... There is also a regular hungry man meal with only 16 grams, which may seem like a lot if you're trying to lose, but if you're maintaining, its a a pretty good meal.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yeah... I'm not keen on supporting the propaganda, but I guess it's a practical thing for me; I know I'll get sick of packing leftovers or cold cuts if I don't get the frozen entrees. The entrees help me keep on track.

I also prefer buying those instead of supporting the cafeteria where I work, which has been obnoxiously unwilling to accommodate low-carbers. The previous vendor would let us get just the meat part of an entree and they'd weigh it, and charge by the ounce. The new vendor we got a few months back will only deduct $1 from the entree price--meaning we'd pay $4.25 for a couple ounces of turkey or roast beef (and on many days, the entree was hopelessly unsalvageable, with the little amount of meat completely mingled with starch -- sample menu: chimichanga, Spanish rice, and cornbread! or a heap of spaghetti with a hunk of garlic bread and one Italian sausage). A number of us are seriously peeved because we even submitted a page-long list of recommendations on how they could keep our business. They ignored it.

Anyway, I'm boycotting the cafeteria. Giving my money to Weight Watchers is the lesser of two evils in this case.