Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Feeling poorly

Hiya
I've been feeling a bit off colour for over a week now - think it's to do with coming off Zoloft.
Does anyone have any good ideas for Atkins friendly foods for when you're poorly? I must say I'm not keen on eggs, but any suggestions would be welcomed.
Becks x x x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 08:41

Stats: 215/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I swear by the Atkins candy. I also like the fudge bars made by Carb Smart. They are only 3 net carbs each. They are really light and creamy. (Very comforting
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 08:58
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Please try not to look for food in place of emotional comfort. I understand how difficult going off Zoloft is, I was on it for 6 years and abruptly stopped it the day of my mothers funeral. It will take time to feel normal again. Heck to actually FEEL again was my biggest thrill. If you ever want to talk, just PM me, I'm here for you! Try getting out of the house more. Do you have any pets? They are wonderful for helping you get through this. I also found that vitamin b12 extended release helped me immensely, something I learned from my mom who was bi-polar. Anyhow, just take it easy, and if at times you feel like crying, then cry!

Take care,
melissa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:19

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

That is a tough one. I quit taking zoloft years ago and quit very abruptly. Mood swing city yes, but I felt like I had returned to the land of the living. I cannot stand that "flat" feeling I always had.

Try exercise! It will bring up your endorphins and can cause a natural "high". I didn't believe it either but it is 150% true!

Orchid
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:26

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I took this to mean that you felt 'sick-like' so if I'm off please excuse me...

Saute a few light lc veggies, like celery and onions, and add it to beef or chicken broth. Home made soup. Hope you feel better soon.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:44

BF:

Hi there - thanks for your replies.
I'm feeling physically ill rather than mentally - my moods are OK (Apart from TOM like everyone else!). I've been feeling a little weak, sick in my stomach, sometimes faint, often dizzy, headaches, lack of energy, palpitations, etc. I saw my doctor about it last week who suggested it's side effects due to coming off zoloft. I'm not craving white bread, potatos, pasta etc - I'm just finding it very difficult to stomach most food at the moment, all I wanted today was SF lemonade and chicken soup! If it does continue I'm seeing the doctor again on Monday...
As an aside, I joined a new gym last week (Closer to work so more accessible) which I've been attending, and we've got a grumpy little guinea pig who we have out for cuddles on a daily basis
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 15:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I find soups to be a good and easy comfort food.
I havent done anything too complicated just beef broth and mushroom/spring onion "french onion" soup. I added lots of cheese too (motzerella and parmesan) over a torn up slice of lc bread.

Or chicken buillion-use rotisserie chicken from grocery -they are spicier.Spring onion and celery or even califlower.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 21:01
Registered Member

Stats: 337/337/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

First off rebsee,
I want to commend you on your choice to get off the SSRI Zoloft. That takes alot of strength. Are you going off it because its slowing down your weight loss? I'm seriously considering asking to go off my meds for a while to see if just keeping my carbs low and exercising is enough to keep me from feeling depressed or anxious. I've noticed that I get by taking less and less as I lose weight (although my doctor would want me to keep it steady). I have a degree in psychology and I am going to be a counselor, I don't want to keep taking these things forever. Good luck friend!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 20:11

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I agree with bevbme, nothing makes me feel better physically when I'm nauseous or otherwise feeling poorly, than soup. I use chicken broth (Swansons or campbells) and add some egg and cheese for an egg drop kinda thing.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 20:12

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

p.s. sometimes I add sliced mushrooms and scallions too, but I can't take those on my stomach if my stomach is upset.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 20:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'd also recommend some beef or chicken broth with some light vegetables thrown in and maybe a little extra chicken if you have it around.
Sugar-free jello can be a lifesaver when you're stomach is queesy as well as sugar-free, caffeine-free pop such as Diet Rite (Diet Vernors, 7-UP or Sprite are also options if you're not trying to avoid Aspartame).
Peppermint, Ginger or Chamomile teas are all soothing to the stomach and have a pleasant taste as well.
Hope you're feeling better soon!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 08:34

BF:

Hi

Thanks for all your replies.
I want to get off the Zoloft as I'm through my period of needing it - the impact on my weight caused by the Zoloft isn't as important to me as feeling like me again. My emotions are now much more stable than they were 6 months ago when they were prescribed, except that now my counsellor has helped me to recognise I'm still angry, I'm angry sometimes when I never used to be. Still, angry is easier to deal with than distraught. I know now that the physical symptoms I'm dealing with are caused by the withdrawl from the Zoloft - I've just gotta fight through it. Been ill all weekend and off work sick today I've got dizziness, nausea, palpitations, headache, hot and cold flushes. Doc say's it's all normal side effects of the drug Spent all day yesterday feeling like someone had wrapped an invisible layer of cotton wool all around me - yuck! so hard to shake that feeling....
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 09:52
Registered Member

Stats: 337/337/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

rebsee,
I totally relate to that invisible cotton wool feeling, I have it on and off any meds. But keep up the good work, you'll be feeling better soon!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsee
Hiya
I've been feeling a bit off colour for over a week now - think it's to do with coming off Zoloft.
Does anyone have any good ideas for Atkins friendly foods for when you're poorly? I must say I'm not keen on eggs, but any suggestions would be welcomed.
Becks x x x

Ignore this post... it seems you are feeling physically ill, and have already received good advice about that. Sorry .

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Mon, Mar-08-04 at 10:12.