Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 20:45

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Thumbs down Citrus Ads Seek to Counter Carb Stigma

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...citrus_low_carb

Citrus Ads Seek to Counter Carb Stigma
Wed Mar 10, 5:10 PM ET Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, AP Business Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. - Citrus growers trying to win over low-carb dieters are pinning their hopes on a kitchen blender.

The Florida Citrus Commission approved a television commercial Wednesday that will stress the health benefits of orange juice, taking on the low-carb diets that discourage its consumption because of its high sugar content.

The commercial will show a man feeding a kitchen blender rutabagas, liver, okra, brussels sprouts, a banana and four oysters as he explains that those are the foods a person would need to consume to get the equivalent vitamins and minerals found in a glass of orange juice.

The ad was chosen after focus groups rejected earlier ads that mocked low-carb diets like the Atkins diet, which advocates eating meats and cheeses over high carbohydrate foods such as orange juice, pasta and bread.

One proposed ad, called "Grease," showed a man pouring fat from a skillet into a glass. He then poured orange juice into another glass. Holding up the glass of grease and then the glass of orange juice, he said, "Some people think this is healthy, while this is not."

Orange juice consumption has decreased 5 percent in the last three years, from a high of 888 million gallons during the 2000-2001 growing season to an expected 844 million gallons for the current season.

The Florida Department of Citrus hopes to get the new ad on the air by mid-April and has committed to purchasing $4.8 million of air time through June on ABC, NBC and cable television channels.
___
On the Net:

Florida Department of Citrus: http://www.floridajuice.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:29

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
The commercial will show a man feeding a kitchen blender rutabagas, liver, okra, brussels sprouts, a banana and four oysters as he explains that those are the foods a person would need to consume to get the equivalent vitamins and minerals found in a glass of orange juice.

That doesn't sound right at all.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 00:17
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:

Yup, that sounds just plain false. Glass of OJ? Right *snicker*

But then again, it's an ad.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 01:01

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

You might get some nutrition from fortified OJ, perhaps.

It's difficult to understand where they are getting that kind of nutrition value from the juice and pulp of a couple of oranges.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

That is so misleading!!! I'm pretty sure that's for *fortified* OJ. Heck, I can "fortify" my own LC food with a multivitamin.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 14:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/195/160 Male 5ft 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Awhile back there was a little segment on NBC nightly news about how the LC diets are affecting the sales of citrus products such as OJ. They said that sales are down around 17% and they are taking it so seriusly that they are concidering a law suit againts the authors of LC diet books. What is this world coming to.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/186.2/140 Male 64 inches
BF:les/sen/ing
Progress: 32%

Dont you all feel ashamed that you are losing the oj companies millions they can barely afford?
cos I dont
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 15:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

Fact or fiction? Let's see. I used Fitday to compute the nutritional analysis of an 8 oz. glass of OJ versus what they state you would need to equal the vitamins an minerals in an average size glass of OJ. Here's the results based on % of RDA supplied:

OJ first:

Vitamin A: 6.2%
Vitamin D: 0%
Vitamin E: 2.9%
Vitamin K: 0.382%
Vitamin C: 206.67%
Thiamin: 20.29%
Riboflavin: 6.76%
Vitamin B-6: 7.63%
Vitamin B-12: 0%
Niacin: 7.09%
Folate: 18.79%
Iron: 3.31%
Zinc: 1.03%
Selenium: 0.451%
Calcium: 2.73%
Copper: (RDA not established): 0.109 mg.
Phosphorus: 6.02%
Magnesium: 8.53%
Sodium: (RDA not established) 2.48 mg.
Potassium: (RDA not established) 496 mg.

Now for the concoction they came up with (not that I'd ever put all that in a blender and drink it...ewwww!)
For the vegetables, I used 1/2 cup as my measurement, 4 oz. beef liver and 4 oysters and a small banana: Results?

Vitamin A: 1,510.6%
Vitamin D: 316.27%
Vitamin E: 47.12%
Vitamin K: 1.07%
Vitamin C: 180.5%
Thiamin: 67.84%
Riboflavin: 321.96%
Vitamin B-6: 157.57%
Vitamin B-12: 4,826%
Niacin: 135%
Folate: 104.3%
Iron: 148.95%
Zinc: 1,497%
Selenium: 312.73%
Calcium: 18.41%
Copper: (RDA not established) 12.56 mg.
Phosphorus: 104.99%
Magnesium: 60.32%
Sodium: (RDA not established) 699.8 mg.
Potassium: (RDA not established) 1579.4 mg.

Wow! I'm not sure what they're smoking, but obviously someone is smokin' something to make the claims they're making. In order to meet the same nutritional requirements of their concoction that they claim is equivalent to one glass of OJ, you'd have to drink a whole lot of orange juice! Wonder what size glass they had in mind? Something else they don't tell you is that you get more fiber and protein in the second recipe than you do in the first making it the nutritional winner over that glass of OJ hands down.
I guess truth in advertising doesn't hold much water in their eyes when market shares are on the line.

Last edited by Lisa N : Thu, Mar-11-04 at 16:02.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:00

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Problem is, too many people think if they see it on TV...especially if it's from a "reputable company", an "expert", a star (maybe that should be in quotes too?), etc, they'll believe it as fact!

They need a big spokesperson. Somebody really really big! A reputable star who is, of course adorable, sweet, wonderful "down to earth", family man/woman, S/he in an expert in nutrition, medicine, something in the field. And of course, this person will have some story about suffering from something, dying of something, whatever and OJ saved his/her life, career, family....whatever.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:41
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Thanks a lot Lisa N for posting this analysis...their claim made me cringe too...
It's actually almost an outright lie...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:42

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

this is just the tip of the iceberg. 5 yrs from now nobody will
follow USDA pyramid (well if they don't change it) and
LC-ing (better term low-GI way of eating) will be mainstream. IMHO
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:44

BF:

Quote:
Problem is, too many people think if they see it on TV...especially if it's from a "reputable company", an "expert", a star (maybe that should be in quotes too?), etc, they'll believe it as fact!

Yes and that's what they're counting on. Too few people think critically enough to think, "is that really true?" when they see a commercial such as this and follow up on it to verify as we did here.
The only thing that the OJ was higher in than their concoction was Vitamin C and that wasn't even my much.
OTOH...how many people eat liver, brussels sprouts, okra, oysters and rutabagas all in the same day or even frequently? The underlying message is: "would you rather have a yummy glass of orange juice or have to eat all this "yucky" stuff to be healthy?" They didn't pick that combination by accident, you know.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:44

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

Hmmmmm.....maybe if they found a way to get all that nutrition in a piece of Black Forest Cake, I might be tempted.
But I'm not forsaking my l-c WOE for a glass of orange juice.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:24

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Well Lisa has found that vitamin (C) that orange juice is high in, but what mineral is it high in that the other foods aren't?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Well Lisa has found that vitamin (C) that orange juice is high in, but what mineral is it high in that the other foods aren't?

None. That's where it becomes a bold-faced lie that they're counting on you not checking up on.
It does have a decent amount of potassium, but not nearly as much as the alternative they presented.