Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:10
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have a couple of Dana Carpender's cookbooks (still waiting on Amazon to ship How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds) and I have to say I absolutely *LOVE* Dana Carpender's 500 Low-Carb Recipes book (see my journal for a little review along with comments about recipes we've tried).

She has some excellent hints and tips in her cookbooks, very similar to this article. Her cookbooks are definitely worth a browsing, if only just for that, really!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:44
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

You can get Kefir starter online or at a health food store and make it with the low carb milk or coconut milk.

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com sells kefir starter
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:54
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Low carb milk? I've never actually heard of that - I assume you don't mean cream?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 04:58
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Low carb milk? I've never actually heard of that - I assume you don't mean cream?

!!!!

Yes, LC milk is available! Hit your local Tom Thumb, gotbeer. I know they carry it. Central Market does as well. Look for Carb Countdown. This stuff is excellent. No more having to mix the Keto powdered milk (which, I might add, is also very good)! I know you've checked out my journal entry #2, silly. It's listed there!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

How do they make milk low-carb anyway
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 07:39
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

"We reduced the carbohydrates in the milk through a proprietary technology combining ultrafiltration and dairy ingredient technologies," says Peggy Poole, v.p. research and development and quality control.

It is sweetened with splenda.

It has 3 carbs per cup for the regular milks and 2 carbs per cup for the chocolate which tastes like a milkshake.

It tastes and works just like regular milk. I use the whole milk with the flax nut granola and sometimes have the chocolate as a treat or if I am making a protein shake it works great! Also you can heat it up for hot cocoa.

The milk can also be used in coffee for less carbs than cream and a similar rich flavor (in the whole)

You can make yogurt or kefir with it, use it in baking or just about anything else you can think of.

Its lower in carbs and higher in protein.

Thats the info for the whole milk

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 130 Calories from Fat 70

% Daily Values

Total Fat 8g 12%

Saturated Fat 5g 25%

Cholesterol 35mg 11%

Sodium 210mg 9%

Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%

Dietary Fiber 0g
1%

Sugars 3g

Protein 12g 24%

Vitamin A 6% Calcium 35%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%
Vitamin D 35%
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:33

BF:

Thanks MyJourney

That seems a little vague though
Quote:
We reduced the carbohydrates in the milk through a proprietary technology combining ultrafiltration and dairy ingredient technologies

I am always a little leary of processed food. So often over processing destroys the integrity of the food and makes it unwholesome. Just look at trans-fat.

Would be nice though to have low-carb milk to make protein shakes.

I doubt this milk is avalaible in Canada though
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenno
!!!!

Yes, LC milk is available! Hit your local Tom Thumb, gotbeer. I know they carry it. Central Market does as well. Look for Carb Countdown. This stuff is excellent. No more having to mix the Keto powdered milk (which, I might add, is also very good)! I know you've checked out my journal entry #2, silly. It's listed there!

I must've missed it - all those links made me dizzy.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 12:54
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

How on earth do you make yogurt or kefir if all (most) of the carbs have been removed from the base milk? What are the yogurt/kefir bacteria supposed to eat?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:03
upback

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

what are the ingredients in Carb Countdown? the website doesn't really say... is it real food or artificial food in it? thanks
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 07:40
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

It isnt lactose free milk, so whatever sugars are in the carb countdown milk is still lactose. I suppose its just faster to eat it up. Real yogurt still has a lot of carbs because the bacteria doesnt eat up all of the lactose from my understanding. It will work with coconut water too so I guess it doesnt need to be dairy.

The ingredients on my carton of CC whole milk are

Water, Fat free milk, cream, calcium casenate, whey protein concentrate, buttermilk, tricalcium phosphate, salt, disodium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, locust bean gum, natural flavor, sucralose, Acesulfame potassium and vitamin D3
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 07:53

BF:

I dunno but to me milk should read

ingredients: milk
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:11
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upback
what are the ingredients in Carb Countdown? the website doesn't really say... is it real food or artificial food in it? thanks

I only have a carton of the 2% in my fridge (someone drank all the chocolate, dangit!) but I think they're all fairly similar as far as ingredients goes.

Ingredients (HP Hood Carb Countdown 2%):
water, ultrafiltered fat free milk, cream, calcium caseinate, whey protein isolate, buttermilk, tricalcium phosphate, salt, disodium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, locust bean gum, natural flavor, sucralose (Splenda® Brand), acesulfame potassium, vitamin A palmitate, and vitamin D3.

I love this stuff. Really.

I also happen to have a can of KĒTO MILK here. The ingredients are somewhat similar.

Ingredients (KĒTO MILK):
whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, milk protein isolate, cream, polydextrose, high oleic sunflower oil, dry milk powder, egg white, natural flavors, tapioca, xanthan gum, salt, cellulose gum, acesulfame potassium, mono and diglycerides, and vitamins A and D.

Both are excellent products, really (it's nice to have milk with cereal again!) but the Carb Countdown is just so much easier. I don't have a price sticker on my
KĒTO MILK container, but I think it costs roughly $5.00 and there are about 12 servings per container. I think the Carb Countdown is a little more cost efficient, but the KĒTO MILK is great for emergencies (like, when someone drinks all the CC!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I dunno but to me milk should read

ingredients: milk

While it would be intuitive for the ingredients of milk to be just as such, not even a regular carton of milk purchased in the store will be solely milk due to all the pasteurization and processing, etc. Fresh milk is a bit too much for most people, usually being too thick and rich.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:16

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Why is there sweetener in milk?

I do like milk in my tea, so I might try this when I get to goal.

One question from the ingredients label: "...ultrafiltered fat free milk, cream, calcium caseinate, whey protein isolate, buttermilk,..."

So they take the fat out of the milk then add it back? Why? isn't that just more processing? Why don't they start with whole milk?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:30
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Why is there sweetener in milk?

I think the sweetener is used to replace the removal of some of the lactose. Milk naturally has sugar in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
One question from the ingredients label: "...ultrafiltered fat free milk, cream, calcium caseinate, whey protein isolate, buttermilk,..."

So they take the fat out of the milk then add it back? Why? isn't that just more processing? Why don't they start with whole milk?

Again, I think they're adding back in what they couldn't prevent being removed in the first place. This is just a guess on my part, though. I've written them thanking them for the product and received a fairly quick response. You may want to write them with these questions.