Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 22:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Help, I need some suggestions

I just started a new job to be able to afford going to university. I am going to be working at a group home for a couple of autistic women, working a couple of 4-8pm shifts per week.

I am really wondering what I can do about dinner. Both the women residents are overweight and the government has put them on low-fat diets. I am going to be there for one or two dinners per week and am expected to eat the food without complaint. The women are expected to clean their plates and eat what they are given without complaint also. Tonight we had turkey cooked in soy sauce/honey/mustard, angel hair pasta and broccoli. The other time I was there they had macaroni baked with tomatoes and cheese. I managed to beg off the macaroni but one woman sees me eating something different as me saying that her food is bad and wont eat if I dont.

I ate the turkey and broccoli, moved the pasta around my plate, but she noticed this , so I ended up eating several bites so that she would eat her dinner.

I am not in a position to cook anything different, the menus are set out for the month, the recipes are set in steel and the women notice manipulations (ie, moving it around instead of eating it).

So I am stumped, has anyone else had this situation?

Holly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 23:23

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think the only thing you can do, besides get a different job, is to eat absolutely no other carbs during the days that you work. Or maybe you could say you're full and offer SOME of your noodles to the women? Or, if you want to get tough, you could tell your supervisor that you've discovered that you're intolerant of wheat.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 23:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Holly,

Why not have your dinner before the shift, after the shift, or bring your own with you?

It's good to be polite and considerate to others, but not at your own expense.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I tend to agree with Wa'il, there is no way would I allow a job to cause me to eat their way. My body is just as important and if I am following a plan to get myself healthy then they will have to just understand this.