Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:02

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%
Default hungry by noon??

anybody else starving by noon, even with breakfast at 8 or 9am. but then survive just fine till dinner at 6???

i know i usually don't eat as much for breakfast as i do for lunch, but it is really crazy how hungry i get between breakfast and lunch.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fruit and dairy even acceptable ones(I'm on a 60carb day for Curves diet) make me extremely hungry. If I eat them I have to do it in evening.
Eat a protein breakfast then a mid morning snack before you get out of control hungry.

My bad time is 3:30 to 6:00pm -after that I don't feel hungry if I eat or not-go figure.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:23

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

sometimes I have to almost force myself to consider lunch, I'm not hungry for it.
I usually have protein of some sort (frequently a custard concoction that I make and cook in the microwave once I get to work).

Even when I have tuna salad or something similar, I am usually quite content until lunch, and my breakfast is sometime between 0630 and 0700, so it is a reasonable distance from lunch.

Plenty of water, or even a cup of herbal tea may help abate the cravings. Even a legal snack (depending on where you are on the plan) may help with your problem.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Why not increase what you are having at breakfast? Remember your body has gone many hours without eating while you sleep. You might need just a little more to get started in the morning. Also look at what you are having for breakfast. Is there something that could be triggering hunger or cravings? Do you regularly have coffee at breakfast and not lunch?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:34

at breakfast, what i eat fills me up. and i do snack if i need to. i get to "cheating" cravings. i just think it strange that i get so hungry after 2-3 hours from breakfast, but then go 6 hrs to dinner no problem. (although sometimes i have a little snack somewhere around 4)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:37

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I am eat a very hearty breakfast so I am good until about 2 PM or so for lunch... but I am always really hungry for dinner. I've started having a cup of tea and slice of cheese around 4 to help me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yes, me too. For the past week I've been tap tap tapping my fingers along about 11:30 in anticipation of lunchtime! And I do eat a big breakfast!

Of course I could just eat my lunch, but then the afternoon would be worse. And I'm starving by dinner time!

I guess it's time to start packing some mid day snacks...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:35

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
frequently a custard concoction that I make and cook in the microwave once I get to work).

You got me interested. I am bored of the same breakfast every day. What is the custard concotion ?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/147/140 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:
Default "custard concoction"

someone mentioned a "custard concoction that helped curb their appetite. Does anyoone know what it is?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:53

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%
Default My concoction

Basically, it's the following - nothing extravagant, and you could make adjustments based on your individual taste:

1/4 c dry curd cottage cheese
2 T cream
2 eggs
1 scoop Designer Whey (have tried others, but like that one the best)

Sometimes, for variety I add a few blueberries right out of the freezer, and possibly a couple scrapings of nutmeg

Mix it together

If home - you can fry it in the pan like a pancake
I usually mix it and take it with me to work, so it gets nuked for about 3.5 minutes (I am not sure how old the microwave is, so your time may vary).

Makes a pancake/custard type mixture, and I am really full till noon or past that time. Lately, I haven't even had the time for a cup of tea mid-morning, and I don't miss it terribly - I'm still full/satisfied.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:04

hum, sounds interesting. i have some cottage cheese that i though i would try with fruit. found out i really don't like it too much!!hehe. i don't know what "dry curd" is though. is it in the same section as the regular stuff??
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:38

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:

Here's some things I found about dry curd cottage cheese:

From http://www.inform.dk/djembe/scd/4fa...escription.html
"Dry curd cottage cheese (dccc) is a high-protein, sugar-free cheese cheese is known by different names throughout the word. In some regions, it is called "farmer cheese" while in other areas it is called "baker cheese."
As described on pages 44 and 45 of Breaking The Vicious Cycle, you should try to find a source of dry curd cottage cheese for many of the recipes found in the book and on this web site.

No matter what it is called, dccc shares certain characteristics: (1) It is a white, dry curd which has not had additional fluid added to it after the fermentation; (2) Since it has been separated from the lactose-rich whey and has been treated with a bacterial culture which eliminates residual lactose, its lactose content is negligible. It is best to use an uncreamed dry curd cottage cheese.

In some areas, it is packed in plastic bags while in other places, it is packed in containers containing about one cup. Sometimes it can be purchased in larger containers, which can be divided into suitable serving sizes, and frozen to be taken out of the freezer as it is needed."

There is a list of locations at http://www.inform.dk/djembe/scd/8re...rd_sources.html

From http://www.ams.usda.gov/../dairy/cottage_cheese.pdf
4.0 Composition requirements.
4.1 Dry Curd Cottage Cheese
Moisture – not more than 80 percent by weight of the finished food.
Milkfat – not more than 0.5 percent by weight of the finished food.
pH – not more than 5.2
4.2 Creamed Cottage Cheese
Moisture – not more than 80 percent by weight of the finished food.
Milkfat – not less than 4 percent by weight of the finished food.
pH – not more than 5.2

I read on one of the sites I found that freezind DCCC will make it creamier and more suitable for recipes.

Since my state is not among those listed, I wonder if I could just drain regular cottage cheese and use that? Wouldn't get the advantage of being lactose-free, but better than nothing I guess.

Hope this helps
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I eat a protein rich breakfast and by lunchtime ( 3-4 hours later ), I am ready for a good lunch. If my dinner is going to be late, I will have a protein snack in between those meals. In general, I am hungry in 3 hours, or so, after my last meal.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:55

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have had virtually no problem with hunger since I started eating 4-6 smaller meals a day rather that 3 larger ones. And one of the benefits of eating this way is that it keeps the metabolism nicely chugging along.

Marlaine
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 12:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

The farmers cheese I find here is very solid and a semi hard cheese. I think it's different, but all the nutritional info I find online refers to the cottage cheese one. I wonder if they are the same after all.

I always thought dry curd was just that, curds.