Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 17:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default New low carb cafe and grocery in Toronto Area

For those of you who may have missed it , there was a small blurb in the bites section of the Star about a new low carb cafe, 12 seat, in Thornhill, supposedly has 300 low carb grocery items. Owner has successfully lost 50 lbs and missed the choice of low carb grocery items. So maybe you guys can check it out!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:45

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

it's on steeles west 300 ... very near york university (yay, i'll check it out after my exams tommorow )... it's west of yonge

i wonder what they'll serve at the cafe... hopefully lc desserts!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/170/163 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

What is the name and or address of the cafe?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:58

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I think it's called the Low Carb Living Market and Cafe, and it's at 248 Steeles East Unit 3 (maybe this is the Toys R Us plaza???)

Mary
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:10

BF:

i'm going today after my class 12noon class it's just 3blocks from york u. ... i'll let you peepz know what they serve at the cafe
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 16:28

BF:

checked out the selection at the store... wasn't really impressed... the lowcarb food like bars, cereals, etc were pretty expensive (even more expensive than GNC)... they have similar wraps to subway (they're around the same price)... their drinks in the fridge all contained aspartame... pretty much nothing special you can find in other places...

my fave stores are still the sndcanada stores scattered around the GTA... followed by GNC
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:32
Registered Member

Stats: 254/229/190 Male 72 inches
BF:24/16/12
Progress: 39%

I checked it out today. They have the new low carb bars from Odessey. They said that will be getting the DaVinci syrups soon. That will be a definite plus (as I still do not have a store for them in the GTA). They have a reasonable selection of low carb items and are more convenient for me to get to than SNDCANADA.

-Callahan-
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 15:29

BF:

where are you located Callahan? There's an SND downtown near a subway station (i forgot where though)... check out sndcanada.com

i'll have you warn you guys/gals about the Odessey bars... they are known to cause stalls even with people that don't stall with the atkins endulge/advantage bars... davinci syrups?! when when? i'll be back at the store just for those

the store should come up with something unique to the store for example: lowcarb cheesecake, mocha frappes etc... they pretty much just sell salads and wraps (which you can get at subway anyway)

for those that want to buy lowcarb pop... you can find Diet Crush (orange, grape, etc) at dominion! sweetened by splenda! woot!

GNC has been picking up a lot of new products lately too... but they're much more expensive than SND
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:32
Registered Member

Stats: 254/229/190 Male 72 inches
BF:24/16/12
Progress: 39%

Hey Rice,

I am in Markham... I travel out to Brickyard Way for my sndcanada store.

I like the Odessey bars and they have just came out with a brand new low carb bar called Odyssey Slim Advantage, so try it out and see if you stall. They come in 3 flavours (Rocky Road, Carmel Nut and Chocolate Coconut Almond). I bought one of each.

It will be great if they get the DaVinci syrups... We will have to wait and see.

You mentioned diet pop... I have not seen the diet crush come in grape, only Orange and Cream Soda. Have you bought the Diet Grape pop?

I agree with you on the store needing something unique... When I was in New York city, I could get low carb cheescake everywhere. In the GTA I can't find any. So tonight I am making my own. ha.

-Callahan-
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 23:31

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20

Caroles Cheesecake makes several low carb cheesecakes. I have not tried them, but I hear they are great.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 23:43

BF:

heya callahan, i'll check out those new odyssey bars... the ones my friend and i ate (i think it was a month ago so it might not be the slim advantage type) had so much sugar alcohols, they knocked us out of ketosis pretty much the next day hehe... ouch... what do you think of the bars? I'm sure they taste better than the advantage bars (most of the advantage bars pretty much taste like cardboard lol... well maybe except the smores and pralines bars)... oh yeah, just wondering, what's the nurtirition info on the odyssey bars? what kind of sugar alcohols do they use?

whoah, brampton's a long trip for you from markham! that's where i go since i live in mississauga...

hmmmm, to be honest, i'm not even sure what flavors the crush sodas come in, but i'm sure i saw at least two kinds... i don't know since i've never bought the soda before hehe

man, someone needs to open a lowcarb dessert shop!!! how do you make your cheesecake? do you use a mix? i crave cheesecake! i'm even considering driving to newyork to try the cheesecake haha...

you know what, lowcarb products are slowly popping up everywhere! i checked out gnc last week and wow! but their prices are still pretty crazy... thank goodness for the orowheat and dempsters lowcarb bread that recently hit the shelves, saving myself a lot of money eating the lowcarb bread versus eating subway wraps
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 23:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph z
Caroles Cheesecake makes several low carb cheesecakes. I have not tried them, but I hear they are great.

where where? cheesecake *droooool*

Where's Caroles Cheesecake?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:25
Registered Member

Stats: 220/158/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I have been looking into starting my own business making low carb products and importing many items...

I like to know where this cheesecake place is... My husband is off this week . I will send him
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 17:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

If you check the recipe section on this board, and put cheesecake in the search function, you will find all kinds of recipes.
For a quick fix here is a recipe for cheesecake nibbles, which anybody with a mixer can make in minute
2 - 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
3 eggs - room temperature
1 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1-1/2 c splenda or to taste ( I use less, don't like really sweet cheesecake
Place all ingredients in a mixer bowl and mix till smooth.
Preheat oven to 375 deg. Generously spray a muffin tin with non stick spray and fill with mixture. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 35 mins or till set. Cool and freeze. Makes 12 small cupcakes. Approximately 4 carb per mini cheesecake.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:34

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:

Hi

I just thought I'd mention I saw an article about the new lo-carb market and cafe in yesterday's 24 mag. It is available free in boxes around Toronto.

The article mentioned a bit about the shop, and the owner is a 27 year old York grad (in nutrition) who lost 50 lbs on Atkins. It seemed interesting...

M