Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 01:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334/240/190 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Tuna is getting nasty these days

I bought a few cans of tuna a few weeks back and have been eating them off and on and have noticed that the canned tuna has started tasting like crap. Every can(two different brands) tasted really fishy and gritty. Then I bought the tuna in a pouch that costs twice as much and doesnt even give you the amount of canned(Same brands) and noticed they tasted great. I ate a few more over the next week and it was all good. Then I went back to cans and again it tasted like I was eating crap. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 04:17
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I never buy anything but the pouches! You can get the Wal-Mart brand for fairly cheap, and to me, it tastes just like the more expensive stuff! I agree, I think the canned stuff is pretty nasty!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 04:23

Stats: 222/178.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have found that the brand is a real factor in the quality and taste of tuna. Here, I buy Imperial, and it is quite good. The extra cost is worth it, as I hate the other stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 04:30

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I haven't noticed it yet, and hope I do not Because I have been enjoying my 10 pack of Tuna Cans from Sams Club.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:02

Stats: 200/195/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Strange you brought it up. The last few times I've made tuna salad, my whole kitchen has smelled terrible. I rinse out the can and all the utensils. My husband has come in and complained about the smell. The cutting board that I use to cut up the tuna reeked. I soaked it in water with bleach and I washed it in the dishwasher 3 times before the smell was gone. I had never had this problem before.

Foody
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:18
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My husband eats a lot of tuna, and he's been complaining about this lately too. Seems like half the cans he opens we end up throwing away, because they smell super strong (yes, much stronger than usual) and have that weird black or red stuff in them. Yuck! He doesn't care for the tuna in a pouch, but I love it. Wish it was cheaper, though!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hmmm....I'm not a big tuna fan anyway....my mom always called it cat food and actually bought it for one of our cats when i was younger. When I do try to eat some i have to agree....it smells and even tastes nastier than usual...think i'll just steer clear..lol.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:53

Stats: 332/296/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 25%

i just started eating tuna on atkins, i never really liked it that much, but i add mustard w/ the mayo and it is more bearable.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:36

Stats: 225/202/125 Female 66in
BF:
Progress: 23%
Cool

Speaking of tuna....
I've been eating alot of it lately and was wondering how much protein does everyone else consume. 1 6oz can has 32.5 grams ~ 57.5% of the daily value. Do most of you eat more than 100%. Can you eat too much protein?
Just wondering,
brandi
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:39
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad830
Speaking of tuna....
I've been eating alot of it lately and was wondering how much protein does everyone else consume. 1 6oz can has 32.5 grams ~ 57.5% of the daily value. Do most of you eat more than 100%. Can you eat too much protein?
Just wondering,
brandi

Yes, don't be worried about eating too much protein. We need it to keep blood sugar normal.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,
Stats: 195/170/150 Female 5'8"
BF:way too much!
Progress: 56%

Yes, I have to agree. The tuna these days is NOT what it used to be.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:20

Stats: 225/202/125 Female 66in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thank you ItsTheWoo I wasn't very sure about that and i couldn't remember reading it in the atkins book. I'm sure it was in there somewhere but that was a lot of info to take in.
Brandi
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:37

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Is this the cheap canned tuna you all are talking about? That stuff is gross, but we've been buying the canned albacore tuna and haven't had any trouble with it. Costco has an excellent deal on it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:01

Plan: not-so-strict Atkins
Stats: 130/126/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 20%

Yeah, I haven't noticed any change in the albacore. It's the only stuff I didn't think was nasty in the first place, though.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 12:39

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
just started eating tuna on atkins, i never really liked it that much, but i add mustard w/ the mayo and it is more bearable.

I second the mustard idea! I use 1 can of tuna, 1 tablespoon of mayo, a good squirt of mustard, 1/2 a tablespoon of sweet relish(cant give it up), seasoning salt and some crushed pepper. It turns out wonderful

As for Protein do not follow the USDA requirements IMO. You need MORE than 60 grams of Protein, especially if you are lifting weights. I get approximately 200 grams of Protein PER DAY.