Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Help! How do the women measure...

... the, uh, well, saggy breasts, and, ummm, flabby stomach???

I have an account on mybodycomp.com, but the picture, as many of you know, shows a man who doesn't have THOSE problems.

So when it says to measure the breast just above the nipples, do they mean where they are NOW, are where you WISH they where? Can I lift them up?

And what about the stomach?? Abdominals I guess it is. That man never had children, or c-sections, or a variety of other surgeries. It's so squishy (sorry, if any guys are reading this - most women will understand), I keep getting different measurements. I just want to move it out of the way and measure below it, which of course would be cheating, but tempting.

I guess there's no need to admit I'm not in my 20's, is there?

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:44

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I had the same problem. What I noticed is that if you look at the picture closely, they are really measuring under the armpits for the chest measurement. You aren't trying to measure your bust, just the chest. So I measured above where the saggy boobs start.

The stomach is the hard one for me. I just made an educated guess. I think as long as you are as consistent as possible each time you measure, you should be ok. It's the trend you really want, anyway.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:57
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I'm laughing at the mental picture and can't keep ahold of my tape measure
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 00:33

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

I take three bust measurements, all with a decent, supportive bra on. The upper bust is just that, basically where the swell of the breast starts. The second is the full bust--the largest measurement, usually across the nipples. the third is under the bust, basically the ribcage under the breasts. The first two measurements come from sewing, the third from curiosity--wanted to know how that measurement compared to my bra size. I also like it because, like the wrist, it is a measurement that measures up against the bone and gives a sense of satisfaction when it goes down, esp considering that my bust goes down way to fast nd my abomidables hang on forever!!

When it comes to the waist I also take three. Being apple shaped I have what I call my small waist, my skirt waist and my "abomidables" (the worst but most telling of all of them--when that one goes down I know that I am getting somewhere!!!) The small waist is just that, the smallest dimension below my ribcage. (When I was thin that was where my skirts always landed and it always looked bad so I generally wore jumpers.) The skirt waist is what I developed as I gained weight. My skirts sit there but they also take on the pot belly slant--definitely NOT parallel with the floor! The abomidable measurement is simply the largest measurement around the apple. Just find the biggest bulge and measure that. It will probably migrate as you lose weight but there will ALWAYS be a "largest" measurement. As for my hips they are almost the smallest measurement on my torso! but do require a slight shifting of the flab. I consider the flab to be a part of the abomidables rather than the hips since it comes from there!

Won't it be so nice when these things don't really matter!! Even so, unless you are really small, always measure your bust with a good bra on. That is how you wear your clothes (and, in fact, foundation garments determine how fashions are designed. The fashions of the 50's would NOT go with the foundations of the 60's--or lack thereof!)

Connie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 00:38

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

OMG! I lost it laughing at your post. I know exactly what you mean. If I had to measure just above the nipple, I would get my chest and waist measurements together in one shot! Being a 48 FF, you can't imagine what I go through. And my hips, well, that is another story all together. Is it under the hanging stomach part of the hips or over the hanging stomach part of the hips?

Again, another problem exclusive to the TDC.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 03:53
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Don't feel bad....I'm in my twenties....after three kids....my boobs are laying on my stomach to get a break.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I had this exact same problem trying to work out body fat percentages and lean muscle mass when I started PP. They said to measure the waist by where your belly button is. Well...my belly button these days in the vicinity of my hips...so tell me...where did my hips go?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

OMG!!!! I am rolling on the floor and tearing up here!!!

I usually measure with a supportive bra on.

I have noticed that the roll of my stomach is shrinking, now, when I measure my buttocks, the tape measure goes under the roll instead of over it!! yay!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 15:16

BF:

Okay.... so I'm going to try to measure with a bra on. And since I only have one that fits right now I guess that will have to do!

Great suggestions ladies (keep them coming)!! I was thinking I'll have to get a full length mirror (gag) just to make sure I am measuring properly - AND in the same place (if it's not shifting?!) every time. And measure in more places. That makes more sense.

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone out there.

Thanks TDC angels!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 18:40

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

if you are measuring yourself (not having someone do it for you) ABSOLUTELY measure in a mirror - and read the tape in the mirror - squirming to see it or trying to hold a finger while you unwrap the tape is too prone to problems - just read it off the mirror - just make sure what 2 numbers you are between in backwards land.

L
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:13

Stats: 260/208.8/130 Female 5 FT 5 IN
BF:
Progress: 39%

You are sooooo not alone.
I'll have to try and measure with a bra on next time. I'm afraid my measurement may go up. Although that might not be a bad thing since I've gone from a "D' to a "B" already. I'm afraid I may not have anything left by the time I get to goal.

I just find the the biggest "stuff" sticking out and measure across that. I can't wait until the measurements are not a big deal any more.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:53
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I solved the problem by focusing on clothes, not measurements. I always have a pair of jeans in my closet that is one size smaller than the size I am currently wearing. I periodically try the too small jeans on to see how they fit. When they fit, I know I have lost inches and it is time to buy a pair in the next smaller size and go through the same thing all over again. I always buy the identical jeans (except for size), so it is a pretty good measure of whether or not I am shrinking!

I guess this doesn't work if you are worried about your top, but I am much smaller on the top than on the bottom, so it lets me focus on the area where I really want to lose. Not that I don't want to lose on the top also, but at this point the bottom is more crucial.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:33

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

Speaking of mirrors....in redoing our bathroom one of the last steps was to put in a mirror which replaces a much smaller, standard medicine cabinet mirror that didn't show much. The new one is 24x36 and shows EVERYTHING above the sink!!! Forget initials---
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what I get for not having any decent mirrors in the house!!! Maybe I should put one in the kitchen!!!!!!!
Connie
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/270/150 Female 5'6"
BF:62% 55% 25%
Progress: 29%

Hi all, hope this helps, I go to curves and we do the once a month measure and weigh thingy, and this is what they do. I'm hoping they do it right I've been quite happy with what they tell me anyway.(83lbs- 71 inches gone yipee) they measure your chest with a bra on to hold it all up(if you happen to be much luckier in the area than I am I'm envious)they want the fullest measuresment so yes just above the nipple in a bra. Run down about two inches from your armpit for your arm measurements wrap the tape around then drop your arm to your side for the correct measurement, leg measurements are taken by dropping your arm down and measuring around where the tip of your longest finger touches your leg, hips go right around the hip joint and unfortunately, if you are like me and have two c-sections and two other surgeries under your belt you also have the lovely apron as the docs. so wonderfully refer to it as part of that measurement. Hope it helps, take care all.

Treese
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 21:05

BF:

elmuyloco5 - - I was like that too after I had my two children 14 months apart. My breasts actually did start standing up for themselves again until my thirties, then the decline began again. Oh... what we women go through - especially us TDC women!

Treese - I'm with you - 2 c-sections & 4 other surgeries - makes for an interesting area, doesn't it?

I can't even tell everyone here how helpful this has been. I'm going to try all the approaches - measuring where suggested - in front of the mirror (still GAG), and finally keep on trying on smaller clothes - really fun, right liz?

Rocky (I'm still glaring at my tape measure)