Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 21:35

Plan: Trying to decide whats best
Stats: 155/140/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Smile Question from Hamilton Ontario!

Hey Guys!

I am new on here, and new to the whole low-carb thing. I weight train 3 times a week, and do my cardio, but I knew that my diet would have to change in order to really see results.
I have been skeptical about diet plans, just because there are so many gimmics out there. I was hoping people could tell me more about low carb, and how the diet has helped them. I have read low-carb was just low-calorie in disguise. Is it really true you can eat anything you want (ie: bacon, etc) and not gain weight? I think the way society has shaped our learning, it is hard to shake old myths that fat does not make you fat.
I am trying to get on the low carb ball, but unfortunately I find myself running into dead ends as to where to find low carb food that is good and not going to break my bank. I noticed my local grocery store is now supplying Dempsters low carb bread...6 net carbs a slice. Not bad I'd say. But I wanted to find the Atkins shakes, etc. Does anyone live in the Hamilton area that could give me some advice?

Thanks everyone!

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 06:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/166/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 70%

I to am close to Hamilton and actually come in there to do our major shopping.

I have been doing low carb since Jan 26 and have decided I am not going to buy all that over priced over produced stuff.

I eat natural stuff, Ceaser salad, chicken, beef, any meat but do try to stay away from cured meats and bacons mostly as they have been chemically cured adn I don't want the chemicals.

I don't eat bread crackers, rice, any starch and funny enough for me I don't miss it. Me I used to eat bagel for breakfast, toast for lunch, bread with dinner or popcorn then popcorn for snack. Weeks would go buy with no veggies or WATER. Just tea every day.

I am now caffiene free. I drink decaf now. I also drink decaf coffee with the oscars s/f syrups UMMMMMMMMM what a treat.

I think atkins to me means more natural food because the low fat chips, and products didn't work why would the low carb stuff?
Besides I be dammed to pay 6.99 for a box of craft dinner and from what I heard tastes gross.

I have lost 12 lbs since Jan 26 and am really glad I am eating this way.
a few sugar free jelly beans sure played havac with me a couple times as well as getting the S/F Baskin robbin Chocolat mint hard candies causing a stall.

I have eggwhites for breakfast, ceaser with whatever meat from night before for lunch, and meat for dinner. ribs, roast whatever.
Celery with cream chease for snacks,
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 18:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

If you really want to know how to do this, you should first buy the book that explains whatever type of low carb you are interesting in doing, either Dr. Atkins Dandr or South Beach or whatever, because if you don't do it properly it probably won't work!. If you want to check it out in the meantime you could go to the Atkins website or check on the righthand side above here, on what low carb plan is right for me!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/150/125 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 55%

MaryMary84 everyone has given you some great advice. All I can add is to be sure you drink plenty of water. I also live in Hamilton. I have a? for you, I haven't seen Dempsters LC bread, I am just curious,were do you buy it not that I'd buy it, I like the others avoid proccessed foods and go for natural ingredient. Being a chef, at present I make my own Lc bread and not very often. I'll make aloaf, freeze it and if I feel like a slice then I'll have 1.

Last edited by chefs : Tue, Mar-09-04 at 09:58.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:20

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Hamilton folk!

If you would like, keep an eye here for a low-carb dinner in Toronto, as we plan to be in the Bloor west area, west end toronto at the end of the month. It's a drive, but it's worth it! (no copyright infringement laws there, right?)

Mary
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:39
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Mary!

Before you start your diet, buy the Dr Atkins book ASAP! You should be able to find the softcover book for under 10 bucks, and you need to read it before you start as it will dispell many of the myths that the media is brewing about the diet. For example, you mentioned bacon. The media love the fact that you can eat bacon and often show a half a pig worth of bacon on a plate. This is an out and out lie! Bacon, like all foods, must be eaten in moderation. That's 2-3 slices for most people..

Another thing that is very important is the knowing of when to avoid the fake foods like the Dempsters Low Carb bread. These foods may be less carb, but they are not really suitable until you are firmly entrenched in your diet routine. Just tasting bread (even LC bread) is enough to bring back those carb cravings that made us all fat in the first place, plus the fact that these foods often cause weight loss to slow down or stop altogether.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, as we are all here to help each other out.

Cheers and healthy eating!

Jason
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:51

Stats: 240/205/160 Male 5'8"
BF:Scared to find out
Progress: 44%

MaryMary, I can only repeat what everyone here has already said.

1. Find out which low-carb plan is right for you
2. Buy the book (or beg, borrow or steal one) - this is very important. You SHOULD have the book to read and refer continually.
3. Eat real food, not the processed stuff like sausages or ham or jerkies or pepperoni. Eat real meat. I would say even avoid bacon, at least in the beginning, because I have found it impossible to buy bacon that has not been cured with nitrates here in the Hamilton area.
4. You have to get used to the idea that you will never again eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, chocolates, cakes, pastries, bagels, doughnuts, jams, most salad dressings and sauces etc.
5. Drink lots and lots of water (80 fl.oz or 3 litres per day). You may think this is easay, but trust me, it is not. You have to make a conscious effort to remember and drink a big glass of water every hour that you are awake in order to comply with this requirement. It is like remembering to take your medicines.

However, all this is not permanent, you can start adding carbs slowly once you are past the strict induction phase.

You say you find it difficult to find low carb food. Take a tip - do not go in for all this packaged low-carb crap, all those are just marketing ploys by the corporations who want their slice of the pie. Do all your shopping only in the perimeter areas of the supermarket, never go into the middle aisles at all, and cook your own food!

Cheers and welcome to the lowcarb way of life.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:52

Stats: 240/205/160 Male 5'8"
BF:Scared to find out
Progress: 44%

Chef,

Dempster's low carb bread is available in most grocery stores, I saw it at The Barn in University Plaza.

Cheers
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:34
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

The Barn (and most other stores) in the Hamilton area do sell the Dempster's Low Carb bread. I have also seen it at Food Basics and Price Chopper.
The Barn at Upper Ottawa and Stonechurch also sells the atkins bread now too. It is right next to the Weight Watcher's bread. (Go figure)
Across from the Barn at the above intersection is also The Low Carb Store which is run by a very nice lady. They have a good selection there and I like thier location......right next to a meat and deli store. It is the perfect low carb combination IMO.