Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 06:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "DuPont pushes soy as the next teflon"

DuPont pushes soy as the next teflon

With TV ads, company hopes to raise its name recognition, ignite sales

By FRED BIDDLE, Staff reporter, 03/03/2004

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsj...tpushessoy.html

The DuPont Co.'s latest commercials tout foods containing its brand of soy protein. But the ads also are part of DuPont's efforts to convince Wall Street it still has a knack for turning commodity products into premium brands, at a time when it sees few other opportunities to raise prices.

"Which contains protein?" asks one of four 15-second TV spots from the Solae Co., a DuPont joint venture. The commercial's fictional game-show contestant picks a rack of lamb, not V8 Splash Smoothies made with Solae soy protein. "Both" is the right answer, the commercial says.

"Protein in Unexpected Places" is the name of the new ad campaign, which debuted this week and will air on cable TV networks. DuPont has struggled in recent years with building on its famous name, even as rival BASF Corp. has gained recognition with commercials that end: "We don't make a lot of the products you buy. We make a lot of the products you buy better."

"We're doing with the Solae brand exactly what we've done with Teflon, Tyvek, products like that, where we have created an ingredient brand," Chief Executive Charles O. Holliday Jr. told analysts in New York City last week. That's "something that has not been done in the food industry," he said. Although ingredients such as the artificial sweetener Nutrasweet have become big brands, no company has successfully branded such a basic nutrient as protein, a Solae executive said.

Until now, DuPont's commercials have had little to do with the success of some of its biggest products. Tyvek, a multipurpose insulating wrap, is better known because its name is printed in big blue letters on wrap visible from the road as houses and other buildings are erected.

But last year, the company consolidated all of its marketing and communications for the first time, naming New York-based Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide as its lead agency. Now, Ogilvy's commercials for Solae directly spotlight what may be DuPont's biggest recent success.

Solae's annual sales already have surpassed $1 billion. That's 25 percent higher than DuPont projected in January 2003, when the subsidiary was transformed into a 72 percent-owned joint venture with White Plains, N.Y.-based oil-seed producer Bunge Ltd. Overall, DuPont's net sales grew 13 percent in 2003, to $27 billion.

Although the new commercials coincide with the high-protein, low-carb Atkins diet craze and recent meat safety scares, "they're essentially tailwinds for us," Todd Sutton, Solae's global marketing director, said Tuesday.

He said Solae's presence in 40 products, ranging from Snapple-a-Day beverages to Gardenbuger meatless foods, represents a critical mass that favors advertising the brand in frequent short commercials with one message: Solae soy equals protein.

"We think that when consumers find out that they don't have to eat a slab of pork or a chunk of lamb to get protein, it will be memorable," Sutton said in a statement Sunday, as the first of the Solae commercials debuted on Joan Rivers' pre-Oscar program on cable television.

DuPont wants soy to be as successful as Teflon, which was in countless products before cookware made it nearly synonymous with pots and pans. Soy protein now accounts for less than 1 percent of all protein consumed worldwide. Only 3 percent of soybeans are used in food protein applications, according to a recent report by New York's Buckingham Research Group. Most soybeans are used in animal feed, cooking oils or industrial products such as paint.

DuPont has long cited new products, not new brands, as the way to growth. But linking Solae to soy in the public's mind could help DuPont command a bigger premium from food companies using it, as the company did with cookware makers who used Teflon instead of other nonstick coatings.

Such opportunities don't come along too often. DuPont executives recently told analysts they don't expect the recovery to enable them to widely raise prices on the company's roughly 79,000 products. And last week, Holliday ruled out increasing sales by acquiring big companies, another way DuPont has boosted sales in the past.

What's more, BASF isn't the only chemical company to have successfully courted the public with commercials. One of the biggest, the 3M Co., all but redefined itself with its heavily advertised Post-It Notes.

"Solae is important in improving the name recognition of DuPont, and targeting the consumer directly may move the company closer to 3M in the minds of investors," said Frank Mitsch, who follows both companies for Fulcrum Global Partners in New York. "However, this will not happen overnight."

Reach Fred Biddle at 324-2878 or fbiddle~delawareonline.com.

BRANDS WITH SOLAE

• 8th Continent soy milk

• V8 Splash Smoothies

• Gardenburger meatless foods

• Snapple-a-Day meal replacement beverages

• Harmony cereal

• GeniSoy bars and beverages

• Mori-Nu tofu

• Yves Veggie Cuisine deli slices and hot dogs

• Nu-Go Nutrition-to-Go bars

• Naturade Total Soy beverages
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 21:04

Plan: Caveman/Mercola
Stats: 228/176/160 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 76%

#3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 21:17
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Those brands should be read like a list of brands to avoid...
and how dare they compare soy protein to pork or lamb???
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is sad.

My b/f and I just agreed to cut out almost all soy. He's a vegetarian, so it was nice to have all those gardenburgers etc, but the soy's gotta go.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

What is wrong with soy??? I read that anti-soy article, and i hope we all know that everything must be taken with a grain of salt. Especially if you do Atkins- There have been anti-Atkins articles. I say show me the actual proof and ALL the studies done by reputable sources. Needless to say, i still remain on Atkins and i still eat Soy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:02

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

If the message that soy is used to make paint and cardboard boxes isn't enough, check out the following:

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/302poison.jsp
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html
http://www.theomnivore.com/The%20Soy%20Page.html
http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pasti...lyaug02/soy.htm
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/soydangers.html
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm
http://www.soyinfo.com/dangers.shtml
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rwgully/basics/soy.htm
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

A couple of quotes from one of the above articles:

" James explains that soy protein is still not legal in the FDA's jurisdiction. "It is only approved as a cardboard sealer, never got legal approval to be in baby foods, and fails the FAO Codex guideline for safe vegetable protein, since it is reproductively, chronically, mutagenically and teratagenically toxic."
"Even ANZFA has found, and kept hidden, in its March 1999 Assessment that it poses a health hazard in sexual maturation, sexual differentiation, foetal and neo-natal brain development, and thyroid function."

Last edited by Hellistile : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 14:28.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 04:20

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
James explains that soy protein is still not legal in the FDA's jurisdiction. "It is only approved as a cardboard sealer, never got legal approval to be in baby foods, and fails the FAO Codex guideline for safe vegetable protein, since it is reproductively, chronically, mutagenically and teratagenically toxic."

It is in every Pot-Noodle ???It is part of most ready made foods ???
I think this James guy is lying there.....

What is true is, that Soy can mess up the estrogen. I am not too clued up about soy, as I don't like it, but the one thing I remember about soy was, that it somehow mimics female hormones. But I am sure the beef we eat has the same effect (unless you can affort organic).....
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 06:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninmidmo

Here is an interesting extract from the link above about that we can all relate to

Quietly financed by the industries whose products were being evaluated, these "independent" research agencies would churn out "scientific" studies and press materials that could create any image their handlers wanted. Such front groups are given high-sounding names like:

Temperature Research Foundation Manhattan Institute
International Food Information Council Center for Produce Quality
Consumer Alert Tobacco Institute Research Council
The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition Cato Institute
Air Hygiene Foundation
American Council on Science and Health
Industrial Health Federation Global Climate Coalition
International Food Information Council Alliance for Better Foods

Sound pretty legit don't they?

Canned News Releases

As Stauber explains, these organizations and hundreds of others like them are front groups whose sole mission is to advance the image of the global corporations who fund them, like those listed on page 2 above.

This is accomplished in part by an endless stream of 'press releases' announcing "breakthrough" research to every radio station and newspaper in the country. (Robbins) Many of these canned reports read like straight news, and indeed are purposely molded in the news format.

This saves journalists the trouble of researching the subjects on their own, especially on topics about which they know very little. Entire sections of the release or in the case of video news releases, the whole thing can be just lifted intact, with no editing, given the byline of the reporter or newspaper or TV station - and voilá! Instant news - copy and paste. Written by corporate PR firms.

Does this really happen? Every single day, since the 1920s when the idea of the News Release was first invented by Ivy Lee. (Stauber, p 22) Sometimes as many as half the stories appearing in an issue of the Wall St. Journal are based solely on such PR press releases.. (22)

These types of stories are mixed right in with legitimately researched stories. Unless you have done the research yourself, you won't be able to tell the difference.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:58
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Hehe, thanks for posting this Angeline, I think we can all relate to the example you highlighted.
These articles on mercola's website truly are must read...

I have to add that (and I'm sure that I'm far from the only one here), since I became interested in low carb nutrition back in 2001, I have learned so much about nutrition (of course), but especially about how the government and the media are corrupt and in the hands of the big companies, and how they control what we think...
And I'm very grateful I know what I do!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 15:17

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Speaking from experience

When I wrote press releases for my art gallery, I always wrote them journalistically so they could just be insterted into the newspaper (as I was taught to do in the marketing class I took that was geared to art gallery owners). A number of my press releases were published (they were gallery show announcements afterall), and no one ever called me to verify the information I put into them or to preview the artists.

I've never commented on this before, but whenever we read an article that has clearly not been researched, my first thought is that it was a press release -- i.e. propoganda.

And one more note: I read an article on Yahoo news today that actually listed the source as a press release. I had never seen that before. I hope it's a trend.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%
Default Dupont pushes soy

[COLOR=Black][FONT=Times New Roman]

Harvard Medical School now warns about the "Dark Side of Soy."
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 15:59
Registered Member

BF:

LOL, the dark side of soy eh??? Jeez, people... Give me any food and i can find an article debunking its nutritional value. I can find ones for beef, vegetables, poultry and fish off the top of my head.
I can use my common sense to know that asian people have eaten Soy for the longest periods of time, they are not as fat as americans and they seem pretty healthy to me. I want ya'll to understand that you cant read articles and studies and believe them to be the God given truth.
Use your common sense and rationality, and realize that the media can twist things and studies can be funded by organizations that want you to believe a certain thing so they will benefit. Works in either way, so take it with a grain of salt.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/179.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariJaneTN
I can use my common sense to know that asian people have eaten Soy for the longest periods of time, they are not as fat as americans and they seem pretty healthy to me.

Asian people have eaten fermented soy products, like Soy Sauce and tempeh, which from what I've read neutralizes most of the harmful effects of soy. They also consumed an average of something like 30g per day max, whereas the typical American soy-lover is consuming many times that by eating products such as tofu and soy additives, which are not fermented and therefore deliver the full effect of phytoestrogens and other chemicals that we're not equipped to handle.

Like TboneMitch, I've become very interested in nutrition since I've begun low-carbing, and so I tend to be wary of anything that is toxic if it's not thoroughly processed, like soybeans are.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 17:56

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I am not really up on what's happening in Asian countries, but I read this article recently that makes me wonder if Asians are really doing much better than the rest of us:

More than 200 million Chinese overweight

BEIJING (AFP) - More than 200 million Chinese are overweight, corresponding nearly to the entire population of Indonesia, state media reported.

Among the overweight Chinese, 30 million are directly obese, the Xinhua news agency said, citing Li Chunsheng, a doctor affiliated with the Chinese Academy of Traditional Medicine.

Beijing, one of the country's wealthiest cities, had particularly severe problems, the agency reported.

More than 18 percent of the capital's primary and middle school students are characterized as obese, nearly a doubling from a decade ago, the agency said.

The findings confirm a pattern observed in many other countries where rising standards of living make non-infectious chronic diseases a rising danger to public health.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:12
Registered Member

BF:

Is tofu fermented?? I honestly dont know, but i think asians eat that too, i dont know if its fermented or not. Your right soy is an added filler in many foods, probably too many, but i dont think its as bad as people make it out to be... On that note, anything in large quantites can be a bad thing.
In a reply to chinese obesity doubling- i think that is because of western influence. Asian countries probably didnt have Mcdonalds a decade ago. I think that would have to be because of carbs and not soy.