Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 04:26

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry arrrrggghhh PMS

This afternoon I am sure I have been suffering the worse PMS symptons I've had in a long time. Yelled and screamed at DH, hit and kicked several kitchen appliances and this computer is running so slow I'm ready to slam it across the room. I'm usually not like that, yes can be argumentive but not screaming, usually I get a "I do everything around here, no one helps me" feeling and can keep it to myself. Last month I'm sure I had very mild symptons. That was when I first began low carbing. Usually only lasts for a day but I was pretty angry at times yesterday too. I have been bad this week with sugar intake and yes flour products too, there's no way I ate like I used to. I'm wondering if all this crap in my system is part of it. I have been good today, stayed low carb, though was desperate for diet pepsi, I bought a 2 litre bottle, had 2 glasses so far.
I know what set me off with the eating of hicarbs, the fact that I had no food prepared and it was so easy just to grab anything. Tonight I made enough dinner to freeze 2 portions and have another dish baking. Those and the lowcarb muffins I made this morning should help me through.

I'm feeling calmer now, but still have the "I'm going to cry at any moment" feeling. Grrrrr
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 04:30
roll on the weekend!

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 208/174/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Cheryl - i completely know what you are talking about. When I did Atkins first time around I was exactly the same and my husband nearly left for a few nights on some occasions. I also suffer from really bad cramps - worse than ever before. Someone once advised me to increase my carbs ever so slightly just before and it does work a little better. Back on Atkins now (induction) and not looking forward to going through it again. I will be checking what sort of replies you get for my own knowledge!!!!
Vic x
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 05:20

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks, I can feel it lifting, I'm so much happier now, even had a chuckle and that was at my own posting (see pork crackling message). I was wondering whether it was due to all the sugar and flour products I have succumbed to. I didn't go over board like days of old but still. I can't remember having problems with TOM the first time around, I know I bloated. My last TOM, 2nd week of induction went for way over time, almost double. But no major cramps, was getting them before. We'll see what happens this time, must note it in my diary.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 09:38
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It gets better. Your body is still adjusting, and IMHO I do think the carby foods are part of it as well. Going off plan with a sugary or starchy treat makes me feel like crud anyway, couple it with PMS, and LOOK OUT!

I haven't consciously upped my carbs during PMS. Personally, I'm afraid that would set me off with worse cravings than ever. I do find, though, that my appetite increases and I tend to overdo on "legal" things.

All I know for sure is it did seem my PMS was worse when I first started, but has returned to pretty close to normal.

You may want to check the supplements area of the forum and see if they have any advice for supplements that could help.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%

I am with you on this one - I have never been so short-tempered (nice way of putting it) during PMS as I have been these days.

I didn't correlate it with the low carbing but hmmmm... something to think about.

I take midol pms (and evening primrose oil has been suggested to me) but am not sure really that they do anything for me - better yet, for those around me!

Penny
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 18:11

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Don'tcha just want to crawl into a hole and stay there??? I do! My PMS isn't as bad since I started low-carbing, but eating funky hi-carb stuff will make me feel as if I had PMS---and if it is actually that time, WATCH OUT!

Any time I have a real cheat I get very depressed and start crying. So I think it is the combo of the time of the month and the carbs.

Since we use NFP and my temp drops just before my period, dh will ask if I'm feeling better...it's amazing how that progesterone makes you feel so rotten! And when the temp drops, the sun comes out again. Whew!

Glad you're feeling better. Stay away from the carbs!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 18:13
California Dreamin

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

I sure feel what your feeling..I have all the symptoms you have mentioned during PMS..Its really a bummer...I haven't noticed too many differences in the symptoms since I started LCing, they have always been and continue to be miserable!! I take Motrin round the clock for the first two days, then I'm feeling a little better once the cramps subside a bit. It does seem like exercise helps, but its hard the first couple of days because I feel so run down..I have to kick my butt to go to work!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 00:07
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

help! I am having such bad cravings that the little chicken legs and steaks under our names are looking good

...breathing deeply, muttering 'this too shall pass, this too shall pass'